New to me 1983 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello again,

How's the bike working out for you? I have a favor to ask. Can you post pics of your Front Brakes and focus on the BRAKE SPLITTER area?

Thanks!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Finally completed the carb rebuild and took the old girl for a ride. I'd forgotten how powerful these old bikes are. This thing rips!

I'll get you some pics of the front brakes and splitter when I get a minute. Do you need pics of the splitter at the top of the forks? And then pics of the brakes and anti-dive setup?
      GS History: 1980 GS1000E, 1982 GS1100G, 1983 GS1100ES, 1986 GSXR750,
      Current: 1983 GS1100ED, 2006 Suzuki 650 VStrom, 2009 Concours C14 ABS,

Comment

Originally posted by hlh1 View Post
        Finally completed the carb rebuild and took the old girl for a ride. I'd forgotten how powerful these old bikes are. This thing rips!

I'll get you some pics of the front brakes and splitter when I get a minute. Do you need pics of the splitter at the top of the forks? And then pics of the brakes and anti-dive setup?
        What you described would be perfect!

Thanks!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I saw your friend's list of other bikes. Not sure you will be passing any of them (except the DL) Nice bike regardless. I have a Red and a Blue....
          sigpic
          09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
          1983 GS1100e
          82\83 1100e Frankenbike
          1980 GS1260
          Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Here's the brake pics:

Comment

After working on the bike I found this leftover part. Anyone know what it is and where it goes?

Comment

Looks like a cover for the rear brake caliper. The groove is where the rotor moves through.
                Last edited by posplayr; 03-29-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Here's the brake pics:

Thanks!!!

Ed
                  GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Ed, if memory serves that piece that looks like cooling fins at the splitter is just a plastic cover.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Looks like a cover for the rear brake caliper. The groove is where the rotor moves through.
                      I looked, but didn't fit anything on the rear caliper. I got to thinking I saw this part appear when removing the rear tail section of the bike and found it actually goes here, on the of the rear seat latch:

Now I'm seeing that this rear seat latch part should be at then end of the part, under the latch. In other words it's broke.
                      Last edited by hlh1; 03-30-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                        Ed, if memory serves that piece that looks like cooling fins at the splitter is just a plastic cover.
                        Yeah, I kinda figured it was a cover looking at the parts fische. Now I'm trying to figure out what the splitter is bolted to...Under the triple tree.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                          Yeah, I kinda figured it was a cover looking at the parts fische. Now I'm trying to figure out what the splitter is bolted to...Under the triple tree.

Ed
                          Yes, it's just a plastic cover. I'll get you another pic without the cover on.

Comment

Yes, it's just a plastic cover. I'll get you another pic without the cover on.
                            That'll work. I'm looking at the bolt on location.

Ed
                            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Here's a pic of how it's bolted to the lower triple clamp:

After the pic I cleaned out all the dead bugs.

Here she is again in all her glory:

Comment

She's beautiful!

I'm researching how the splitter is supposed to be positioned on the tree. Looks like a bolt holding a clip is all that's keeping it in-place. More to follow.

Ed
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X