Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS450 new noise Cam chain/tensionser or other issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450 new noise Cam chain/tensionser or other issue?

Recently did the valve clearance on my bike (second time since I bought it), everything was around the .05-.07 range after shims changed... well within spec. Double and triple checked. Enter bike week...rode about 1000 miles this week and in the course, new sounds appeared. The best I can describe it is a tin-pan rattle from the top end. I am used the the sewing machine "ticks" and exhaust "pings" ( not pre-ignition type ) that are supposed to be there from a well tuned bike, but the tin-pan sound concerned me. Happens at 4k and above rpm, sound is noticeable above that range. I am thinking its the cam chain tensioner. Compression good, fuel economy good, oil looks good, no loss of power/speed, idle good. Any other thoughts? I just don't want to open her up again for no reason, I just cleaned my garage floor and driveway......

Thanks,
    Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2017, 03:07 AM.

Are you sure it's coming from the engine? I had a worrysome noise a few years ago that I couldn't figure out and it turns out it was the heat shields on the exhaust - one was a little loose.
    1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
    1977 GS550
    1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
      Are you sure it's coming from the engine? I had a worrysome noise a few years ago that I couldn't figure out and it turns out it was the heat shields on the exhaust - one was a little loose.
      they are tight

Comment

Worth a shot
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Make sure the camchain tensioner is working correctly- maybe you got some excessive chain slack. It's hard to check without removing valve cover.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Did you ever turn the crankshaft backwards - CCW - when you were working on it? I'm not sure exactly what happens when you do, having always avoided it, but it may be possible that the front chain guide popped up and isn't back in its little well. Or the CCT didn't like it.

Just speculating, but interested because I'm doing shims today myself on a 450. The cool thing is that all the shims are 2.60s; the bad news is that I now need four 2.55s and only have one.

The other thought is that something ended up in different place when you put the tank back on and it's rattling against it.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
              Did you ever turn the crankshaft backwards - CCW - when you were working on it? I'm not sure exactly what happens when you do, having always avoided it, but it may be possible that the front chain guide popped up and isn't back in its little well. Or the CCT didn't like it.

Just speculating, but interested because I'm doing shims today myself on a 450. The cool thing is that all the shims are 2.60s; the bad news is that I now need four 2.55s and only have one.

The other thought is that something ended up in different place when you put the tank back on and it's rattling against it.
              "thou shalt not turn crank backwards" ... nope never did. driving me nuts...gonna wind up opening her up this weekend.

sound appears around 4500, not at idle.

Comment

Ok, took off the valve cover, slight chain contact on the ends outside the black guide on the cover.... verdict, new gasket and tighten down right. No other apparent wearing in the top end. That part is done.

Intake valves at .05 exhaust at .07-.08

Took off tensioner... made sure all was "OK" put back together and installed, no issue. - bikecliff style before you say anything.

Tach cable was loose on the head, tightened.

Compression is great, both between 140-145... analog gauge.

exhaust is tight no apparent leaks

all bolts tight

pilots - L 2.5 R 2.75 - synced/tuned - found I can adjust them evenly up to about 3.5 on the right and 3.25 on left and keep them really close.

results... new sound now.... at 4k rpm I get a sound but only while loaded, if I pull in the clutch the sound goes away regardless of RPM. Sound still seems to be coming from the top end... can't explain it... still no loss of power or effect on bike performance, main "tin pan" sound gone, this is just a new one... more of a rattle type, does not sound like metal scraping. Adjusted clutch, no shifting issues, took an oil sample, seems free and clear. I am chalking this one up as a "GS sound" and I guess I am going to have to get used to it. More annoyance.... other note... the sound may have always been there... I think I may have honed in on it since I did a valve job an got everything back in spec... so now I have this noise.. sewing machine noise is much better lol.

I will say... mechanically, other than the sound, the bike is running fantastic.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2017, 08:13 PM.

Comment

On my 77 GS400 the inner exhaust pipe came adrift from the outer pipe and only rattled at certain RPM. I'm having the same issue with muffler guts rattling lose in my 83 GS450.

Comment

Originally posted by smilinbrad View Post
                    On my 77 GS400 the inner exhaust pipe came adrift from the outer pipe and only rattled at certain RPM. I'm having the same issue with muffler guts rattling lose in my 83 GS450.
                    thanks...I will check that...did the sound come from the top end area or the exhaust?

Comment

On the 77 it was lose near the muffler joint. Sounded like the clutch was rattling apart
                      On the 83 I knew right away it was exhaust oriented from previous experience.

Comment

Originally posted by smilinbrad View Post
                        On the 77 it was lose near the muffler joint. Sounded like the clutch was rattling apart
                        On the 83 I knew right away it was exhaust oriented from previous experience.
                        everything tight.. same noise, no effect on performance. nothing rubbing still sounds like its coming from top end..... I dunno... just gonna chalk it up to "GS noise"... at least until I notice actual issues besides noise.

The ping sound I am getting is just like a really good exhaust ping... like from a high compression harley or a 2 stroke.
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

pulled off the cam tensioner again.... seems to be stuck. Quick rebuild and its moving again.... hopefully this is the issue, it had a "sticky spot" that I took care of.... started her up and no noise... will have to wait to get her loaded and at speed.

edit: still have noise...grrrrrr. guess its just "GS noise"
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2017, 07:36 PM.

Comment

You mentioned earlier that the sound went away when you pulled in the clutch. Could the nut that holds the clutch on be loose? Usually that's problem only on the big motors, but maybe somebody had it apart and didn't get it done up or there's too much endplay.

Might be able to lever it about through the oil filler. ??
                            '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                              You mentioned earlier that the sound went away when you pulled in the clutch. Could the nut that holds the clutch on be loose? Usually that's problem only on the big motors, but maybe somebody had it apart and didn't get it done up or there's too much endplay.

Might be able to lever it about through the oil filler. ??
                              I was wrong, the sound does not go away with the clutch...... I don't think it's a spun bearing or piston slap...the sound just is not right for it. The sound is coming from the top end not the crank area, only gets noticeable after warming up for a few minutes... won't do it at idle or cold... and can't hear it when I am sitting still and rev it up to 4500-6000..... I beginning to wonder if it is coming from the transmission area and resonating up.

No shifting issues, no power loss.... I am at a loss. Don't have my buddy around to help diagnose.. last time he said " it just makes that sound that is all " .... but he was 3 sheets to the wind... ugh..

I am also pretty sure it is not valve lash... Nothing less than .05 clearance.

timing is spot on.... I am at a loss and I am just guessing at this point. I really don't want to pull the engine and go over every inch.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2017, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X