3.00 - 18 and 3.50 - 18 tubed tires... suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.00 - 18 and 3.50 - 18 tubed tires... suggestions

So far I have found the following for 3.00 x 18 and 3.50 x 18 for my 81 GS450EX

Make/model - pro/con - online price

Shinko 712 - mixed reviews - not for tubed rims says can be used on tube rims with tubes ( $45-100ea / $100-200pr ) - recommended

IRC GS11 - everyone says all around good tire ( $45-90ea / $105-$200pr ) - recommended and what is currently on the bike.

Duro HF314 - everyone says crap tires...even the guys that sell them ( $30-90ea / $80-200pr )

I'm not looking to set the world on fire with tires nor break my bank. Mainly..I need a new rear tire. side wall is showing cracks. Bike use is mainly riding to and from work and weekend trips...touring. Functionality and performance over appearance.

Suggestions and where to buy, anyone using the shinko's and how are they doing on the tube rim?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-22-2017, 12:03 AM.

I've used all those except the Shinko only on the rear, and agree that the Duro is pretty crude. The IRC is okay except that the front tread depth is pretty skimpy, as if they want you to replace it when the rear wears out. It's like a brand new OEM tire from a 70's Honda. The rear wears out fast, as in 3K miles, which makes the low price not so low in the long run.

I've gone through the usual suspects including the Avons that everyone raves about, and on a light bike the Avon casing just doesn't dance. Besides, it's a 90/90 which isn't really the right size for a 1.60 rim.

I discovered the Pirelli RT66 3.00 18 last year by accident and it's what I knew I'd been missing. It has a wavy center rib pattern that doesn't follow grooves and a diagonal 'modern' side that doesn't squirm around when you get 'involved'. Not super sticky rubber, but good enough for street riding. It's made in Brazil, but hey, they have rubber trees there….

If I couldn't get another one of these, I'd go Shinko, which is way cheaper, but they're just 'nothing wrong' tires. I used to use Pirellis back when, and now I remember why. Supply may be patchy, and the price seems high for what it looks like, but it's the best match to the bike I've had yet. It's nice to have a front tire that you really like rather than something you just tolerate.

I'm ordering a Shinko for my next rear and keeping my eyes out for a deal on a spare RT66 front. Strangely, Pirelli doesn't have a 3.50 18 rear to match, but if they did it would look pretty much like a Shinko 712 anyway. I think they do have one for Europe, but nobody here brings it in.
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
      I've used all those except the Shinko only on the rear, and agree that the Duro is pretty crude. The IRC is okay except that the front tread depth is pretty skimpy, as if they want you to replace it when the rear wears out. It's like a brand new OEM tire from a 70's Honda. The rear wears out fast, as in 3K miles, which makes the low price not so low in the long run.

I've gone through the usual suspects including the Avons that everyone raves about, and on a light bike the Avon casing just doesn't dance. Besides, it's a 90/90 which isn't really the right size for a 1.60 rim.

I discovered the Pirelli RT66 3.00 18 last year by accident and it's what I knew I'd been missing. It has a wavy center rib pattern that doesn't follow grooves and a diagonal 'modern' side that doesn't squirm around when you get 'involved'. Not super sticky rubber, but good enough for street riding. It's made in Brazil, but hey, they have rubber trees there….

If I couldn't get another one of these, I'd go Shinko, which is way cheaper, but they're just 'nothing wrong' tires. I used to use Pirellis back when, and now I remember why. Supply may be patchy, and the price seems high for what it looks like, but it's the best match to the bike I've had yet. It's nice to have a front tire that you really like rather than something you just tolerate.

I'm ordering a Shinko for my next rear and keeping my eyes out for a deal on a spare RT66 front. Strangely, Pirelli doesn't have a 3.50 18 rear to match, but if they did it would look pretty much like a Shinko 712 anyway. I think they do have one for Europe, but nobody here brings it in.
      I am going to try the Shinko 712 set and see how they hold up. less than $100 for the set delivered, not bad. Since they are tubeless going on a tubed, I am going to go ahead and pay a local shop to mount and computer balance for $40 for the set. Meh... $140 for tires mount and balance isn't all that bad.

edit: forgot about getting new tubes too, lol. another $30-50

Comment

I have the Kenda Cruise on my 450 (used the old tubes and caught grief from my tire guy). They are the right sizes and are holding up well. About 6,000 miles now with many more left on them. (Selling it this week)
        I have the IRC's on my 425. Correct sizes with new tubes, the front didn't need weights to balance. They are a match to the Mag Mopus original tires that were still on it when I bought it last year. They seem lightly constructed compared to the Kendas.

Comment

Jake Wilson website, got the set of 712's, two tubes and liner for $110 delivered. Local shop wanted $170 for the same items. Can't complain... I will mount myself and take out to get computer balanced for a few bucks at tire.

Comment

Good info, I may build a budget GS400/425 449cc in the future, & will definitely be thanking you guys for this info if I use the stock rim widths. Wish I saw this 3 months ago when recommending tires to a friend for a CB200!!!
            '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
            '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
            '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
            '77 GS550 740cc major mods
            '77 GS400 489cc racer build
            '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
            X