Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Dyna S

Hello
    This is my first post and just like to say what a fantastic site.
    I have a 1982 GS650G with Nippon Denso ignition and have upgraded the coils to Dyna coils and leads and now in need of a new Dyna S as my ignitor has a couple of broken wires at the ignitor end and unfortunately so close to the body cannot be repaired.
    Dyna Tech don't list the 650 but cater for all the other capacities so has anybody had this problem acquiring for a 650?
    I believe the Dyna S DS3-2 fits all the 550,750,850 and 1000 with Nippon Denso but will it fit the 650 with Nippon Denso.
    By the way I am in Great Britain
    Thanks for any help in advance

Yes,it fits ,but you have to make cutout for oil sending unit. Dyna figures you can't handle this mod.image.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cheers Tom203 that's great, ye only a small fettling to do, will order and get it on.
      Thanks once again pal.

Comment

Had a look tonight and there is a green and yellow wire coming from the sender unit although my clymer manual says it should be green/white but hayho, am I right in thinking it will have to be incorporated into the new loom that comes from the signal generator?

Comment

Originally posted by Allanc View Post
          Had a look tonight and there is a green and yellow wire coming from the sender unit although my clymer manual says it should be green/white but hayho, am I right in thinking it will have to be incorporated into the new loom that comes from the signal generator?
          Basscliff's website has the factory manual for your bike. I just looked and it says the oil pressure sensor wire should be G/Y with Y=yellow. You need to recycle that wire or the oil pressure light feature will not function.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Tom I will get that schematic from Basscliff's site then I will at least have a good starting point for future work as well.
            Ordering today

Comment

Are you making a whole new loom? Consider just buying used. Here's one off a katana 650....I think all the 650 shafties had a similar harness, except for some usa headlight changes..

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cheers for that but I may tackle that job in the winter if I feel brave!
                Dyna update-
                well fitted all the gear with wiring plumbed in and followed instruction to the letter so no problem there.
                after installation I now have 10.34 volts going to the coils, battery voltage at 12.54 so a lose of over 2 volts.
                if I remove the red while coming from the Dyna I get battery full voltage.
                Anyway I have timed it staticly but the plate is so far clockwise I can barely see the timing marks.
                I have checked the plugs and have spark to all the plugs.
                1. Why 2 volts lose ( wiring resistance maybe)
                2. Why can't I see the timing marks better?
                Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Comment

The power goes thru a long winding path to get to the coils, but yours does sound excessive.When bike is running (with good charging system! ) the ignition system should see a voltage boost.

"Anyway I have timed it staticly but the plate is so far clockwise I can barely see the timing marks."

this seems odd...are there two ways to put on dyna rotor gizmo?....maybe use white out to highlight the marks. I'd think it would be fairly centered in dyna cutout hole.
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

Ye cheers Tom203
                    I did Mark the centre with chalk to check and it went on pointing to the left when 1-4 is at 12 o clock but wouldn't hurt to go back and double check over the procedure.
                    regarding the volt drop last night I turned the crank so the rotor pick up point was 90degrees away from the contacts and the voltage dropped to 9.89, should this not be at battery voltage( open circuit).
                    anyway when I have doulble checked the static timing I will start her up and check the voltage then.
                    On a separate note how does Gs resources fund its self ? Donations? thanks bud

Comment

Hi Allan,

can't take the time to add anything to your DynaS issue, as I don't run one on my 650, but it does sound like you have some undue resistance in the system.

As for the funding of the page, it is by donation. There is a link on the homepage which link you can get to by scrolling to the bottom of any forum page:

'83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Cheers Tom.
                        Last night I did the whole timing setup again and the plate spy hole and mounting screw holes will have to be fettled in order to be spot on as the timing marks are with a hair of being correct.
                        The new plate against the old plate verified this as the spy hole is not in the 12 o'clock position when looking at the mounting holes.
                        I noticed while I was setting it up that the plate when rotated clockwise is touching the oil sender body so that may account for the lose of voltage I hope.

I will make my modifications and if correct I will post my conclusions with picture and descriptions if that's ok.

I will have a look at that link.
                        Cheers Tom

Comment

That sounds strange.. is it possible that black dyna modules were incorrectly installed on their plate? The pic that I attached before was some member's dyna installation (either 450 or 650) - the dyna plate seems to orientated correctly.

1981 gs650L

Comment

Ye had a look at that and my plate has the hole way to the right so maybe your right.

I made my mods with the spy hole and the mounting holes and she has timed up perfectly now with the light coming on advance and when rotated to 1/4 on with the pointer at the f mark, with the mods I have done the plate and holes all look centred now.
                            There is a mark for 1/2 but when rotated to this the light comes on but the marks are left by some margin and cant rotate the module enough to bring it into line.
                            I have been in touch with the supplier and he says this is the right one so maybe your right they have been put on wrong.
                            I will start it up and see how she is over the weekend and post my pictures and conclusions.

1982 gs650gt

Comment

I was thinking the dyna plate was flipped over and then the modules were attached. Carry on

When you do get this running, doublecheck your charging output to make sure it's in 14 volt range
                              1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                              X