Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To experience Ohio riding....

How many days are you planning to ride Ohio? 4 days? Or 4 days total for Ohio/Eastern Ky/WV?
    just across the river from 536, on the west Virginia side, there is a road called Proctor Creek Rd... ride this if you can! There is a 2nd road around there named proctor creek rd, but this one you catch near the Ohio River (I think it's next to a post office?) & run until it turns into Amos Hollow Rd which ends at the famous Moundsville to Hundred section of US250 in WV, which also just got paved last year after 6 years of horrible pavement...

Eastern KY has many gems as well, you wouldn't regret skipping Ohio to ride just KY & WV, but if you follow my narrative, I highly doubt you'll have any regrets running these Appalachian SouthEast Ohio roads either!
    Having good insider info can make a huge difference between riding a good area with great tips from locals vs trying to plot your own route through an even greater riding area without much in the way of pointers from people experienced in riding those areas heavily.

I sent some of my GS racer/suspension tuner buddies from Pittsburgh down through Ohio on Rt 26 the Covered Bridge Scenic ByWay, a great flowing road, but not one that I personally try to run most times I'm in the area (too many even more thrilling choices, too far from home for all of them in 1 day). My buds were heading to the Red River Gorge in KY, this was just an exciting back roads route for them to get to KY. THEY ABSOLUTELY LOVED 26! I think it was one of their favorite roads on the whole trip actually...
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-18-2017 at 05:26 PM.

'77 Suzuki GS750 920cc 4-1, Sun rims, GS1100E swinger, fork mods, Fox Factory Shox, Ninja/CBR900RR discs
    '74 Rickman VR250 MX
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Rickman CR900 GS1000-1105cc roadracer Yoshi race cams Yoshi 4:1, 89 GSXR1100K fork, 310mm discs, Fox Factory Shox
    '79 GS425 489cc/GS850 sleeves, megacycle cams, GS500 fork, 310mm CBR disc, DID rims, GS1100E swingarm, Fox Factory Shox
    '77 GS550 GS650-740cc top end, CBR900RR/Ninja brake, Fox Street Shox

Cut and paste of my posts from the travelling picnic thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck78

called off work last october for one last warm weather ride, kaidesch (sp?) point park off of ohio state rt 536 about 350-400' above the ohio river (huge, 3x as big as the mississippi river where the two converge).

^^^dalzell rd (turns into county rd 5? @ county line 1 mile to 565) to oh-565 to jog on the awesome oh-260 to the short & sweet oh-537... Wayne national forest deep in se ohio

^^^255 south to 536... 536 was just freshly paved, one of my favorite best of the best 10 mile or so stretches of pavement in the state. Northbound-only for those unfamiliar to miss a southbound decreasing radius 15mph turn that can be disastrous if not going less than 15mph
    oh-255 south to the ohio river scenic byway (state route 7 east) to oh-536 north to 78 is one of the best and most scenic rides in the state, a bit more techically challenging than 78 & 26 but those 2 are packed full of fun for all riding styles. 255 and 536 being 2 of the most techical state routes here...

^^^^^^mandatory scenic stop on ohio 78 scenic byway nearing oh-555. The house there has been vacant for a decade or more but landowner has picnic table behind barn at the edge of the ridgetop and it is a common stopping place to take a break from the nonstop sweepers and twisties of 78. The views at this point overlooking the burr oak lake valley 400' below are nearly like a lot of mid/northern blue ridge parkway type views into va... Hard to believe you're in ohio at views like behind this barn, as 70% of the state is glaciated and as flat as kansas...
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-18-2017 at 11:27 AM.

'77 Suzuki GS750 920cc 4-1, Sun rims, GS1100E swinger, fork mods, Fox Factory Shox, Ninja/CBR900RR discs
    '74 Rickman VR250 MX
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Rickman CR900 GS1000-1105cc roadracer Yoshi race cams Yoshi 4:1, 89 GSXR1100K fork, 310mm discs, Fox Factory Shox
    '79 GS425 489cc/GS850 sleeves, megacycle cams, GS500 fork, 310mm CBR disc, DID rims, GS1100E swingarm, Fox Factory Shox

From travelling picnic thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck78 View Post
    Stolen from an article linked from an old post of mine, I believe this is 255 in the pic (& FYI they skipped some of the best roads so follow my advice and not necessarily their route):
    http://www.revzilla.com/hub-day-trip

