No announcement yet.

Locating the rear wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

was the new tire spin-balanced on a machine? maybe the inner spacer has been missing for some time, and when the wheel was installed on the balancer, the cone-shaped ends that are used to secure the wheel were tightened too much. this could have pushed a bearing in, if no spacer was there. grasping at straws here.

i assume the sprocket alignment is now off by the same amount?

Comment

Originally posted by standswithabeer View Post
      was the new tire spin-balanced on a machine? maybe the inner spacer has been missing for some time, and when the wheel was installed on the balancer, the cone-shaped ends that are used to secure the wheel were tightened too much. this could have pushed a bearing in, if no spacer was there. grasping at straws here.

i assume the sprocket alignment is now off by the same amount?
      Sprocket alignment should still be fine. It's set by the spacers on the LH side and the position of the bearing in the sprocket carrier.

I'm beginning to think that questioning the shop about any problems that might have occurred during the tire fitting and balancing could be worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        Sprocket alignment should still be fine. It's set by the spacers on the LH side and the position of the bearing in the sprocket carrier.

I'm beginning to think that questioning the shop about any problems that might have occurred during the tire fitting and balancing could be worthwhile.
        Perhaps so. I may very well give them a jingle before I go to work tomorrow. They're not open on Sun/Mon, and the owner will be back from a trip by then too. I went to high school with they guy and he knows these bikes inside and out, so he will make sure it's right if it's a matter of anything the man child on duty did to my wheel.

The event that caused this situation was either -I lost a spacer- OR -tech altered the bearings somehow-. I can easily believe I lost a spacer but there does not appear to be anything missing vs. parts diagram. I'm not sure how the tech could have altered the bearings if they sit on a fixed shelf in the hub. I will say that the central 'tube' in the hub between the two bearings is NOT loose, it's quite snug.
        "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

What happens if you put spacer '8' between spacer the 'top hat' spacer and the caliper holder?
          1980 GS550ET

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
            What happens if you put spacer '8' between spacer the 'top hat' spacer and the caliper holder?
            That spacer is probably between 1-2cm wide. Mounted in that fashion places the caliper too far in the other direction. Much further than the 1.4mm that it's off presently.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Yep, I see that now. And the fiche I looked at said you have all the parts, and in the right order. Nothing on the sprocket side should affect clearance between caliper, disc and spokes. If the problem is inboard of the top hat spacer, then that would explain the proximity of the caliper to the spokes, but wouldn't explain why the caliper won't fit the disc.

I think it was probably just camera angle, but one or two of your pictures looked like some of the parts may not be square to each other. Are you happy that all the various parts are fitting square and true?
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

It's probably camera angle and possibly a bit of smoosh from the tight fit. Without the carrier in place the caliper drops down right over the rotor nice and centered, as it always has.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Comparing bearing seating on hub

Photoshop.jpg

Comment

This is for a wire wheel but using a GSX arm. I used same numbers as Allie posted. BUT all we are worried about is why that carrier isnt sitting right. Bearing depth in the hub is close to mine and i presume the OD of the bearings as they sit in the hub is same. So wheels bearings where never removed and are in good condition. If all ure parts measure same its the only thing i can think of, collapsed bearing or no wheel spacer, by thats easy to check.

specs for allie.jpg
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2018, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Well it seems that my bearings are in fine fettle. The spacer tube is present between the bearings. The inside and outside diameters of the bearings are flush. It seems like the only option left is a bent caliper mount. That's a pretty sturdy hunk of aluminum so that's highly improbable. What was it that Mr. Holmes said? I don't think we need to know the width of it either, only how far the inside of it sits from the bearings (and consequently the rotor). I think I'm getting ready to go to Home Despot and buy a handful of thin spacers and see what that gives me. I'd be tempted to just add a 1.4mm spacer between the Top Hat and the caliper mount but I think it would have the ultimate effect of deflecting both sides of the swing arm thus equally altering the center of the axle by ~.52mm - a potentially not super duper thing for sprocket alignment. Adding a small amount to each side is likely the way to go. Hope I don't start to cover the cotter pin hole.....................

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Is it possible the shop person removed the rotor and did not reinstall it correctly, resulting in the offset?

David
                        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

I just can't figure out what could have changed? Very puzzling. Anyway Allie, if you need any custom made spacers or washers made I'd be happy to make them for you. Just give me some dimensions. 👍
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

So did you just take just the wheel to the shop or the whole wheel/axle setup? And before you tighten up the axle do you have a spare 1.4mm gap? One thing you mite try is get a socket to suit the OD of the wheel bearing (47mm) and hit the bearing from the LHS to try and settle the bearing but there should be a lip on the inside of the hub that it sits on anyway. I know its wrong/weird but ill just be adding the 1.4mm to the top hat and not worry about spacers both sides. Then if you want to double check you can string line the wheels like in pic below. Center stand mite get in the road so be a 2 person job. Dont worry about long hunks of wood/straight edge, pic below is the cave man way and best way. String tied to a brick/whatever then wraps around back of wheel then tied to the other brick. Get the string to rest against the rear sidewall/tread of the tyre making sure its one or the other NOT both and pull tight with the bricks. Measure where the red arrows go and if all the same ure all set. Bear in mind you dealing with a 40 yr old bike with a history. You seem to have a understanding of ure doo lackies and whats ya bobs, so sorry if i have it dumb down a bit. lol

string Line.jpg
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2018, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Allie,

I was thinking of this earlier and I had a similar problem some time ago. It seems the rubber cushions under the sprocket carrier on my 550T weren't fully and properly seated causing the sprocket carrier to not sit down as far as it should have. Once I decided to remove it to check other items I found a couple of them out of place, fixed them, and reseated the sprocket carrier. Sure enough everything came together just fine.

I didn't read through everything to see if you had already rechecked that so please forgive me if I'm talking out of the corner of my mouth on this one
                              sigpic
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thank you fellows no I am not in the least concerned with dumbing down or corner of mouth talking. Any effective (and civil) method of transmitting knowledge is welcome. I will check the rubber baby buggy bumpers and the rotor. Rotor does not look tampered with but I'll double check. I keep thinking "all else being equal if it fit before it should fit now" but all else is NOT equal, somewhere somehow SOMETHING is different. And to answer question with axle bolt loose and caliper installed there is 'slight' drag on the rotor, with axle nut properly tightened there is 'considerable' drag.

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Working...
                                X