To experience Ohio riding....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
    My intent is to do 4 days of riding of about 200 miles per day, 3 nights of lodging, including the KY side of the Ohio River starting from Florence, KY and crossing in Aberdeen, OH. I do want to pace it so I can stop and look around too. I'm not just trying to rack up riding miles. Then I would start north toward Hocking Hills. I'm trying to configure a loop to include the other roads north and east of there, but not crossing into WV at this time. You listed a lot of good info that I'm trying to digest down to fit my trip. I'll be keeping my eye towards the weather forecast and warmer temps down there, since it is still going to be mid-April when I'm planning now, which is when I can do this. Otherwise I can do all the cold weather riding on twistie roads up here around New England if that's the case. I like your pics.
    Unless you can find some local route info for some great backroads between Florence, KY and Aberdeen, I would definitely try to focus on Kentucky roads southeast of Aberdeen 40 miles or so and beyond that east. That's where the more rugged hills start, basically bordering on the Daniel Boone National Forest that stretches north to south through a good percentage of the state. as you go much further east from that, once you get toward Louisa KY, the terrain gets downright AWESOME as you are nearing West Virginia.
    If your riding in Kentucky is focused on the areas around Florence and Aberdeen, I wouldn't spend as much time thrill seeking for good roads, I'd head to Eastern KY or SE Ohio or anywhere in West Virginia. WV and the western bordering edges of Virginia, eastern half of TN and a good portion of NC are the best states in the east to ride in. SE Ohio and Eastern KY rank right up there behind them.
    The closest thing I have seen up your way would be around Green Mountain National Forest in VT. Hogback Mountain lookout at the general store reminds me of countless West Virginia vistas. Very nice. WV is almost an entire state filled with amazing riding roads, however.
    Red River Gorge area and south of there in KY in DBNF area is an incredible place to ride. Worth focusing your efforts on.
    I think I have a cheat sheet of someone's notes on central KY great twisty roads. I will try to dig that up for you.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-18-2017, 10:54 PM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Here it is, smartphone screenshot from the Ohio Riders forum:

These I believe are all closer to Florence, KY than Aberdeen, but I am unfamiliar with these roads. I believe this route suggestion list was intended for Cincinnati area riders, who have no good roads to ride around SW Ohio despite Cincinnati and surrounding areas having large hills.
      I would venture to say that the roads around the Daniel Boone National Forest and East towards Louisa KY are substantially better than riding these. I am speculating, but it is a very clear fact that the hills in the regions I am praising are much more impressive scenic and rugged Appalachian Hills, where you are mentioning are much lesser hills. Still, better riding than a lot of the USA however. But if you are treating yourself to a sampling of the best this region has to offer, GO EAST!!!!

Only being vaguely familiar with central Kentucky and fairly familiar with most of Ohio, I personally would recommend going deeper and further east into KY quite a ways in search of good riding, and I would not cross into Ohio until at least Portsmouth or east. That is where you can jump onto some pretty decent roads and head NE to the better stuff. Some of THE BEST riding in Ohio that is very remote and seldom visited is around the Crown City Wildlife area that is southeast of Portsmouth a ways. Crossing the Ohio River at Ashland KY or Ironton OH would be a much better bet so you can stay in KY in search of great roads through central KY eastbound to get you to this point. This is where Ohio gets really good. Huntington would be the most ideal point to cross the Ohio River. North of this Crown City Wildlife area, Ohio gets a little less exciting until you get up towards the Lake Hope - Zaleski State Forest area and the Hocking Hills region just north of there. I would rate the Crown City Wildlife Area / Gallipolis area due north of Huntington WV / Proctorville OH as the #2 best riding in the state. #1 would be the region between the Ohio River, Woodsfield, and Marietta (south of OH-78 and mostly east of I-77). Ohio 78/377/Hocking/Zaleski-Lake Hope would rate as #3 as long as youre not in the Hocking area on a weekend! #4 would be out east a bit north near Zanesville/Cambridge/Coshocton/and out from Cambridge towards Wheeling and northeast of Woodsfield.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Chuck78; 03-19-2017, 03:30 AM.
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Here's what I'd do from some glancing at some motorcycle maps and notes... if you are in or near Florence for non motorcycle reasons, book it over to Falmouth KY. Take 22 to 10 to 19 to 165. If you were to head south of Florence, there is a big lull in the goodness of the terrain south of this route I just mentioned around Lexington, not nearly as exciting. From the Piqua KY area, make a direct route towards Stanton/Bowen/Slade/Pine Ridge KY. Not much good from Piqua until you get near that area. Ride around that area as it is some of THE BEST in the state of KY. From there one option would be to head up north toward Morehead (where some of my family is from, used to visit there all the time, great hills), take 32 all the way to Louisa KY. This road looks pretty darn great.
        Cut down US52 just across the WV KY border from Louisa, head down to 152 and head north toward Huntington. Here you can cross into Proctorville Ohio.