Here's my modified slightly longer and much more awesome route for you all, covering the same territory as theirs:

https://www.google.com/maps?saddr=E+...mra=mivtw&z=10

Photos by drc32-0, a short detour off of 78 from Nelsonville eastbound to 13N to 78 is this short sweet little gem OH-685:

'74 Rickman VR250 MX
    PROJECTS:

From travelling picnic thread:
    More photos by FJR Denny aka drc32-0,
    Ohio 78 near Caldwell:

And three of the best sections of OH-555 aka the Triple Nickel:

'74 Rickman VR250 MX
    PROJECTS:

How many days are you planning to ride Ohio? 4 days? Or 4 days total for Ohio/Eastern Ky/WV?
    just across the river from 536, on the west Virginia side, there is a road called Proctor Creek Rd... ride this if you can! There is a 2nd road around there named proctor creek rd, but this one you catch near the Ohio River (I think it's next to a post office?) & run until it turns into Amos Hollow Rd which ends at the famous Moundsville to Hundred section of US250 in WV, which also just got paved last year after 6 years of horrible pavement...

Eastern KY has many gems as well, you wouldn't regret skipping Ohio to ride just KY & WV, but if you follow my narrative, I highly doubt you'll have any regrets running these Appalachian SouthEast Ohio roads either!
    Having good insider info can make a huge difference between riding a good area with great tips from locals vs trying to plot your own route through an even greater riding area without much in the way of pointers from people experienced in riding those areas heavily.

I sent some of my GS racer/suspension tuner buddies from Pittsburgh down through Ohio on Rt 26 the Covered Bridge Scenic ByWay, a great flowing road, but not one that I personally try to run most times I'm in the area (too many even more thrilling choices, too far from home for all of them in 1 day). My buds were heading to the Red River Gorge in KY, this was just an e citing back roads route fir them to get to KY. THEY ABSOLUTELY LOVED 26! I think it was one of their favorite roads on the whole trip actually...
    My intent is to do 4 days of riding of about 200 miles per day, 3 nights of lodging, including the KY side of the Ohio River starting from Florence, KY and crossing in Aberdeen, OH. I do want to pace it so I can stop and look around too. I'm not just trying to rack up riding miles. Then I would start north toward Hocking Hills. I'm trying to configure a loop to include the other roads north and east of there, but not crossing into WV at this time. You listed a lot of good info that I'm trying to digest down to fit my trip. I'll be keeping my eye towards the weather forecast and warmer temps down there, since it is still going to be mid-April when I'm planning now, which is when I can do this. Otherwise I can do all the cold weather riding on twistie roads up here around New England if that's the case. I like your pics.
    '82 GS850G
    '00 ZR-7

Quote Originally Posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    My intent is to do 4 days of riding of about 200 miles per day, 3 nights of lodging, including the KY side of the Ohio River starting from Florence, KY and crossing in Aberdeen, OH. I do want to pace it so I can stop and look around too. I'm not just trying to rack up riding miles. Then I would start north toward Hocking Hills. I'm trying to configure a loop to include the other roads north and east of there, but not crossing into WV at this time. You listed a lot of good info that I'm trying to digest down to fit my trip. I'll be keeping my eye towards the weather forecast and warmer temps down there, since it is still going to be mid-April when I'm planning now, which is when I can do this. Otherwise I can do all the cold weather riding on twistie roads up here around New England if that's the case. I like your pics.
    Unless you can find some local route info for some great backroads between Florence, KY and Aberdeen, I would definitely try to focus on Kentucky roads southeast of Aberdeen 40 miles or so and beyond that east. That's where the more rugged hills start, basically bordering on the Daniel Boone National Forest that stretches north to south through a good percentage of the state. as you go much further east from that, once you get toward Louisa KY, the terrain gets downright AWESOME as you are nearing West Virginia.
    If your riding in Kentucky is focused on the areas around Florence and Aberdeen, I wouldn't spend as much time thrill seeking for good roads, I'd head to Eastern KY or SE Ohio or anywhere in West Virginia. WV and the western bordering edges of Virginia, eastern half of TN and a good portion of NC are the best states in the east to ride in. SE Ohio and Eastern KY rank right up there behind them.
    The closest thing I have seen up your way would be around Green Mountain National Forest in VT. Hogback Mountain lookout at the general store reminds me of countless West Virginia vistas. Very nice. WV is almost an entire state filled with amazing riding roads, however.
    Red River Gorge area and south of there in KY in DBNF area is an incredible place to ride. Worth focusing your efforts on.
    I think I have a cheat sheet of someone's notes on central KY great twisty roads. I will try to dig that up for you.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-18-2017 at 10:54 PM.

