Forks jump when braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forks jump when braking

I have cleaned the rotors ( both front ones ) with brake cleaner spray and new paper towels, spun the wheel off the ground and observed each rotor and not a wobble to be seen, pads are new. When I brake it feels like a warped rotor on a car feels but i can see the fork lowers slightly jumping up and down as I brake. Never have had this before so I am at a loss. Any pointers???

I was thinking maybe bearings but then why would wheel bearings make the lowers twitch and there isnt any signs of bearing wear or slop when i spin and twist on the rim???
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Any pitting in the fork tubes? Maybe too much compressed air? When was the last time you changed the fork oil?

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Loose steering head bearings?

Comment

My dads 850L did this and it was the caliper axle/ bolts were stuck with old grease and wouldn't move, I took them out cleaned the 30 year old grease and it fixed the wobble. That would explain the braking and no wobble visually when rim is spun

Comment

New seals and new oil. No pitting in the tubes. Bike is an 81 750L and I did notice the calipers do move on the pins when i squeeze the lever. Rebuild kit in the master and its the round resivoir style master cylinder.

I will reinspect the carriers for sure. I can litteraly look down and watch the lowers go up and down on the tubes..much like its a jack hammering action going on down there. harder i squeeze the lever the more pronounced it becomes too.
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Chuck, can you lay hands on a clamp on dial guage? {magnetic won't do you any good}
            Or, is there a parts supply place you can borrow one from {advance auto/napa....} It's hard to see a wobble/warp in the rotors....obviously if you actually see it - it's bad!...but it's the stuff you can't easily see that can be a problem too.
            The only way "I" can see the lower fork legs moving on you like that is due to a brake pulse...explains why the harder you grab the brake, the worse it gets.
            I'd suggest putting the bike on the center stand and try moving the front wheel side to side {one hand on top of the wheel and the other on the bottom}....looking for bearing slop. If the bearings are bad that could cause the brakes to grab unevenly...had a bad set on my FJ1100...couldn't feel it in the brakes, but I could feel it at low speed and by using my hands {side to side}.

Comment

I warped 3 sets on my EZ. When my brake lever started pulsating I never thought past the rotors being warped. Thats what it always was.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Set up an indicator and measure the runout on the wheels and rotors. I bet they're warped. If not, it's wheel bearings.

Comment

I will, see if i can get hold of an indicator.

Comment

chuck, harbor fright has a passable clamp on one for like 15 dollars or something.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I've use HF jack stands and HF magnetic dial indicator to measure wheel runout, so I doubt much harder to do rotors

Comment

Maybe it's from the suspension? I just learned that a bottomed out fork will bounce when braking. Some out-loud thinking: Check that your fork legs are parallel, wheel is square with forks, and check your fork oil levels and preload shims for consistency....

But wait for confirmation from others before doing any of the above since I'm just learning this myself.

Comment

The HF indicator is awesome. It's probably my favorite all-time purchase from there. If I was doing it again I'd get the one with the flexible clamp, assuming it's the same indicator. The magnetic stand is crap.

Comment

UPDATE: Had time to actually put MY bike on the rack for a change and see whats going on.

Calipers move freely on the carriers and I did remember to grease them.
                            New seal in correctly and the pistons move and relax as they should.
                            Return port on the master is clear.
                            Rotors are not warped in the slightest.

Only thing I found was the wheel bearing felt just a tad notchy ( just enough to actually feel it ) when my pinkey finger rolled them round. Next I stuck the axle in and moved up and down and could actually visually observe movement of the inner race in relation to the rubber dust seals.

So, My conclusion is that when i apply the brake the jitterings because of wheel bearing headed south. Sound about right???

Comment

So the fiches show the bearings at 16 and change each. I copied and pasted the size description and these are on Ebay. I can get both for the fiches price of one. These are the corr3ct ones right???

Parts fiche description

15X42X13 BEA
                              08123-63027

Comment

Working...
                              X