You could also keep as an alternate in case the weather is better there, the area southeast of Slade KY all the way to near the TN border - Pine Mountain, Jenkins, Elkhorn City etc. Just southeast and east of that Slade KY area of the Daniel Boone National Forest are a lot more very twisty and fantastic roads. I'd seriously familiarize yourself with those areas as well as a backup/alternate plan based on weather. Look up some lodging options as well. If you go down this area, check out 160 from Cumberland KY down to Appalachia VA... talk about a WICKED twisty road... wow. KY66 south of Oneida. GREAT.
        Last edited by Chuck78; 03-18-2017, 11:46 PM.
        '79 GS425stock
        PROJECTS:
        '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

If you decide to follow this general guideline and come into Ohio at Proctorville, here are the tips from the two best insiders I know if who are experienced in riding this area around Crown City Wildlife Area in Ohio:

My buddy Denny (took road photos above) has been there numerous times. Here are reports from the past 6 years:

Originally posted by Ohio Riders March 2011
          The roads are fairly curvy and haved good elevation change as well. But they tend to be pretty narrow and have lots of driveway connections on them. Never see any cops and very few other cars at all.
          ------------------------------------
          I've ridden through there many times, roads are fun but some are not in the greatest shape for what most sport bike riders consider fun. For the dual sport crowd it is perfect.
          Outstanding scenery, rode through the bottoms, into some real Appalachia life....horse drawn plows, great 2 lanes but not for speed. Lots of blind curves (miss em you go over some good drop offs). Just before catching 141 I ran through some real desolate area's as I did running through Wayne Forrest. Almost like Dueling Banjo's/Deliverance type scenery in places.
          Originally posted by Denny in March 2011
          790,775 from Wigus to Lecta, 217 especially from 7 to 218 are all very twisty and good. 218 is good, but it always seems to have alot of gravel in corners.141 is more open, kinda like 800. If you're in that area and like twisty roads check out Greasy Ridge road...it parallels 775.If the pavement is still good that is one twisty road.The pavement was getting bad on the south end last year,but the rest of Greasy Ridge is one of the best county roads I know.Have fun...Gallia and Lawerence counties are really overlooked when it comes to good riding.
          Just for fun...google Greasy Ridge.

Originally posted by Denny in May 2013
          Gallia and Lawerence counties are 2 of the most overlooked counties for motorcycle roads in the state.

217,218,790,141 and 243 are all good,and in some places very good!790 that runs between 775 and 218 is getting paved this year.

