No announcement yet.

GS650 Dyna S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you said Tom flip it round the light turned on (in my head).
    it was obvious when you said that, anyway I took the plate off the bike took the modules of and put them on the other side.
    the spy hole is as it should be ( to the left of centre) with the modules now in their proper rotation and timed up perfectly on both 1/4 and 2/3 I feel like homer dohhhhh haha.
    The bike started up and runs like a little gooden only got to get a strobe light on it now.
    all I can say is the people putting these together in the factory must be asleep.
    The picture is of the old plate and new plate with the side the modules where put on wrong and the modules location, as you can see they are far too anti clockwise, but when flipped over hay presto.
    "its all experience and Ye never stop learning"
    thats for all Ye input Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2017, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Stuff happens! Bad day at the dyna factory! Glad that you got it
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I noticed the anchor slots for the Dyna are cut really long in comparison to the original plate. Is there any tendency for them to float/slip over time?
        '83 GS650G
        '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I found that if you have a positive lock with the right screwdriver there shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Allanc that last pic was just what I needed! Thanks for the posts on this project. My Dyna S is on the way now and the install should be identical. Also great input tom203!

Comment

Glad it helped ye KYdlux.
              Well after finally having the Gs running great I colour tuned the plugs and most were running very rich and now the plugs are a nice grey colour.
              I decided to take it for a short run but soon as I got it off the stand and into first gear with some throttle it slowly died.
              It struggled to start but was ticking over ok and went down the road and back and died again on the drive.
              I cant start it at now! so will have pull the tank off and start testing.

Comment

Well that's no good! I'd skip the colour tune stuff till the bike was running consistently - might be too lean now.
                my bike gets awoken today after its 5 month nap
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Allanc View Post
                  Glad it helped ye KYdlux.
                  Well after finally having the Gs running great I colour tuned the plugs and most were running very rich and now the plugs are a nice grey colour.
                  I decided to take it for a short run but soon as I got it off the stand and into first gear with some throttle it slowly died.
                  It struggled to start but was ticking over ok and went down the road and back and died again on the drive.
                  I cant start it at now! so will have pull the tank off and start testing.
                  I had similar issues with my 650G when I first brought it over from Salt Spring Island. Drove me nuts until I discovered that one ground point in the electrical chain had vibrated (?) itself loose...

After sorting that out, it would start like a champ, but the idle would start high and slowly work itself down and die. That was sorted out by a good bench and vacuum synch but the idle issues didn't quite go away until I swapped in new carb boots.
                  '83 GS650G
                  '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Ye Tom I know what Ye mean and I may but it back to stock until I've sorted it out but I have done some testing and these are my results.
                    battery voltage 12.57 no lights only ignition.
                    voltage at coils 1.870 ignition on and Dyna connected
                    voltage at coils when pointer is away from Dyna modules 1.870
                    voltage at coils when Dyna disconnected 12.28
                    Coils primery resistance 2.9 ohms
                    Coils secondary resistance 12.60 left 12.64 right
                    i have tried to static time it but obviously the light doesn't come on at all through full rotation of the plate.
                    i have removed the plate and checked the advancer and rotor for smoth operation that's ok but need to somehow check resistance of the power and signal leads on the Dyna to see if I have a break but a fall in voltage from 12.57 to 1.8 seems like a short? i did check the regulated voltage some weeks ago when running and its was within the specs from the stator pages as some say faulty regulator can spike the modules.
                    is there anyway to bench test the modules ? Or have I mist the obvious, thanks BigD 83 I will check the earths.
                    Some time ago I got new carb rubbers and pet cock from Cmsl and fowlers ouch! and bench synched the carbs.
                    What's strange is the bike was running lovely till I took it down the road.

Comment

Well spending some considerable time checking and cleaning all the connections including the fuse box it wasn't in vain.
                      I had the same battery voltage at the Dyna when connected but not attached to the engine but when placed onto the mounting the voltage dropped dramatical so I new it had to be a connection issue and finally found the culprits.
                      when I orignally rebuilt the bike I had two block connectors behind the headlamp that had deteriated so I took the shortcut and fitted 8 blade crimp connectors, bad idear because these where the culprits.
                      I have now fitted new block connectors using a ratchet crimp tool, wow what a fantastic piece of gear. And hay presto she sings again.
                      The coils aren't quit up to to battery voltage (about 1.5 volt loss) so may have to do the coil relay mod in the future.
                      I have also set the mixture screws back to stock 2.5 turns and will run her in and then colour tune the plugs if they are running too rich , thanks Tom.
                      The moral of the story is do things right or they will bit Ye back!

Comment

Working...
                      X