X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C/L 1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 Turbo

Another memorable C/L Kawasaki GPz750 Turbo

1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
    Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

I bought an immaculate one with 8,000 miles on it and proceeded to turn it into the scariest thing I've ever ridden (Horsepower Unlimited built the motor and turbo). I probably should have left it with just an 810 kit and upgraded turbo, because it was not a bike for the sane after it was done.

This one is overpriced by a good margin, given the various bits and pieces.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

Looks like a fun project. Two bikes for the price of one for the most part.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I almost traded a Miata I had for one... Well I was looking for some extra cash on top of it. we never could see eye to eye and it fell through. He wanted even trade... Sweet bike. I will own a turbo bike, someday!
        Jedz Moto
        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
        1988 Honda GL1500-6
        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
        Originally posted by Hayabuser
        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

That's funny, Justin. I once traded a VMax for a Miata when I wanted to get back into autocross.

The GPz750 Turbo was a fun bike. Fast even stock, and due to the way boost works, it felt even faster. That said, the handling was only so-so without any additional power, and once you start modding them, all hell breaks loose with traction, suspension, and brakes. We ended up grafting early ZX-10 forks and swingarm, brakes and wheels onto mine, but the frame then began to show its inherent weaknesses.

Back to Miatas ... I will own another one, possibly sooner than later. A supercharged one is very appealing.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I've had 2 NA Miatas

1990 Classic Red. 1.6 I loved that car! ran it till about 230K, got out of it it for I bought a Suzuki GS750L that I fell in love with... And it suffered from short nose crank failure...

I drove it all the time winter or not... I ended up selling it for a couple grand even needing a motor for the body was in real good shape.

Then I had a 1994 Miata 1.8 Low miles, Love this car too... Took some long trips with it. I bought it from an old guy for $1300 . I put some work into it. It was an awesome little car. This is the one I almost traded for the turbo GPZ but it never panned out.

My now Fiance wants to get another one down the line. The new ones are very very nice... I love RWD and honestly it's totally doable in the winter...(despite the apparent evil).

That's why I now own a proper GT car:

Miss my little Roadsters though... Awesome cars.

Evident that you don't need big HP numbers to have an awesome time!
            Last edited by Jedz123; 03-16-2017, 08:01 AM.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

I'll always prefer a pure sportscar for real driving, and the Miata is about as pure as it gets.
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                I'll always prefer a pure sportscar for real driving, and the Miata is about as pure as it gets.
                Agree. My Infiniti is a tad to fat to be classified as a true sports car but it's definitely a pure GT car. Ride for hours, hit some mountain roads and hound the Apexes. RWD with a stick is awesome.

My Miatas were AWESOME. All you had to do was run a high quality performance road tire and the car stuck like glue..
                Jedz Moto
                1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                1988 Honda GL1500-6
                2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                  Yup, I dearly miss my 72 240Z
                  1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                  1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

A 240Z with triple Webers and a Stebro exhaust is heavenly.
                    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                    1982 CB900f

Comment

I love my "Z" car. My Mechanic has a 280Z that is worked over and he loves my car... Occasionally I'll pass through for an inspection or oil change (yes I'm lazy) and we end up drinking beer while my car is up on the lift. Allot of the Z traits are still found in my G37S (JDM: Nissan Skyline GT370). He often jokes about swapping the L28E with my VQ37VHR.

I will buy another Nissan executive sport coupe again... How my budgeted savings is going and based on my salary increase this year, I'll grab one of these buggers (used of course) after I pay off my G37S in a few more years:
                      Last edited by Jedz123; 03-24-2017, 12:50 AM.
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

I put the L28et turbo engine in my 240z. Put bigger turbo, intercooler and ran 13 psi of boost, approx 300hp in a 2600 lb car is aloof fun! There were a lot of embarrassed Mustangs, Cameros and Corvettes!

I long for another, but the bikes are satisfying my needs currently.
                        1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
                        1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fjbj40 View Post
                          I put the L28et turbo engine in my 240z. Put bigger turbo, intercooler and ran 13 psi of boost, approx 300hp in a 2600 lb car is aloof fun! There were a lot of embarrassed Mustangs, Cameros and Corvettes!

I long for another, but the bikes are satisfying my needs currently.
                          Back in the day small fast import cars were a real anomaly and surprised the hell out people with their America iron. My stunner then was a '72 Ford Cortina I bought new and it came with the German version of the 2 litre OHC engine (bigger ports, higher compression and 5 bearing crank IIRC). Anyway, after headers, cam and carb the silly POS was running low 14 second quarter mile times. It was fun looking over at the 1/2 - 2/3 mark at the local drag strip at the guys in their American iron with a WTF look on their face. Then they would gradually pull ahead.
                          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                            Back in the day small fast import cars were a real anomaly and surprised the hell out people with their America iron. My stunner then was a '72 Ford Cortina I bought new and it came with the German version of the 2 litre OHC engine (bigger ports, higher compression and 5 bearing crank IIRC). Anyway, after headers, cam and carb the silly POS was running low 14 second quarter mile times. It was fun looking over at the 1/2 - 2/3 mark at the local drag strip at the guys in their American iron with a WTF look on their face. Then they would gradually pull ahead.
                            2003 after I graduated High school I got my hands on a 1990 Dodge Daytona CS Turbo 2.5 T1.

I spent close to 5K on that car, 189WHP at 4800 RPM 284WFt/lbs of torque @1800 RPM... 5-speed, gutted I think the weight was 2300 lbs or less by the time I was done with the weight reduction work. 18psi through a Garret VNT post factory inter cooled setup. Custom ECU with harness and added injectors (2 AUX injectors tapped into the intake manifold (manufactured by me)... For a FWD car it actually handled pretty good and did some track days with it! Torques steer like a mother and it would just burnout for days if you didn't dial the boost down for circuit track... Lots of front tires...

IT WAS A BEAST, Best 1/4 mile I ran was a 12.8 second at 114mph... 140mph was no problem...

I wish I had more pictures and slips but like any 19 year old kid, I lost all my stuff... Fast and the furious was out when I got into the scene so I SMOKED all the decked out Civics. My biggest competition at the strip was the Eclipses with worked up 4G63's and new then WRX with the EJ20's... But it held it's own, daily ridden and it died when the rust got to it. ON a hard launch and the uni-body snapped...

Miss that car, As you can tell I have a boner for black 2 door coupes...

My G37S should run mid to low 14's with me behind the wheel. With the modifications I've done some folks are running high 13's. This VQ37VHR is a gem of a motor.
                            Last edited by Jedz123; 03-27-2017, 10:48 AM.
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                            X