Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honda VTR250 For CHEAP... Planning to pick up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda VTR250 For CHEAP... Planning to pick up.

Hey guys I came across a 89 Honda VTR250 for sale in my neck of the woods.

Not sure if you know much about these little guys but It's one of the fastest TRUE 250's to ever come state side.
    249.9cc, 90' V-twin, Liquid cooled with 35mm down draft CV Khein Carbs. 35.5hp @ 13,500RPM. (The Japanese version had 45.5HP @ 14,000RPM which is easy to attain). 323lbs wet.

1989 Honda VTR250, with camera mounted on tank.Camera was Cannon Optura 20 (MiniDV tape)2004?

Numerically Phenomenal... I didn't know they made 250's like that... Apparently one of the best road handling 250's ever made! (Track days in my future???)

So I reached out to the seller who acquires bikes fixes them then sells them for cheap (Relative Lurch?), said the bike runs phenomenally well. It will need some new pads and possibly tires. You know me, it won't stay stock for too long.

From NH, registered and inspected till next year, guy is just looking to unload. Willing to deliver (because apparently its full blown winter again here in VT). Price is just right, just under a $1K. I go to look at this afternoon and drop the coin down... It needs to be really messed up for me not to nab!

I thought it would compliment the TUX pretty well.

Guys have any experience with them?

I think it's awesome...

WHY AM I SO INTO LITTLE BIKES NOW!?!?
    Me from 2 years ago would be smacking me....

I nabbed 1k miles on the TU250X a couple weeks back. I enjoy riding it more then the Connie at times.
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Please don't mod it too much. Those bikes are fantastic, but they don't respond too well to modifications (and stock, they look and go beautifully). I could see finding ways to get the Japanese hp figure out of it, but after that, law of diminishing returns, loss of quality in the way it runs and rides, etc..
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

I was thinking of converting the front end to a 90 to eliminate the internal front brake system... I'm going to see how well it works though first.

I had no intention of ruining the induction system on a bike that clearly makes more then enough power stock unless I had a detailed set plan of action...

I think it's awesome. Reminds me of the first generation CBR600/ Hurricane
      Last edited by Jedz123; 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM.
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

They are fabulous bikes, Justin!
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

It's Fabulous... I rode it for a few miles today... Fell in love with it. For a 250 it's very quick... I'd say as quick as a GS500... But lighter and butter smooth.

Paid up front.

So here's the Pictures of my new cycle...

Not cosmetically perfect but boy does it run good!!! Took it for a spin up the road, brakes and suspension is perfect (that internal disc works just fine), definitely more power then the TUX...

It's getting delivered Friday. Part of the deal I worked out... We both feel like we are making out well so its a win win!

She needs a bath... covered in saw dust. I'm sure she will clean up nice!

Awesome experience today, this gentleman I'm getting the VTR from has 40 something bikes in multiple shops, most single cylinder BSA's, Ducatis, Harleys, Lubes, Suzukis, hondas, yamahas and Kawasakis. Yeah there was 3 Moto Guzis... Few Two strokes a couple complete GT750's...

Told me he'd cut me a deal... I would die for a water buffalo to replace my GS650G!

So add another micro to the Jedz stable... Couldn't be more pumped!
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Sweet pick up Jedz! You like these 250s don't-cha?

I'm thinking of a CARS song...

DON'T CHA STOP:right here i'd like to melt inside of youright here your kiss is totally newright here your hands are soft and creamyright here your mouth is ...

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Cool bike! I was hoping to see you with the bike in your first post, but it will do. Any chance you new friend has a 1970ish Ducati Scrambler or two he is looking to get rid of? Been looking for one to restore.

Comment

He does have one... I can tell he's the type of guy that it takes allot to convince him to sell. From what I've gathered he wasn't going to sell the VTR to just anyone. He sent me an email today stating he was glad to find a young man that rode and appreciated the smaller machines and also appreciated my knowledge and dedication to keep older machines on the road. I would love to snatch up one of those GT750's or maybe one of the Guzzis... We will see. I'll definitely bring it up to him on Friday that your interested in the Scrambler as a restore project.

Ed the 250 class is a BLAST(plus super cheap to keep on the road!).
                This little VTR rides and feels very much like the R3 I rode last year. Which is nuts for it's a 28 year old 250!!! Very ahead of it's time... Quite the unique micro bike.
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

[QUOTE=Jedz123;2380382]He does have one... I can tell he's the type of guy that it takes allot to convince him to sell. I'll definitely bring it up to him on Friday that your interested in the Scrambler as a restore project.
                  QUOTE]

Thanks, and I know the type....here is my story: My father owned a 250 Scrambler when we lived in Spain. The tank was yellow with a black stripe down the center and it had the chrome insert look (not really sure if that was a decal or a piece of metal). Anyway, I would love to restore one and gift it to him. Thanks again.

Comment

Jedz, your enthusiasm is infectious! It's a joy to read of your aventures.

Cheers!
                    Roger

Current rides
                    1983 GS 850G
                    2003 FJR 1300A
                    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Vmass View Post

Thanks, and I know the type....here is my story: My father owned a 250 Scrambler when we lived in Spain. The tank was yellow with a black stripe down the center and it had the chrome insert look (not really sure if that was a decal or a piece of metal). Anyway, I would love to restore one and gift it to him. Thanks again.
                      Shoot me a PM and we can discuss this further off the thread. I just want to ensure I get my ducks in a row so I can most optimally deliver an impactfull message for you. I'm not going to guarantee anything but I'll give it a go!

-Justin
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                        Jedz, your enthusiasm is infectious! It's a joy to read of your aventures.

Cheers!
                        Well I can't wait for warmer weather so I can attempt to keep up on the riding game... Ha!

Thanks! I love motorcycles and riding motorcycles. Glad my influence has been a positive one as of recent.

Ride safe!
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Oh man, that is dead sexy. I've lusted after one of those since, well, since the '90s.

I have a wholly unnatural attraction for tiny machinery, and this tidy, wee Honda trips all my triggers. (The Bandit 400 and the 400cc Honda CB-1 did as well, and I wrenched for a friend who raced an FZR400.)

I'm an enormous unfashionable hairy galoot, so I think I just appreciate things that are the opposite. (In fact, at one point I owned both a Geo Metro XFi and a Ford Festiva. Seven tiny cylinders of fury.) So it would probably not be a good idea for me to actually ride this poor little thing lest I mash it flat, but I really, really like looking at it.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I hear you. I absolutely love the FZR400.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

The tiny bikes are a BLAST. I'm bigger then I'd like. (6' 205lbs) but I love romping these little duffers. You can't break them... It's a proven fact it more fun to ride a slow bike fast then riding a fast bike slow....

Thanks! I fell like I'm making out pretty well on this one!
                              Jedz Moto
                              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                              1988 Honda GL1500-6
                              2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                              X