Just got my first GS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got my first GS!

Hello! Brand new GS owner here. Have an '81 GS450L. Pretty much mint condition, working on fixing a few gremlins, but she's named Rocinante and pretty solid all around. Looking forward to learning all about the GS and riding all summer long! I'm in DC, by the way. Photo Mar 09, 8 54 09 AM.jpg

Welcome!

Those are definitely not "L" handle bars. Bike looks good. I'm in Delaware and looking forward to this riding season.

What sorta issues you got? Those Gremlins are easily fixable once you identify what they are. Enjoy your bike!

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Hah, yeah, dropped from the stock bars to some Euros. Also swapped out the turn signals from the stalks to bullets, and put on bar end mirrors. Next step is finding a flatter seat, just to get a couple inches of leg back and not be on tippy-tip toes (before fiddling with suspension).

Current gremlin is electrical. There's an issue with the right turn signal - hopefully just a fuse or a bad ground? Replaced the flasher relay, got them both working again, then the right was flashing the headlight and brake light at the end of the (short) ride, before the electrics cut out completely. Turn the key to "ON" and nothing comes on.

Comment

Welcome! Good luck and enjoy your new ride.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS450L View Post
            Hah, yeah, dropped from the stock bars to some Euros. Also swapped out the turn signals from the stalks to bullets, and put on bar end mirrors. Next step is finding a flatter seat, just to get a couple inches of leg back and not be on tippy-tip toes (before fiddling with suspension).

Current gremlin is electrical. There's an issue with the right turn signal - hopefully just a fuse or a bad ground? Replaced the flasher relay, got them both working again, then the right was flashing the headlight and brake light at the end of the (short) ride, before the electrics cut out completely. Turn the key to "ON" and nothing comes on.
            I have the same electrical issue with my turn signal too. Probably a contact issue that I have to evaluate.

Ed
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Welcome to the site.
              Amazing how much better the L model looks with a Superbike bar.
              No positive but i thin k the T seat will swap over. Have a search.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check that seat out!

Comment

I've done the T seat onto my GS450L it is a direct swap.

This one would work but is super $$$ if you wait a cheaper one will come up I think I paid $50 for mine.
                  Last edited by sam000lee; 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM.
                  1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                  1977 GS550
                  1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
                  X