Greasy Ridge Rd that parallels 775 (and crosses it twice) is one of my top two or three favorite county roads in S.E.O. (FYI seo= SE Ohio). The last time I rode it the pavement was rough south of 217,but north of 217 it's a blast.
          Originally posted by Denny in August 2016
          As for conditions...I was down there early this year ...217 from 141 to Greasy Ridge was paved last year and still very good.217 from Greasy Ridge to 7 is older and getting a little rough.I would still run it though because 217 from 218 to 7 is one of the four twistiest roads I know in SEO.From what I remember 218,141 and 790 where all in very good condition although 790 was very dirty for some reason.I hope it's clean for your trip because it is a very good road.
          Two county roads in that area worth trying ...Hannon Trace from 775 to 790 is very good.You can pick it up on 790 about a mile from 218.
          Greasy Ridge road is a fun tight sweeper road.It parallels 775 and crosses it two or three times.The bottom part was paved last year but the top part is still older pavement, but still fun.
          Sadly the best part of 775,Wilgus to Lecta,is full of tar snakes.
          Originally posted by Denny in Aug 2016 pt2
          217 from 141 to either Greasy Ridge or 775 is a very twisty/tricky road with new pavement last year.There are a couple of switchbacks on that section that are as tight as you're going to find in Ohio.These are what I call cartoon corners.Remember the old loonytoons mountain chases where their front paws are gripping the mountain road and their rear paws were spinning in the air?Yeah,that kind of turn!217 from 218 to 7(Miller) is a very twisty section in the same league as 530 or 536.It's only about 5 miles so I usually do an out and back to Miller and then continue on 218 or 775.The pavement is getting a little rough on that part of 217,but if you like the tight twisty stuff you'll like it.The best part of 218 is south of Mercerville.The road surface is a little suspect...I'm not sure if it's good chipseal or pavement but it's not the most confidence inspiring.Very twisty but I'm always a little cautious when I run this area.
          Here's route I usually run in that area...
          from 135...
          141e
          775s
          Hannon Trace se
          790 sw?
          775s
          141sw
          217e to Miller
          217w
          218 n to 7
          This is just my preferred route and it does leave out some good stuff on 775,141,236 and Greasy Ridge.
          One other thing... if you do ride 217 until it crosses Greasy Ridge you will notice a Vietnam Era artillery piece. This is the Danny Hayes Memorial.217 is the Danny Hayes memorial highway.I highly recommend stopping and reading the plaque about Danny Hayes.We sometimes use the word hero pretty cheaply,Danny Hayes is the real deal!

Originally posted by Ohio Riders topics Aug. 2016
          That's some good roads down through there. I haven't been this year, but I've ridden them before. Not very many gas stations. Stop by Hillbilly Hotdog in Lesage, WV if you have never been before. It's a sight to see.
          I just moved from that area. I have some maps left over I will post here.

Watch for gravel, residual clutter is usually there for at least a week after a rain. On top of that the local drivers dont seem to grasp the concept of motor vehicle operation and cut every corner throwing debri on the road. When it is clear the area is amazing for riding.

If you have more time and are already down that far, pop back over towards ashland after you hit 141, 775, 217, 218, 790 (my favorite road on ohio by far) and take KY1S across 64 to sandy hook. There you fill find one of the best kept motorcycle secrets of the Appalachian area. KY32. Take 3 N from there and hit the stuff in Lawrence and Gallia counties again.

Scioto & Lawrence Counties:

Grab some hillbilly hot dogs while you are in Huntington.

Fyi Dennis, I clocked it. 217 to 7 is 44 curves in about 4 miles iirc. Lol
          We made it out to some of these roads but of course it started raining so we bypassed much of it. I like 141. It was actually fun just wish it wasn't in such a residential area.
          We tried to pick up 217 from 141 after the rain stopped and there were detour signs so we took some weird road trying to bypass it and ended up just in front of the detour. Luckily detour signs don't apply to motorcycles and we just went through. The next day we picked it up again from the beginning and road it through. Very nice road but it was crazy dirty. Like giant piles of gravel and mud. Must've gotten hit hard with the storms a few days prior. I'd love to try it again some day when it's cleaner.
          It was fun area though. We liked it.
          Honestly it is kind of hard to catch it clear. At least 1 week after any kind of precipitation usually.

141 is nice, luckily all of the good sections are away from the houses. 775 is just as good.
          Last edited by Chuck78; 03-19-2017, 12:45 AM.
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

^^^ Note the Kentucky 32 reference... "one of the best kept motorcycle secrets of the Appalachian area" definitely a must on your route if heading into Ohio this way!!!!

I'd plot out your time frame on a route through the red river gorge area of Daniel Boone National Forest, and run route 32 for sure. Look into that other jog south and up to Huntington, maybe cut it out of time doesn't allow. run a nice route through the Crown City area, and then book it straight up towards Nelsonville or Glouster. If you don't have time to make it past that area, you at least must do a loop of 78 from Glouster to 377 south to 266S to 792 S to 676 S/W, you can then take a boring stretch of 555 south to 550, head toward sharpsburg to run the only great section of 550, then hit 377 north to 555 if you wish, back to 78 the other direction. then you can run up to the Hocking Hills area for a quick run and some great sights.

