Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To experience Ohio riding....

Gee Whiz!

Now I want to go. One of my good friends from work lives in Cambridge Ohio.
    Current rideable bikes: 1973 Norton Commando, 1975 Norton Commando, 1976 RD400 Café
    1978 GS1000E Skunk, 1980 GS850G Maroon 1 each, 1980 GS1000G Black with Samsonite (In OR), 1 each 1980 GS1000G Black w/ 1100G motor and Samsonite (In Maine), 1 each 1981 GS1000G Red w/ Krausers (in So Cal), 1982 Yamaha XT250 (In Maine) A bunch of bikes recwntly sold and given away. Some sold at giveaway prices. Anybody want an RD400?

Quote Originally Posted by 850 Combat View Post
    Gee Whiz!

Are you in the area next month? Your nephew still riding the GS1100E I delivered to him in ME? You want to buy my GS850G and keep in OH?
    '82 GS850G

Quote Originally Posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    Are you in the area next month? Your nephew still riding the GS1100E I delivered to him in ME? You want to buy my GS850G and keep in OH?
    No, none of the above. I still have a 850G I'm not using. I might talk to my buddy about storing it at his place though. We have been talking about going to Mid Ohio Vintage days for years. My nephew still has the 1100E I bought from you. He quit riding it a few years back. I'm not sure why. He did ride it up to the top of Mount Washington. I've never been up there.
    Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-22-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Current rideable bikes: 1973 Norton Commando, 1975 Norton Commando, 1976 RD400 Café
    1978 GS1000E Skunk, 1980 GS850G Maroon 1 each, 1980 GS1000G Black with Samsonite (In OR), 1 each 1980 GS1000G Black w/ 1100G motor and Samsonite (In Maine), 1 each 1981 GS1000G Red w/ Krausers (in So Cal), 1982 Yamaha XT250 (In Maine) A bunch of bikes recwntly sold and given away. Some sold at giveaway prices. Anybody want an RD400?

Gee Whiz!

There are a handful of REALLY GREAT riding groads directly northwest of Cambridge... 658 & 209 are world class, 16 miles of awesomeness if linked together. the intersection of the 2 is literally just 3 minutes outside of Cambridge. 83 from 93 to 209 is GREAT. 93 between Zanesville or Adamsville & 541 is real good, New Hope Rd and Norfield Rd are both real nice, I take Guernsey Valley Rd after the top of 658 @ 541, right on Eighth Street Rd south to 541 again westward, then do 658 and 209 the opposite direction... one marked 30mph curve on 658 is known to crash people as evidenced by the half knocked down old mini barn on the right as you enter the left hand turn northbound... either direction it's unsuspecting, should be marked 20mph. Southbound you'll see hill on the right of the corner directly after a residence with a big out building pole barn or 2 and some big heavy equipment trucks (old well drilling rigs?). 658 can bite you, it's all over the place 15mph to 45mph turns, unpredictable. In a slow car you seldom can get even up to the speed limit on this road!!!
    209 is easier with world class sections of back to back to back to back etc very long radius neverending sweepers for several miles from 658 to 83 on top of a beautiful ridge... very awesome for all skill levels.

About 45 minutes to 55 minutes south-southeast of Cambridge is the real goldmine of incredible Ohio roads... 260, 26, 536, 255, 530, Dalzell Rd, Germantown Rd, 565, 537 are the best of the best.Archers Fork Rd, Rinard Mills Rd, Sykes Ridge Rd back to 556 to the upper portion of 26 back to Woodsfield...great run there, 800, Stanleyville Rd I believe it's called....
    Best riding in Ohio. Almost zero traffic / LEO. Very desolate area in and out of farmland and Wayne National Forest. Only gas stations are in some of the towns on the Ohio river (not all), Marietta, Woodsfield, & Caldwell. And Lowell. Not many for the square mileage this territory covers! Desolate.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-22-2017 at 07:17 PM.

'77 Suzuki GS750 920cc 4-1, Sun rims, GS1100E swinger, fork mods, Fox Factory Shox, Ninja/CBR900RR discs
    '74 Rickman VR250 MX
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Rickman CR900 GS1000-1105cc roadracer Yoshi race cams Yoshi 4:1, 89 GSXR1100K fork, 310mm discs, Fox Factory Shox
    '79 GS425 489cc/GS850 sleeves, megacycle cams, GS500 fork, 310mm CBR disc, DID rims, GS1100E swingarm, Fox Factory Shox
    '77 GS550 GS650-740cc top end, CBR900RR/Ninja brake, Fox Street Shox

No, none of the above. I still have a 850G I'm not using. I might talk to my buddy about storing it at his place though. We have been talking about going to Mid Ohio Vintage days for years. My nephew still has the 1100E I bought from you. He quit riding it a few years back. I'm not sure why. He did ride it up to the top of Mount Washington. I've never been up there.
    I rode up the Mt Washington auto road last year mid week in the spring on my old XJ900. Still cost $15 and at mile 7 they were dumping new dirt/gravel for the mile or so stretch of the auto road that is not paved. Coming around a steep blind hairpin turn and seeing a flag man 50 feet in front of a fully extended big dump truck blocking your path gets your attention! Balancing the bike at a steep upward angle for 20 minutes waiting for them to finish with side ways gusts of 40-50mph made it very challenging. Then resuming up on loose pack squeezed to the shoulder (there really isn't a shoulder, just the edge and a freefall on rocks) to let the dump truck squeeze by, with street tires squirming away was thrilling. Then there are multiple hairpin turns and no guardrails between you and the steep rocky drop offs is a rush too. Stayed at the summit for an hour, had lunch and crystal clear views with no people made it worthwhile. Then there was a complete whiteout (as usual for the summit) but as soon as it cleared I took the opportunity to start down. Coming done was the same thing with another stretch being dumped with new loosepack, only tilting the other way for 20 minutes and tail winds shooting you from the rear, keeping balanced. Yeah, I would do it again though.
    Another time many years ago I did the auto road with my old Triumph 650 chopper, with no front brake, a springer front end and no rear suspension....another story.
    Last edited by lurch12_2000; 03-24-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    '82 GS850G

