Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS450 new noise Cam chain/tensionser or other issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 80 and maybe 81 had a one piece push rod but the 82 and on were two piece, so you could replace just the outer section if it had an argument with something. I think there was a ball in between the two. ?? The only picture I have handy is of the one piece one. As far as I know, you can replace with a two piece, which is less problematic and I think maybe less prone to leakage as well.

It might even update to a GS500 part which would be easy to source.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
      The 80 and maybe 81 had a one piece push rod but the 82 and on were two piece, so you could replace just the outer section if it had an argument with something. I think there was a ball in between the two. ?? The only picture I have handy is of the one piece one. As far as I know, you can replace with a two piece, which is less problematic and I think maybe less prone to leakage as well.
      yes, I have an 81 450EX, one piece, you can only order a two piece for replacement now, still not that expensive. I don't think the push rod is my issue, but since I found it a little bent, OCD will kick in. Order a push rod, gaskets and call it a fun Saturday.

Comment

Found out my analog compression tester needed a bit of calibration. What I get for loaning it out. Digital calibrated compression test was L 127.8 , R 129.1. Not bad for 36+ years and 27k on the engine. gaskets ordered...next friday will be fun... praying for a loose nut.

Comment

Guess what I am doing for fun this weekend... Noise... I will find you. Guess I will do the covers and finish the socket cap change out while I am at it, good time to check tolerance on the clutch as well.. give her the covers off once-over.

Comment

Lessons learned so far....and me with all my experience falling for this

1. Don't trust others gauges.... or your gauges after loaning them to someone.

- My compression gauge was way off, now properly calibrated - had to get a buddy with an electronic gauge to check my cylinder pressure - was not a problem or source of noise
            - Friend of mine... student at WyoTech... used his vacuum gauges to set my carbs... smh... "ya they are calibrated" Again, had to use same buddy with digital vacuum gauges to set my carbs....
            and when I say calibrated... I don't mean the initial on a cylinder...this thing was so out of whack...I think a spring was toast on one of his gauges. It is nice to know they are pinpoint duplicates of each other now.

2. Have a friend that has all the tools and time to help you - a case of beer and a steak that gets you 30+ years of motorcycle mechanic experience is PRICELESS!!!

3. It never is just "1 thing wrong"...

This was and is a culmination of issues...starting from the day I got the bike. 1 - cylinder missing - was spark plug , 2 - vacuum leak - intake boots and vacuum line to petcock, 3 - carbs keep clogging/bad throttle response/flat spot - had to clean them 3 times.. ultimately it was the disintegration of the petcock sending material in the bowl... caught by the screen. Other issues not found due to gauges not being in tolerance and giving bad readings......

Current status after "tuning" my carbs again today - forgot who said resonant noise to gear box from badly tuned carbs. Mine were not far off, but enough to cause noise... was not the total cure to the noise but added to the problem.

still taking covers off, still have a small rattle bugging me .... and a stripped bolt that has been annoying me for a couple months, hopefully something simple.
            cleaning oil pan screen
            brushed look on covers and forks - sand/stroke/clearcoat.... I will probably wait on the clear coat.. want to make sure I like the brushed look.
            Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2017, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Found the source.... loose clutch basket nut and spring. Was able to spin off the nut with my fingers once I bent the keeper down. Properly torqued now. On another note... One of my spark plugs was broken... went to Autozone to get a couple of new ones.. both of the first two he brought out were cracked and broken on the ceramic... Had to open a new case to get a pair that wasn't. NGK B8ES . Bike is nice and quiet.. well.... as quiet as a sewing machine on steroids can be..

Video of loose nut

Comment

Working...
              X