If seeing some impressive cliff areas is a huge interest, do that. if finding more twisty riding areas, I'd head deep into SE OH after running 78 Glouster to 555 or 377. I have a back way if you run 377 266 792 676. you can take some back roads off of 676 up to lowell hill rd and then gas up and catch 530 out of Lowell, which is amazing, Then run down 841 I think is to hit Dalzell Rd through a section of Wayne National Forest, turns chip seal near the county line and has a different name, hits 565 - hang a right this road is great! Then left on 260 and at the bottom of a big hill at a farm and very rural general store with an antique working gas pump, hang a right on 537 to 26. take 26 northeast to 800 south, catch 255 in just a short jog. 255 down to the Ohio River is AWESOME. It is due to get repaved soon but was still very good to ride last fall. the views from some of the hilltops near the end are unbelievable for Ohio. Even better than "the rim of the world" section of Rt 78. Left on the Ohio River Scenic ByWay Rt 7, then gas up and left up the Ohio Dragon Rt 536... wow what a great 11 miles! This dumps you out on 78 again. Take it into Woodsfield or you can run Sykes Ridge Rd off of the top of 536 at a stop sign, down to Clarington I think it is,. link up to 556 back west and hit Woodsfield. catch 26 back to marietta, the covered bridge scenic byway. then run 676 back to 550 etc and plot a more direct route back.

This skips most of 260 which has some GREAT parts, and Germantown Rd that runs parallel to Dalzell, and Archers Fork Rd and others, but these are great roads. GREAT. You might just fall in love with the Red River Gorge area stuff long before you get here however, and not make it this far to find out! Both are GREAT choices for riding tho. Best of luck, ask any route questions you can think of to me if needed. I live for twisty roads and fun on two wheels.
            Last edited by Chuck78; 03-19-2017, 12:55 AM.
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Gee Whiz!

Now I want to go. One of my good friends from work lives in Cambridge Ohio.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                Gee Whiz!

Are you in the area next month? Your nephew still riding the GS1100E I delivered to him in ME? You want to buy my GS850G and keep in OH?

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                  Are you in the area next month? Your nephew still riding the GS1100E I delivered to him in ME? You want to buy my GS850G and keep in OH?
                  No, none of the above. I still have a 850G I'm not using. I might talk to my buddy about storing it at his place though. We have been talking about going to Mid Ohio Vintage days for years. My nephew still has the 1100E I bought from you. He quit riding it a few years back. I'm not sure why. He did ride it up to the top of Mount Washington. I've never been up there.
                  Last edited by 850 Combat; 03-22-2017, 01:20 PM.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Gee Whiz!

There are a handful of REALLY GREAT riding groads directly northwest of Cambridge... 658 & 209 are world class, 16 miles of awesomeness if linked together. the intersection of the 2 is literally just 3 minutes outside of Cambridge. 83 from 93 to 209 is GREAT. 93 between Zanesville or Adamsville & 541 is real good, New Hope Rd and Norfield Rd are both real nice, I take Guernsey Valley Rd after the top of 658 @ 541, right on Eighth Street Rd south to 541 again westward, then do 658 and 209 the opposite direction... one marked 30mph curve on 658 is known to crash people as evidenced by the half knocked down old mini barn on the right as you enter the left hand turn northbound... either direction it's unsuspecting, should be marked 20mph. Southbound you'll see hill on the right of the corner directly after a residence with a big out building pole barn or 2 and some big heavy equipment trucks (old well drilling rigs?). 658 can bite you, it's all over the place 15mph to 45mph turns, unpredictable. In a slow car you seldom can get even up to the speed limit on this road!!!
                    209 is easier with world class sections of back to back to back to back etc very long radius neverending sweepers for several miles from 658 to 83 on top of a beautiful ridge... very awesome for all skill levels.

About 45 minutes to 55 minutes south-southeast of Cambridge is the real goldmine of incredible Ohio roads... 260, 26, 536, 255, 530, Dalzell Rd, Germantown Rd, 565, 537 are the best of the best.Archers Fork Rd, Rinard Mills Rd, Sykes Ridge Rd back to 556 to the upper portion of 26 back to Woodsfield...great run there, 800, Stanleyville Rd I believe it's called....
                    Best riding in Ohio. Almost zero traffic / LEO. Very desolate area in and out of farmland and Wayne National Forest. Only gas stations are in some of the towns on the Ohio river (not all), Marietta, Woodsfield, & Caldwell. And Lowell. Not many for the square mileage this territory covers! Desolate.
                    Last edited by Chuck78; 03-22-2017, 07:17 PM.
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

