Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jed'z 1989 Honda VTR250 Soft Restoration...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jed'z 1989 Honda VTR250 Soft Restoration...

So I picked up an 89 VTR250 for $500 as of recent. Runs very nicely but can definitely tell the bike has been sitting in storage for some time. I have about 20 miles on it so far to bring out the kinks and there are definite kinks!

Firstly pics:

So the rattle can white paint job is a bit Rough, So I'm going to have my first go at a Vinyl wrap... Plan on running Black with red VTR decals from the European and Asian market VTR250... Pictures to post once completed. I'm trying to make it looks something like the 98 VTR1000 Fireblades:

When I bought the bike the PO told me the front tire had a small leak and said the rim or valve stem was likely the issue. I noticed the tire was going flat in about 24 hour time period. After getting back home from my last ride I noticed the bottom of the IRC tires was very badly dry rotted (clearly from sting for too long) and there was a hole that was making bubbles (with the soapy water trick)... So i have a new valve stem and a new front Pireli Sport Demon on their way in. Also the Front brake pads are on the low side and I plan on swapping those out. The bike is officially grounded until I swap the shoes.

Rear tire is also on the list of things to get... It's a Bridgestone that's in decent shape but it's old... I'll likely grab that rear tire after getting this first chunk of tasks completed. I'm also looking to go to a 520 Chain conversion, currently it sports the dreaded 428. (which isn't bad but you just can't buy any other sprockets other then stock sizes). I'll go through the process in doing that... Looks like it takes a Suzuki GS500 front sprocket and a Yamaha YZ250 rear. Common swap consists of a 14T front and 54T rear, that it like talking 1.5 off the front stock gearing. The bike is geared pretty low, 6th definitely acts more like an OD.

Fluids and plugs are going to be changed once I get the plastics off. The spark plugs I discovered were installed hand tight...

Lastly the PO stated the bike had a dead battery and bought a new one (a generic sealed). I've ridden it 2 times and each time the battery died. I ran my spare Li-ion I have for jumps and the bike read 14.2V at the poles when off and then on it dropped to 12.2V. Went for a run and when I rolled in the Voltage dropped to 11.2V. Regardless however high I revved the bike the Voltage never increased. So I read up and complete charging failure is a pretty common occurrence on these bikes... So brand new Stator, R&R and quality battery are ordered and are on their way in.

I've done it so many time with the GS's that it's almost common maintenance (HAHA). I read it's very common for these VTR250's to have their electrical systems go when left in storage for many year. As I dig in more, the more I realize that this bike must have sat for some time... It runs very well, I added Sta-Bil to the fuel and topped off with Ethanol free premium to keep the carbs set while I put her down for some more "revival" maintenance. However it looks like the bike was just hanging out with the other bike's the PO had in his storage shed. Glad to have my hands on it and bring it back to spec!

I'll keep up the thread with pictures as I dig into it more and more.

I plan to run the Pireli Sport Demons for I've read they are the best for handling for these classic machines. The 100/90 16" front tire is an odd size but I think the inboard disc is cool and totally functional to warrant a front end swap. The bike suspension is in real good shape and it handles very very well. I still can't get over the fact how quick this little 250 will get to 75mph...

I'll likely add an LED AUX light once I figure the charging system issues so there is a bit more viability. I plan to make it a fun weekend carver and I also intend to do some big rides with it...

Thanks for tuning in!
    Jedz Moto
    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
    1988 Honda GL1500-6
    2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
    2020 Honda Monkey Z125
    2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
    Originally posted by Hayabuser
    Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Fun little screamer, Justin!
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

So I finally got to some work that needed to be done on the Honda...

Firstly I installed the new Charging system. On the poles the bike was running 12.2V then drop off to 11.5V as the Revs increased. So replaced the Stator Battery, R&R and installed a true gel battery (best luck I've had for MC batteries).

Fired the bike up again and noticed right off the bat it was running 10X better. Hook up to the poles and @5K RPM the bike read a healthy 13.5-13.9V.

So I decided to check the plugs and I discovered that they were only hand tight installed!!!!!

So I torqued the plugs down the plugs and restarted... The 90' Twin fired right up without choke and ran fine (was exceptionally cold blooded said the PO) and was before the plug tighten... I'm sure the bike will run even better now since the last go.

So the PO told me the rim was leaky and he was going to install a tube for the tire was still good (in his mind clearly not the issue)... Well guess what I found the puncture where the slow leak was coming from... Guessing the IRC wasn't up to the task for the date code read the 7th week of... 1993!!!!!

And clearly that tire was worth keeping ...

New Pirelli Sport Demon installed!

So FYI this inboard brake is a total PITA... I now know why it only lasted a couple of year... SO I swapped the pads for they were a little lower then I'd like.

New Pads finally installed!!!

And then the cluster F&^* to get the whole assembly back together... Now I know why the tire stayed on for so long... Man no fun.

So the bike is back to good running condition. Critical items were addressed. I'm going to replace the rear tire soon with a Sport Demon as well but all in all the rest of the bike is really good shape. I have some Decals coming in so it's properly badged.

Going to be a fun little bike!!! Very easy to work on (minus that inboard brake but that should be easier for me next time).
      Jedz Moto
      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
      1988 Honda GL1500-6
      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Nice work Jedz!

I was thinking about replacing my R/R but it there are no current charging problems so I leave it as is. In your case, you discovered some minor/essential fixes. Good on you!

Ed
        GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

You really should mount the regulator more permenently it helps with heat disappation
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
            You really should mount the regulator more permenently it helps with heat disappation
            I intend to Jim, I got rained out Sunday and it was a get it on and roll back into the mudroom situation. I plan on permanently installing once we get some more dry weather... Bit stuffy in the Mudroom with the GS650 in there too...
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
            X