CV carbs vs other carbs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV carbs vs other carbs...

Hello all. In my dealings with the carbs on my '81 GS850G, I have learned that it has CV carbs - and that they are apparently fundamentally different from "other" carbs. I'm pretty sure that "CV" stands for Constant Velocity, but I don't really understand what makes them different. Is there a thread or a tutorial anywhere on TGSR that explains them? I'd really like to know what I have here.....

Scott

Google cv carbs and you'll be overwhelmed.. Here's a link to a bmw cv carb with simple explanation. The mikuni is similar in basic operation

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

CVs arent mechanically linked like VMs are. My 81 750 has CVs and I find them rather twitchy as compared to the VMs when appliing vry minute throttle grip twist. CVs seem kinda grabby to me.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

The whole concept of "constant velocity" is based on a "variable venturi", which is provided by the slides. At low throttle openings, there would not be enough velocity past the jets to do a proper job of atomizing the fuel. Lowering the slides reduces the opening, which increases the velocity. In a venturi, there is an inherent pressure drop that goes with the velocity increase. The hole in the bottom of the slide goes to the chamber above the diaphragm. When the air flow increases, so does the pressure drop in the venturi. That lowers the pressure above the diaphragm to the point that the slides are lifted, allowing more air flow. The change in venturi size keeps a relatively constant velocity across the jets, making for better fuel mixing. This also has an added advantage for altitude compensation, as the jetting requirements don't change much, if any, as you go up in altitude. Throttle resonse remains crisp coming off-idle, even though the carbs seem to be way oversized, compared to the VM series slide carbs.

One disadvantage that I can see with CV-type carbs is in racing. Any time you close the throttle to shift, air flow through the carbs will drop, likely to the point that the slides will drop. When you open the throttle after the shift, it will take some time to get the slides back up. Might be just a small fraction of a second, but do that a few dozen times per lap, you could easily lose a few seconds per lap. On the street, that is not as much of a concern, and the better driveability easily offsets that, so my choice would be slide (mechanical) carbs for the track and CV carbs for the street.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

IN a nutshell, CVs compensate for elevation changes, and helped when getting carbureted bikes through the EPA was a problem. The Other carbs do no elevation compensation at all, but they are easier to tune and have much quicker throttle response. Most riders prefer them, except the guys like me who ride up and down huge elevation changes every day. I have all of my bikes switched over to CVs, they run great from sea level to 14,000'.
          Last edited by tkent02; 03-24-2017, 11:51 AM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My Suzukis with CV carbs have a significantly easier throttle pull than my CV equipped bikes. I like that, and I also like the tendency for CVs to correct for elevation changes.

All my riding life, I've been predisposed not to like CVs. I was used to Amal and Mikuni slide carbs, and the extra complication and unfamiliarity made me not like them. In practice, on a touring bike, I now prefer them. Of course, because my touring bikes use them, I now am predisposed to want stock exhaust and intake on my old touring bikes.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Thanks to everyone. I knew I could count on y'all to set me straight. At the suggestion of Tom203, I did Google CV carburetor theory and found a ton of returns, but this Youtube video makes it really clear. After the reading I've been doing in the carb rebuilding tutorials, I was familiar with all the terminology in this video, which clarified them all. Here's a link if y'all are interested...

And Steve - so the term Constant Velocity was adopted because the design maintains a (relatively) constant velocity of air past the jets. I learned something today; how cool is that?

How a cv carburetor works. Sound of a YAMAHA XTZ750 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
              X