No, none of the above. I still have a 850G I'm not using. I might talk to my buddy about storing it at his place though. We have been talking about going to Mid Ohio Vintage days for years. My nephew still has the 1100E I bought from you. He quit riding it a few years back. I'm not sure why. He did ride it up to the top of Mount Washington. I've never been up there.
                      I rode up the Mt Washington auto road last year mid week in the spring on my old XJ900. Still cost $15 and at mile 7 they were dumping new dirt/gravel for the mile or so stretch of the auto road that is not paved. Coming around a steep blind hairpin turn and seeing a flag man 50 feet in front of a fully extended big dump truck blocking your path gets your attention! Balancing the bike at a steep upward angle for 20 minutes waiting for them to finish with side ways gusts of 40-50mph made it very challenging. Then resuming up on loose pack squeezed to the shoulder (there really isn't a shoulder, just the edge and a freefall on rocks) to let the dump truck squeeze by, with street tires squirming away was thrilling. Then there are multiple hairpin turns and no guardrails between you and the steep rocky drop offs is a rush too. Stayed at the summit for an hour, had lunch and crystal clear views with no people made it worthwhile. Then there was a complete whiteout (as usual for the summit) but as soon as it cleared I took the opportunity to start down. Coming done was the same thing with another stretch being dumped with new loosepack, only tilting the other way for 20 minutes and tail winds shooting you from the rear, keeping balanced. Yeah, I would do it again though.
                      Another time many years ago I did the auto road with my old Triumph 650 chopper, with no front brake, a springer front end and no rear suspension....another story.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2017, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Just read this entire thread and all I can say is wow!!!!! You guys that live in this area are some lucky folks. This is going to be a destination for me this summer for sure.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          Just read this entire thread and all I can say is wow!!!!! You guys that live in this area are some lucky folks. This is going to be a destination for me this summer for sure.

Have you read the traveling picnic thread? If this is a destination this summer for you, I suggest you come down for as long as possible early/mid July... AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days weekend at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course is July 7-9 is a first place tie with Barber for easily being THE ABSOLUTE BEST vintage motorcycle event in the eastern US, maybe all of the US for all I know... camping at the racetrack, vintage racing, 20+ acre swap meet, and my favorite part - being in the same location for an entire weekend with thousands of vintage motorcycle fanatics and drooling at all the bikes ridden there to the event, and the swap meet and bike show bikes, etc... Friday and Saturday are the days to go. Everyone generally is packing up on Sunday except the racers. You can take state route 97 east out of the nearest town and head into the eastern ohio hills from there. Ask me for a few good preferred route options through this area, I'll have to look at a map to refresh my memory on the ones just ouf of Mohican State Forest. Or I can say just take a route off 97 and hit 83 southbound. It has some good stretches up that way, and then gets real good for a 5 mile stretch after 93... then you can hit 209 and maybe the tricky 658. head back south on Eighth Street Rd, then make a line over to 148 near Belaire I think it is. catch the top part of 26 into Woodsfield... Then you have it made. south of Woodsfield east and west, east of Woodsfield, wow...great riding! Be sure to cross into WV to Proctor Creek Rd to Amos Hollow Rd to US250 (world class road Moundsville WV to Hundred WV). Great riding.

The entire state of WV is really the best state in the eastern US for riding roads. Nearly the entire state is filled with hills, almost no large flat areas anywhere... Eastern KY is basically an extension of WV as well... and the NE WV mountains.... amazing! A bit far from Nebraska however.

Anyone interested, please always email me for advice on route planning if you are trying to ride these areas. there is a lot of awesomeness to be had.