'74 Rickman VR250 MX
    PROJECTS:

Here it is, smartphone screenshot from the Ohio Riders forum:

These I believe are all closer to Florence, KY than Aberdeen, but I am unfamiliar with these roads. I believe this route suggestion list was intended for Cincinnati area riders, who have no good roads to ride around SW Ohio despite Cincinnati and surrounding areas having large hills.
    I would venture to say that the roads around the Daniel Boone National Forest and East towards Louisa KY are substantially better than riding these. I am speculating, but it is a very clear fact that the hills in the regions I am praising are much more impressive scenic and rugged Appalachian Hills, where you are mentioning are much lesser hills. Still, better riding than a lot of the USA however. But if you are treating yourself to a sampling of the best this region has to offer, GO EAST!!!!

Only being vaguely familiar with central Kentucky and fairly familiar with most of Ohio, I personally would recommend going deeper and further east into KY quite a ways in search of good riding, and I would not cross into Ohio until at least Portsmouth or east. That is where you can jump onto some pretty decent roads and head NE to the better stuff. Some of THE BEST riding in Ohio that is very remote and seldom visited is around the Crown City Wildlife area that is southeast of Portsmouth a ways. Crossing the Ohio River at Ashland KY or Ironton OH would be a much better bet so you can stay in KY in search of great roads through central KY eastbound to get you to this point. This is where Ohio gets really good. Huntington would be the most ideal point to cross the Ohio River. North of this Crown City Wildlife area, Ohio gets a little less exciting until you get up towards the Lake Hope - Zaleski State Forest area and the Hocking Hills region just north of there. I would rate the Crown City Wildlife Area / Gallipolis area due north of Huntington WV / Proctorville OH as the #2 best riding in the state. #1 would be the region between the Ohio River, Woodsfield, and Marietta (south of OH-78 and mostly east of I-77). Ohio 78/377/Hocking/Zaleski-Lake Hope would rate as #3 as long as youre not in the Hocking area on a weekend! #4 would be out east a bit north near Zanesville/Cambridge/Coshocton/and out from Cambridge towards Wheeling and northeast of Woodsfield.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-19-2017 at 03:30 AM.

'74 Rickman VR250 MX
    PROJECTS:

Here's what I'd do from some glancing at some motorcycle maps and notes... if you are in or near Florence for non motorcycle reasons, book it over to Falmouth KY. Take 22 to 10 to 19 to 165. If you were to head south of Florence, there is a big lull in the goodness of the terrain south of this route I just mentioned around Lexington, not nearly as exciting. From the Piqua KY area, make a direct route towards Stanton/Bowen/Slade/Pine Ridge KY. Not much good from Piqua until you get near that area. Ride around that area as it is some of THE BEST in the state of KY. From there one option would be to head up north toward Morehead (where some of my family is from, used to visit there all the time, great hills), take 32 all the way to Louisa KY. This road looks pretty darn great.
    Cut down US52 just across the WV KY border from Louisa, head down to 152 and head north toward Huntington. Here you can cross into Proctorville Ohio.

You could also keep as an alternate in case the weather is better there, the area southeast of Slade KY all the way to near the TN border - Pine Mountain, Jenkins, Elkhorn City etc. Just southeast and east of that Slade KY area of the Daniel Boone National Forest are a lot more very twisty and fantastic roads. I'd seriously familiarize yourself with those areas as well as a backup/alternate plan based on weather. Look up some lodging options as well. If you go down this area, check out 160 from Cumberland KY down to Appalachia VA... talk about a WICKED twisty road... wow. KY66 south of Oneida. GREAT.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-18-2017 at 11:46 PM.

