Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch sticking/not releasing (meant for 4-stroke)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch sticking/not releasing (meant for 4-stroke)

The last time I rode my bike (after it had sat then shipped from OH to CA), I noticed it was hard to feel where the clutch was grabbing/releasing - it 'felt' like it was doing nothing, but pulling the clutch did let the RPM rise. Then, yesterday I went to move the bike in the garage and wasn't able to move it in gear with the clutch lever pulled; I had to put it in neutral.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-12-2017, 04:24 PM.

Take it apart and see what's wrong. Right?
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Sure - although I was hoping someone would say "that happens, just ride it and it will get unstuck" I've got 3 vehicles and only 1 space in a garage so I need to be smart about what projects I take on at any given time.

Comment

I poured a bottle of stuff in the crank case and it seemed to help. I think it was called....uh....mmmmooooottttoooorrrrr oooooiiiiilllll.

Comment

Doh!!! I knew this was a trick question!
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Is this the new Gixxus? If it is the GS my 850 is always grabby after a long nap. "Just ride it and it will unstick itself" Really.
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
              Is this the new Gixxus? If it is the GS my 850 is always grabby after a long nap. "Just ride it and it will unstick itself" Really.
              Oh God, no. I wouldn't be that calm about it if it was But I also wouldn't let it sit long enough to find out!!

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
              If it is the GS my 850 is always grabby after a long nap. "Just ride it and it will unstick itself" Really.
              Thanks! I was really hoping to hear this...

Comment

When was the last time you checked/lubricated the clutch cable?
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Not long ago. The 'sticking' isn't in the lever, it's as nothing is really happening when I pull the lever. So far I've only played with it on the center stand, but I had no problem shifting in and out of gear, finding the friction zone, etc. It will be a while before I can road test it as I'm about to tear top end apart. I guess that's not a bad time to open the clutch cover and take a look, just to see how things look.

Comment

Alright, interested in what you'll find.

Reason I was asking is because the described symptoms matched mine shortly before the (PO-bogde'd) clutch cable gave out.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Oh, like maybe the cable stretched and didn't disengage the clutch all the way... I'll let you know what I find. It could still be acting up and I don't realize it because it's on the stand. But, it did take a lot of oil, so we'll see...

Comment

hi I have similar problem with my gs850 with my clutch sticking brand new clutch fitted what could be the problem with it sticking please

Comment

Working...
                        X