Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GS650 Dyna S

Default GS650 Dyna S

Hello
    This is my first post and just like to say what a fantastic site.
    I have a 1982 GS650G with Nippon Denso ignition and have upgraded the coils to Dyna coils and leads and now in need of a new Dyna S as my ignitor has a couple of broken wires at the ignitor end and unfortunately so close to the body cannot be repaired.
    Dyna Tech don't list the 650 but cater for all the other capacities so has anybody had this problem acquiring for a 650?
    I believe the Dyna S DS3-2 fits all the 550,750,850 and 1000 with Nippon Denso but will it fit the 650 with Nippon Denso.
    By the way I am in Great Britain
    Thanks for any help in advance

Yes,it fits ,but you have to make cutout for oil sending unit. Dyna figures you can't handle this mod.image.jpg
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Cheers Tom203 that's great, ye only a small fettling to do, will order and get it on.
    Thanks once again pal.

Had a look tonight and there is a green and yellow wire coming from the sender unit although my clymer manual says it should be green/white but hayho, am I right in thinking it will have to be incorporated into the new loom that comes from the signal generator?

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Allanc View Post
    Had a look tonight and there is a green and yellow wire coming from the sender unit although my clymer manual says it should be green/white but hayho, am I right in thinking it will have to be incorporated into the new loom that comes from the signal generator?
    Basscliff's website has the factory manual for your bike. I just looked and it says the oil pressure sensor wire should be G/Y with Y=yellow. You need to recycle that wire or the oil pressure light feature will not function.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Photos of my bikes (past and present)...http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/Nessism1/

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf

Thanks Tom I will get that schematic from Basscliff's site then I will at least have a good starting point for future work as well.
    Ordering today

Are you making a whole new loom? Consider just buying used. Here's one off a katana 650....I think all the 650 shafties had a similar harness, except for some usa headlight changes..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUZUKI-GS-65...hYkHlV&vxp=mtr
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Cheers for that but I may tackle that job in the winter if I feel brave!
    Dyna update-
    well fitted all the gear with wiring plumbed in and followed instruction to the letter so no problem there.
    after installation I now have 10.34 volts going to the coils, battery voltage at 12.54 so a lose of over 2 volts.
    if I remove the red while coming from the Dyna I get battery full voltage.
    Anyway I have timed it staticly but the plate is so far clockwise I can barely see the timing marks.
    I have checked the plugs and have spark to all the plugs.
    1. Why 2 volts lose ( wiring resistance maybe)
    2. Why can't I see the timing marks better?
    Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The power goes thru a long winding path to get to the coils, but yours does sound excessive.When bike is running (with good charging system! ) the ignition system should see a voltage boost.

"Anyway I have timed it staticly but the plate is so far clockwise I can barely see the timing marks."

this seems odd...are there two ways to put on dyna rotor gizmo?....maybe use white out to highlight the marks. I'd think it would be fairly centered in dyna cutout hole.
    1981 gs650L

Ye cheers Tom203
    I did Mark the centre with chalk to check and it went on pointing to the left when 1-4 is at 12 o clock but wouldn't hurt to go back and double check over the procedure.
    regarding the volt drop last night I turned the crank so the rotor pick up point was 90degrees away from the contacts and the voltage dropped to 9.89, should this not be at battery voltage( open circuit).
    anyway when I have doulble checked the static timing I will start her up and check the voltage then.
    On a separate note how does Gs resources fund its self ? Donations? thanks bud