'74 Rickman VR250 MX
    PROJECTS:

If you decide to follow this general guideline and come into Ohio at Proctorville, here are the tips from the two best insiders I know if who are experienced in riding this area around Crown City Wildlife Area in Ohio:

My buddy Denny (took road photos above) has been there numerous times. Here are reports from the past 6 years:

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Riders March 2011
    The roads are fairly curvy and haved good elevation change as well. But they tend to be pretty narrow and have lots of driveway connections on them. Never see any cops and very few other cars at all.
    ------------------------------------
    I've ridden through there many times, roads are fun but some are not in the greatest shape for what most sport bike riders consider fun. For the dual sport crowd it is perfect.
    Outstanding scenery, rode through the bottoms, into some real Appalachia life....horse drawn plows, great 2 lanes but not for speed. Lots of blind curves (miss em you go over some good drop offs). Just before catching 141 I ran through some real desolate area's as I did running through Wayne Forrest. Almost like Dueling Banjo's/Deliverance type scenery in places.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny in March 2011
    790,775 from Wigus to Lecta, 217 especially from 7 to 218 are all very twisty and good. 218 is good, but it always seems to have alot of gravel in corners.141 is more open, kinda like 800. If you're in that area and like twisty roads check out Greasy Ridge road...it parallels 775.If the pavement is still good that is one twisty road.The pavement was getting bad on the south end last year,but the rest of Greasy Ridge is one of the best county roads I know.Have fun...Gallia and Lawerence counties are really overlooked when it comes to good riding.
    Just for fun...google Greasy Ridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny in May 2013
    Gallia and Lawerence counties are 2 of the most overlooked counties for motorcycle roads in the state.

217,218,790,141 and 243 are all good,and in some places very good!790 that runs between 775 and 218 is getting paved this year.

Greasy Ridge Rd that parallels 775 (and crosses it twice) is one of my top two or three favorite county roads in S.E.O. (FYI seo= SE Ohio). The last time I rode it the pavement was rough south of 217,but north of 217 it's a blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny in August 2016
    As for conditions...I was down there early this year ...217 from 141 to Greasy Ridge was paved last year and still very good.217 from Greasy Ridge to 7 is older and getting a little rough.I would still run it though because 217 from 218 to 7 is one of the four twistiest roads I know in SEO.From what I remember 218,141 and 790 where all in very good condition although 790 was very dirty for some reason.I hope it's clean for your trip because it is a very good road.
    Two county roads in that area worth trying ...Hannon Trace from 775 to 790 is very good.You can pick it up on 790 about a mile from 218.
    Greasy Ridge road is a fun tight sweeper road.It parallels 775 and crosses it two or three times.The bottom part was paved last year but the top part is still older pavement, but still fun.
    Sadly the best part of 775,Wilgus to Lecta,is full of tar snakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny in Aug 2016 pt2
    217 from 141 to either Greasy Ridge or 775 is a very twisty/tricky road with new pavement last year.There are a couple of switchbacks on that section that are as tight as you're going to find in Ohio.These are what I call cartoon corners.Remember the old loonytoons mountain chases where their front paws are gripping the mountain road and their rear paws were spinning in the air?Yeah,that kind of turn!217 from 218 to 7(Miller) is a very twisty section in the same league as 530 or 536.It's only about 5 miles so I usually do an out and back to Miller and then continue on 218 or 775.The pavement is getting a little rough on that part of 217,but if you like the tight twisty stuff you'll like it.The best part of 218 is south of Mercerville.The road surface is a little suspect...I'm not sure if it's good chipseal or pavement but it's not the most confidence inspiring.Very twisty but I'm always a little cautious when I run this area.
    Here's route I usually run in that area...
    from 135...
    141e
    775s
    Hannon Trace se
    790 sw?
    775s
    141sw
    217e to Miller
    217w
    218 n to 7
    This is just my preferred route and it does leave out some good stuff on 775,141,236 and Greasy Ridge.
    One other thing... if you do ride 217 until it crosses Greasy Ridge you will notice a Vietnam Era artillery piece. This is the Danny Hayes Memorial.217 is the Danny Hayes memorial highway.I highly recommend stopping and reading the plaque about Danny Hayes.We sometimes use the word hero pretty cheaply,Danny Hayes is the real deal!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Riders topics Aug. 2016
    That's some good roads down through there. I haven't been this year, but I've ridden them before. Not very many gas stations. Stop by Hillbilly Hotdog in Lesage, WV if you have never been before. It's a sight to see.
    I just moved from that area. I have some maps left over I will post here.

