Cleaning the forks up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning the forks up

after picture in this post, before in next post.

Material:

400 grit 3M (black) metal sandpaper
    Fine 3M (red) metal finishing pad
    WD-40

Optional - #0000 steel or brass wool
    buffing wheel and compound

Took off front wheel, brakes and fender to expose the fork lowers. Used the 400 with WD-40 on the sandpaper and fork to sand around the cylinder...not up and down ...but around. Takes quite a bit of elbow grease. After you get the tarnish and pitting off, use the finishing pad...again with WD-40... same pattern as sanding. Spray the fork with WD-40 and wipe down, then do the same with a clean cloth. Took me an hour and a half to do both forks and put the tire/fender/brakes back on.

Before Pic

Before picture

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Thanks for the inspiration (and saying it could be done in 90min)!

Comment

Really nice looking man. How did you clean them up if I may ask?

EDIT, I'm a tard who skipped what you typed. Ignore me.

Comment

Woah. Thanks for sharing, I'm so going to do this.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Like!!!!!!

Comment

Great post!

I'm scheduled to do fork rebuild soon. This would tidy up the front end which you've proven in a simple manner. Thanks!!!

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Working...
                X