Locating the rear wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locating the rear wheel

I'm finishing up my 630-530 conversion, and having trouble re-locating the rear wheel. I'm not missing any pieces according to the parts diagrams, but I can't tighten the caliper bracket bolts without "grabbing" the rotor. The caliper doesn't seem to be locating itself correctly.

- I've tried keeping them loose, setting the adjustment screws on the swingarm on both sides to match, and that doesn't help.
    - The caliper axle castle nut is loose to allow play while I'm trying, but doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm including a couple pictures here. I'm also unsure if I'm supposed to have so much clearance on the left side of the bike after the chain- I can't find a picture to compare to.

Thanks everyone for all the help going above/beyond the service manuals.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/HwvJn

Jeff

look like two spacers doubled on the left side
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

naw that wouldhave the opposite impact. strip her down is number 7 on the fiche correctly located?
      1983 GS 550 LD
      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

is part 16 swapped in the place of part 6?
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Looks like u have right spacer behind the caliper bracket... https://sites.create-cdn.net/siteima...04/400x400.jpg
          As for #7 bolts located correctly just double check but looks like enough thread poking out. The have one flat area that need to recess into the sprocket carrier. Need to remove the wheel to double check.

Comment

I double-checked 2, 5, and 6, but you're right, #7 is buried in the wheel. I'll take it off tomorrow and report back what I find.

Comment

Morning update: Here's the wheel off the bike, and the associated spacers I've got (in the order they were installed). The wheel hub has never come apart (evidenced by the dirt on left side of hub around bolt heads), so I don't think the problem is internal to the wheel.

Thoughts?

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/BmtYh

Comment

In your photo the spacer beside the sprocket is wrong. I think it belongs on the other side and inserts into the seal between the wheel and the caliper. You can see the wear marks on it where it fits into the seal.
                '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                  In your photo the spacer beside the sprocket is wrong. I think it belongs on the other side and inserts into the seal between the wheel and the caliper. You can see the wear marks on it where it fits into the seal.
                  Isn't that part #6? Or is that #2, and what I've got as 2 is really 16?

Comment

nope 2 is th wheel bearing
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

remove the caliper from disc then tighten axle
                      put caliper back on
                      this maybe just some play?
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                        That's what it looks like. Next time take pictures of everything as you go.

Comment

Alright, I've made one change- the thick washer #16 was inside the caliper V-mount, instead of outside. I've made that correction, but the wheel *still* does not spin freely without the rotors grabbing.

I made sure to leave the axle nut loose while I adjusted each side's adjustment screws to make sure the wheel is straight, and the first time I did that, the wheel was indeed spinning free. However, as soon as I started to tighten the castle nut, the rotor immediately got pinched. It's just not centered in the caliper, and I'm reaching wits-end on what I'm missing.

Here's a current picture: https://imgur.com/a/ryNGk

Comment

This is all the info u SHOULD need....

Also take the sprocket carrier off and double check if the bolts are sitting correctly INSIDE the carrier. Bolt the sprocket up to it while its apart. Bolts do fall inside it a little
                            Last edited by Guest; 03-18-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

anychance yah depressed the rear brake pedal?
                              that would push out the pistons.
                              1983 GS 550 LD
                              2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Working...
                              X