Watch for gravel, residual clutter is usually there for at least a week after a rain. On top of that the local drivers dont seem to grasp the concept of motor vehicle operation and cut every corner throwing debri on the road. When it is clear the area is amazing for riding.

If you have more time and are already down that far, pop back over towards ashland after you hit 141, 775, 217, 218, 790 (my favorite road on ohio by far) and take KY1S across 64 to sandy hook. There you fill find one of the best kept motorcycle secrets of the Appalachian area. KY32. Take 3 N from there and hit the stuff in Lawrence and Gallia counties again.

Scioto & Lawrence Counties:
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...38&usp=sharing

Grab some hillbilly hot dogs while you are in Huntington.

Fyi Dennis, I clocked it. 217 to 7 is 44 curves in about 4 miles iirc. Lol
    We made it out to some of these roads but of course it started raining so we bypassed much of it. I like 141. It was actually fun just wish it wasn't in such a residential area.
    We tried to pick up 217 from 141 after the rain stopped and there were detour signs so we took some weird road trying to bypass it and ended up just in front of the detour. Luckily detour signs don't apply to motorcycles and we just went through. The next day we picked it up again from the beginning and road it through. Very nice road but it was crazy dirty. Like giant piles of gravel and mud. Must've gotten hit hard with the storms a few days prior. I'd love to try it again some day when it's cleaner.
    It was fun area though. We liked it.
    Honestly it is kind of hard to catch it clear. At least 1 week after any kind of precipitation usually.

141 is nice, luckily all of the good sections are away from the houses. 775 is just as good.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-19-2017 at 12:45 AM.

'74 Rickman VR250 MX
    PROJECTS:

^^^ Note the Kentucky 32 reference... "one of the best kept motorcycle secrets of the Appalachian area" definitely a must on your route if heading into Ohio this way!!!!

I'd plot out your time frame on a route through the red river gorge area of Daniel Boone National Forest, and run route 32 for sure. Look into that other jog south and up to Huntington, maybe cut it out of time doesn't allow. run a nice route through the Crown City area, and then book it straight up towards Nelsonville or Glouster. If you don't have time to make it past that area, you at least must do a loop of 78 from Glouster to 377 south to 266S to 792 S to 676 S/W, you can then take a boring stretch of 555 south to 550, head toward sharpsburg to run the only great section of 550, then hit 377 north to 555 if you wish, back to 78 the other direction. then you can run up to the Hocking Hills area for a quick run and some great sights.

If seeing some impressive cliff areas is a huge interest, do that. if finding more twisty riding areas, I'd head deep into SE OH after running 78 Glouster to 555 or 377. I have a back way if you run 377 266 792 676. you can take some back roads off of 676 up to lowell hill rd and then gas up and catch 530 out of Lowell, which is amazing, Then run down 841 I think is to hit Dalzell Rd through a section of Wayne National Forest, turns chip seal near the county line and has a different name, hits 565 - hang a right this road is great! Then left on 260 and at the bottom of a big hill at a farm and very rural general store with an antique working gas pump, hang a right on 537 to 26. take 26 northeast to 800 south, catch 255 in just a short jog. 255 down to the Ohio River is AWESOME. It is due to get repaved soon but was still very good to ride last fall. the views from some of the hilltops near the end are unbelievable for Ohio. Even better than "the rim of the world" section of Rt 78. Left on the Ohio River Scenic ByWay Rt 7, then gas up and left up the Ohio Dragon Rt 536... wow what a great 11 miles! This dumps you out on 78 again. Take it into Woodsfield or you can run Sykes Ridge Rd off of the top of 536 at a stop sign, down to Clarington I think it is,. link up to 556 back west and hit Woodsfield. catch 26 back to marietta, the covered bridge scenic byway. then run 676 back to 550 etc and plot a more direct route back.

This skips most of 260 which has some GREAT parts, and Germantown Rd that runs parallel to Dalzell, and Archers Fork Rd and others, but these are great roads. GREAT. You might just fall in love with the Red River Gorge area stuff long before you get here however, and not make it this far to find out! Both are GREAT choices for riding tho. Best of luck, ask any route questions you can think of to me if needed. I live for twisty roads and fun on two wheels.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-19-2017 at 12:55 AM.

'74 Rickman VR250 MX
    PROJECTS: