Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear spring rates, and whats correct for my fat belly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear spring rates, and whats correct for my fat belly?

It occurred to me earlier that i can change the springs on my rfy coil over rear shocks. Is there a calculation i can do or a calculator online to find the proper spring rates fpr the rear shocks? Only really finding ones for the front..
    I build Pipers

Which shocks? Shock springs are pretty specific to the shocks they're made for, so they're not something you can normally upgrade on their own.

Plus, if you're talking about upgrading the stock screen door dampers, don't bother.

The entry level is usually Progressive or Hagon shocks, and these can be ordered with various springs. For Hagon, you call up Dave Quinn, have a forthright conversation about your weight, loads and riding style, and he assembles shocks with the appropriate springs and shock bodies.

My GS850 is wearing Progressive 12 series shocks. For these, you order the shock bodies and the springs separately. There's a "standard" and a "heavy-duty" spring recommendation. I started with the heavy-duty springs, but they still weren't quite right. I did a little parts catalog pokery and learned that even stronger springs were available from Progressive -- I ended up ordering 120/170 springs meant for the vast rear end of a Kawasaki Voyager, and I've been quite happy with this combination.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

If you go to Z1Enterprises.com and look at shocks for your bike, they have a bit of a guide to get you in the ballpark for spring rate. I don't know if I would blindly trust it but it should get you close.

Comment

Working...
      X