Just read this entire thread and all I can say is wow!!!!! You guys that live in this area are some lucky folks. This is going to be a destination for me this summer for sure.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100

Quote Originally Posted by alke46 View Post
    Just read this entire thread and all I can say is wow!!!!! You guys that live in this area are some lucky folks. This is going to be a destination for me this summer for sure.

Have you read the traveling picnic thread? If this is a destination this summer for you, I suggest you come down for as long as possible early/mid July... AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days weekend at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course is July 7-9 is a first place tie with Barber for easily being THE ABSOLUTE BEST vintage motorcycle event in the eastern US, maybe all of the US for all I know... camping at the racetrack, vintage racing, 20+ acre swap meet, and my favorite part - being in the same location for an entire weekend with thousands of vintage motorcycle fanatics and drooling at all the bikes ridden there to the event, and the swap meet and bike show bikes, etc... Friday and Saturday are the days to go. Everyone generally is packing up on Sunday except the racers. You can take state route 97 east out of the nearest town and head into the eastern ohio hills from there. Ask me for a few good preferred route options through this area, I'll have to look at a map to refresh my memory on the ones just ouf of Mohican State Forest. Or I can say just take a route off 97 and hit 83 southbound. It has some good stretches up that way, and then gets real good for a 5 mile stretch after 93... then you can hit 209 and maybe the tricky 658. head back south on Eighth Street Rd, then make a line over to 148 near Belaire I think it is. catch the top part of 26 into Woodsfield... Then you have it made. south of Woodsfield east and west, east of Woodsfield, wow...great riding! Be sure to cross into WV to Proctor Creek Rd to Amos Hollow Rd to US250 (world class road Moundsville WV to Hundred WV). Great riding.

The entire state of WV is really the best state in the eastern US for riding roads. Nearly the entire state is filled with hills, almost no large flat areas anywhere... Eastern KY is basically an extension of WV as well... and the NE WV mountains.... amazing! A bit far from Nebraska however.

Anyone interested, please always email me for advice on route planning if you are trying to ride these areas. there is a lot of awesomeness to be had.

You can make a wee

'77 Suzuki GS750 920cc 4-1, Sun rims, GS1100E swinger, fork mods, Fox Factory Shox, Ninja/CBR900RR discs
    '74 Rickman VR250 MX
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Rickman CR900 GS1000-1105cc roadracer Yoshi race cams Yoshi 4:1, 89 GSXR1100K fork, 310mm discs, Fox Factory Shox
    '79 GS425 489cc/GS850 sleeves, megacycle cams, GS500 fork, 310mm CBR disc, DID rims, GS1100E swingarm, Fox Factory Shox
    '77 GS550 GS650-740cc top end, CBR900RR/Ninja brake, Fox Street Shox

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck78 View Post
    Have you read the traveling picnic thread? If this is a destination this summer for you, I suggest you come down for as long as possible early/mid July... AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days weekend at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course is July 7-9 is a first place tie with Barber for easily being THE ABSOLUTE BEST vintage motorcycle event in the eastern US, maybe all of the US for all I know... camping at the racetrack, vintage racing, 20+ acre swap meet, and my favorite part - being in the same location for an entire weekend with thousands of vintage motorcycle fanatics and drooling at all the bikes ridden there to the event, and the swap meet and bike show bikes, etc... Friday and Saturday are the days to go. Everyone generally is packing up on Sunday except the racers. You can take state route 97 east out of the nearest town and head into the eastern ohio hills from there. Ask me for a few good preferred route options through this area, I'll have to look at a map to refresh my memory on the ones just ouf of Mohican State Forest. Or I can say just take a route off 97 and hit 83 southbound. It has some good stretches up that way, and then gets real good for a 5 mile stretch after 93... then you can hit 209 and maybe the tricky 658. head back south on Eighth Street Rd, then make a line over to 148 near Belaire I think it is. catch the top part of 26 into Woodsfield... Then you have it made. south of Woodsfield east and west, east of Woodsfield, wow...great riding! Be sure to cross into WV to Proctor Creek Rd to Amos Hollow Rd to US250 (world class road Moundsville WV to Hundred WV). Great riding.

The entire state of WV is really the best state in the eastern US for riding roads. Nearly the entire state is filled with hills, almost no large flat areas anywhere... Eastern KY is basically an extension of WV as well... and the NE WV mountains.... amazing! A bit far from Nebraska however.

Anyone interested, please always email me for advice on route planning if you are trying to ride these areas. there is a lot of awesomeness to be had.

You can make a wee
    Yes I have read the traveling picnic thread and am currently trying to make it work out for me. Trying to make sure all the planets align in the correct order.
    I do have some experience with riding in Ky. and WV. Agreed, some beautiful roads for motorcycling.
    If I can make it out there I will have all the above routes mapped out to get the best rides possible. Thanks.
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100