Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GSX-R front end conversion for 83' GS 750E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An old thread and most of the members are gone but some of the info is still relevant.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
      An old thread and most of the members are gone but some of the info is still relevant.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum.../t-116766.html

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Sfkid View Post
        I found a 2000 gsxr front end complete with breaks master cyclinders and front wheel!

hoping this will fit looking to get some more information before I go through with the purchase
        It should be possible to make it fit, but you are going to find that the forks are very short compared to your GS forks and you will lose additional ground clearance with the 17" front wheel of the GSXR. Do you also have a 17" rear wheel and a swingarm that it will fit into?

Mark
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          It should be possible to make it fit, but you are going to find that the forks are very short compared to your GS forks and you will lose additional ground clearance with the 17" front wheel of the GSXR. Do you also have a 17" rear wheel and a swingarm that it will fit into?

Mark
          The guy was also selling the rear I wasn't sure if it was going to work with the gs.
          I hear that Bandit swing arms work well
          what would you suggest?

Comment

Originally posted by Sfkid View Post
            The guy was also selling the rear I wasn't sure if it was going to work with the gs.
            I hear that Bandit swing arms work well
            what would you suggest?
            This has been gone through a number of times. An 1100E swingarm will fit a 4.5" wheel and 160 tire with no issues. I think some guys have squeezed in a 5.5/180 combo but I'm not certain of that. Bandit swingarms work, oil cooled GSXR swingarms work, probably some of the watercooled arms are OK as well. All but the 1100E arm require machining to fit, making new bolts/spacers and other fabrication work. The 1100E arm may also need alteration depending on the details of your bike. None of the rear end stuff is anything like a bolt on setup, they all require effort and fabrication to work.

Mark
            1982 GS1100E
            1998 ZX-6R
            2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I have the 4.5" GSX-R rear in my stock 1150 swing-arm with zero clearance issues.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Just done a GSXR conversion on an 82

I tried various wheel, offset sprocket combinations and with an 1100E arm and 3/8" offset you can easily use a 4.5"/160 combination (using the GS NOT the GSXR sprocket carrier) ..... A 180 with larger rim will fit, however , I didn't like the clearance with a 530 chain so have kept the wheel until I switch to a 525 set up
                78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
                82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
                83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
                2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
                Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys I'm still waiting for my bike to come out from its motor rebuild so... after that i'm gonna dive a bit deeper into the rear end conversion that's the reason I started asking about the front end conversions first is that so I have a general Idea of what to search for because at this moment my stock GS forks are leaking and instead of rebuilding them I'd rather just upgrade the front end.

Comment

Working...
                  X