Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs1100es

Hi all,

Been working on my GS of over 27 years. Might be needing some tips as it gets closer to done, so I thought I'd best join a forum.

Looked like this in 2008...
    1983 Suzuki GS1100EF.jpg

Then in 2009 it was torn down and a few mods were made to the frame...
    Painted Roller.jpg

Comment

Today it looks like this...
      Suzuki 2.jpg

However, after completing the body work in black I've decided to strip it back down to bare metal and do the frame in black as well.

Comment

Welcome to the site.
        Quite a few members here with time spent at the strip.
        How about some details on the engine.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
          Welcome to the site.
          Quite a few members here with time spent at the strip.
          How about some details on the engine.
          Thank you Sir!

The engine is basically a pump gas version of a mild drag engine. The mods include:

The original cases bored by APE
          A rebuilt and welded crankshaft (small end) with straight cut gear
          APE SSR1323 engine kit
          MRE undercut transmission
          APE billet clutch basket
          750 plain bearing oil pump gears
          APE stud kit
          KB top end oiling kit
          APE cam chain tensioner
          Cylinder head porting (by owner)
          28.5mm int and 24mm ex valves
          Lengthened rocker arms
          APE valve job
          Lockhart oil cooler
          38mm RS flatslides
          Dyna ignition
          VH pipe
          PMFR 5/8” offset bearing support

It was built as a bar & coffee shop hopper with a touch of attitude. I might take it down the strip one day just to get a time slip, but I specifically left the wheelie bar mounts off to ward off temptation. Been there, done that, not enough spare time to take up that addiction again and if I did it would be with a newer platform.

I was about to call it done, but my wife pointed out that the frame would look better black, so I'm tearing it down again to change the color and make a few changes to things that annoyed me when I put it together last time. Still pondering the seat as well.

Letters 106.jpg

Comment

Ewwwwww, stretched GS!

To be honest...this is the first stretched GS I've seen. Looks odd but then again...it's elongated.

Not sure how it will ride unless you are using it to drag race. I've only ever read negative feedback about stretched bikes from another forum so excuse my comments.

Lots of modifications so I can't knock the ideas rolling around in your head. I agree with your wife...the Canary Yellow doesn't boast well. It's a mean looking machine with what looks like a Gixxer front end and rear wheel.

Moar pics please...as you continue your changes.

Ed
            Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-21-2017, 08:27 PM.
            GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              Ewwwwww, stretched GS!

To be honest...this is the first stretched GS I've seen. Looks odd but then again...it's elongated.

Not sure how it will ride unless you are using it to drag race. I've only ever read negative feedback about stretched bikes from another forum so excuse my comments.

Lots of modifications so I can't knock the ideas rolling around in your head. I agree with your wife...the Canary Yellow doesn't boast well. It's a mean looking machine with what looks like a Gixxer front end and rear wheel.

Moar pics please...as you continue your changes.

Ed
              I have no delusions about what an 8 extra inches on a solid rear axle and a 36 degree does for handling LOL! Straight line bursts and parking lot burnouts are the only things the mods will enhance.

Front is off a 2004 GSXR 1000 with the stiffest springs Progressive sells. The wheels are also 2003/2004 GSRX 1000. Bad choice to go with the 6" rear. I've had to notch the frame to clear the chain, cut and shim the swing-arm and add another 1/8" to the offset sprocket. Even with all this the centerline of the rear wheel is .125" to the right of the front wheel. I wish I'd have gone with the 5.5" rim, but I do like the look of the 200 rear tire.

Comment

Doesn't say what cams but should EASILY be 150-160 @ the rear wheel. Nice!!
                Ray.

Comment

I used to do some business with a place called "The Frame Shop in Stanton, CA. He had several old drag bikes. Some were stretched stock frames. Some had Cosman frames. A few guys were buying them to turn them into "bar bikes". One guy I spoke to said he had a 10 second Harley, but they were getting common and he wanted to do something else.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Doesn't say what cams
                    I believe they are the WGS348 Webb cams. I set them both at 110 degrees.

Comment

Blasted and coated in 6 hours. Starting to bolt parts back on.

USA Phone 038.jpg

Comment

One photo per post?USA Phone 044.jpg

Comment

Here she is waiting for the engine (it's in now). I can't believe how heavy the motor is fully assembled! I seem to recall R & R ing these by myself back in the day, either I was removing the top ends, or I was stronger than I remember being.

The color is called "Wet Black" and it's well named. Shows everything, I would go with something a little less glossy next time.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Replaced the stock springs with the stiffest that they offer. I was told they could support a Goldwing.

USA Phone 055.jpg

Comment

Yup, the black was a good choice.
                              Sometimes wives get it right. haha.
                              Last edited by steve murdoch; 05-06-2017, 09:22 PM.
                              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                              X