You can make a full weekend of just riding the SE Ohio roads and not even hit them all. A full week to hit Red River Gorge KY, KY-32, SE Ohio near Gallipolis/Crown City up to Marietta/Woodfield, cross the Ohio River at Hannibal (?) And ride proctor creek Rd to Amos Hollow Rd to US250 and then into that area of WV (I'll have to revisit my notes for roads in that area but there are some GREAT ones... WV-7 and WV-20 if I recall. Webster Springs to Diana to Sutton Head seems to ring a bell
                          Last edited by Chuck78; 04-09-2017, 10:54 AM.
                          '79 GS425stock
                          PROJECTS:
                          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
                            Have you read the traveling picnic thread? If this is a destination this summer for you, I suggest you come down for as long as possible early/mid July... AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days weekend at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course is July 7-9 is a first place tie with Barber for easily being THE ABSOLUTE BEST vintage motorcycle event in the eastern US, maybe all of the US for all I know... camping at the racetrack, vintage racing, 20+ acre swap meet, and my favorite part - being in the same location for an entire weekend with thousands of vintage motorcycle fanatics and drooling at all the bikes ridden there to the event, and the swap meet and bike show bikes, etc... Friday and Saturday are the days to go. Everyone generally is packing up on Sunday except the racers. You can take state route 97 east out of the nearest town and head into the eastern ohio hills from there. Ask me for a few good preferred route options through this area, I'll have to look at a map to refresh my memory on the ones just ouf of Mohican State Forest. Or I can say just take a route off 97 and hit 83 southbound. It has some good stretches up that way, and then gets real good for a 5 mile stretch after 93... then you can hit 209 and maybe the tricky 658. head back south on Eighth Street Rd, then make a line over to 148 near Belaire I think it is. catch the top part of 26 into Woodsfield... Then you have it made. south of Woodsfield east and west, east of Woodsfield, wow...great riding! Be sure to cross into WV to Proctor Creek Rd to Amos Hollow Rd to US250 (world class road Moundsville WV to Hundred WV). Great riding.

The entire state of WV is really the best state in the eastern US for riding roads. Nearly the entire state is filled with hills, almost no large flat areas anywhere... Eastern KY is basically an extension of WV as well... and the NE WV mountains.... amazing! A bit far from Nebraska however.

Anyone interested, please always email me for advice on route planning if you are trying to ride these areas. there is a lot of awesomeness to be had.

You can make a wee
                            Yes I have read the traveling picnic thread and am currently trying to make it work out for me. Trying to make sure all the planets align in the correct order.
                            I do have some experience with riding in Ky. and WV. Agreed, some beautiful roads for motorcycling.
                            If I can make it out there I will have all the above routes mapped out to get the best rides possible. Thanks.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I did 83, 78, 374, 93 and a few others today. Great roads and in nice shape. Even spent a few hours hiking Old Man caves in Hocking Hills. Just that I was without a bike and in the cage. I have some pics but no wifi now.

Comment

Did you leave the bike at home for your trip? Or are you just here early doing reconnaissance, scouting out the area?
                                93 down near Hocking is just "decent" for this area, 83 south of Interstate 70 I have never hit 83, because there are so many other roads in the area that are much more enticing.
                                83 and 93 are 2 of the best roads in the area east and northeast of Zanesville, however (north of I-70). This is quite a ways from Hocking and 78.
                                So you are still coming back on bike later this month, right? Just in the truck this time?

Make sure to check out Big Pine Rd (Conkles Hollow hiking trails are there, excellent gorge trail) east of 374 to 664, & 56 east of 374's southern terminus, a short 5 mile stretch to the gas station at 664&56. That is one of the absolute best stretches if pavement in the area, and FINALLY it got repaved late last year. The prior year they paved 56 from the Lake Hope - Zaleski State Forest area up to 374. The remainder is now fresh. Very excellent section of road if you are in the area.

78 takes the crown for me as best road overall however, because other than several miles around McConnelsville, it is absolutely wonderful from Nelsonville or Glouster all the way to Caldwell. If you picked up 83 off of 78, I'd recommend taking 260 south instead. To 26 to Marietta to 676. Then 550 from 555 to Sharpsburg(?) Then to Athens or north on 555 or 377 back to 78 for more curves that way.
                                The area around 260 & 26 is where you will find some of the best riding in the state. Just west of Interstate 77 from there are 78, 530, 377, 676, 550 & those are great roads as well but the concentrations of the best roads are the area between Marietta and Woodfield and south. Also closer to your Kentucky starting point, the area around Gallipolis and Crown City - more incredible roads but very desolate area as well, we never make it down that way as it is further from home.
                                The Lake Hope - Zaleski Forest, Hocking Hills Forest, & Burr Oak Forest (78) areas are 3 way tie for the #2 best riding areas in Ohio.
                                Last edited by Chuck78; 04-09-2017, 09:20 AM.
                                '79 GS425stock
                                PROJECTS:
                                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                                X