No announcement yet.

Rim size recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norm, I had no idea you were looking into tubeless, and at the same time as me at that!

I saw some real nice Out*Ex brand kits from Japan for my DID rims, but wow were they pricey at $130.
    I ended up buying 2 different width 15 foot rolls of 3M 4412N Extreme sealing tape, & I read their instructions for it and they recommended using their proprietary 3M adhesion promoter surface primer solution on it, so I decided to try that as well, although cleaning it with acetone would probably have done just as well.

I also went with a NAPA tubeless motorcycle valve stems that directly fit valve stem holes for motorcycle inner tubes, as many tubeless valve stems are larger diameter & far more expensive than a few dollars each.

I was considering taking a two liter soda pop bottle and cutting out 36 small plastic domes to place over the spoke nipples so that I can still tighten them without disturbing the tape. The Outex kit includes some type of stick-on piece onto the tops of the spoke nipples to accomplish the same thing.

The weight savings is definitely nice, but the big advantage for me is that not only is it easier to plug a tire than it is to remove a wheel and inner tube to patch, but all of my aftermarket aluminum rims are safety bead type that are tubeless approved (there are lots and lots of words of caution all over the Internet to not try tubeless on a rim that does not have safety beads). Even if I did try to remove the tube to patch it on the side of the road with tire lever spoons, it would be darn near impossible to break the bead on a safety bead rim without having a bead breaker or shop setup.

I'm not certain if it will work with my Sun Rims, as they are not dimpled rims, so the spoke nipple protrudes substantially up into the center well. My DID rims will definitely take this mod well though, but the only problem I have heard of is on some rims that did not have the welded seam finished off very smoothly. I read several accounts where people could not get it to hold air and it would always leak at the welded seam, because the weld was ground off unevenly.

I have read many accounts of people saying that at least for the Outex kit's tape, it is very necessary to file all of the spoke nipple heads down smooth so that they do not protrude too terribly far, or else the tape will pucker up and will not seal properly. This is why I didn't think that would work on my Sun rims which I generally would like to keep on my primary bike the 77 gs750.

I'm not sure how well this 3M tape will conform to spoke nipple protrusions, so if you do your sooner than mine, please let me know how it works! I can't recall how far the dimples are on the dimpled Excel rims, but I'm sure you will have a much easier time on those than my Sun rims.
    Last edited by Chuck78; 05-01-2017, 05:13 PM.
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Also, if you decide to do the method with the tape overlapping at to the end, you should start at the top of the rim as it would be mounted on the bike and work your way backwards and down and then up the front, so that the tape will not try to unroll itself from the motion of the wheel spinning. If you watch the Outex install video, they do a non overlap method with the ends of the tape cut at an angle that would be a perpendicular line between the two adjacent spokes to the seam. And then they they put a second layer of tape sideways across that.

From the 3M 4412N datasheet, I even went as far as, not only getting the surface adhesion promoter primer liquid, but also read that there is a 3M adhesive recommended for seams and tight and awkward bends in the tape to make it adhere and seal better.

I also was going to go the route that many dual sporters go, and use 3M Marine sealant ( I saw it at Home Depot I believe, maybe Lowes). I have read of many people just sealing the spoke nipples with that caulking, and bolting in a tubeless valve stem and going with it, but I will probably use that 3M marine sealant to seal the beverage bottle plastic dome caps over the spoke nipples, and then use the 3M 4412N extreme sealing tape
      Last edited by Chuck78; 05-01-2017, 05:17 PM.
      '79 GS425stock
      PROJECTS:
      '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I'm going to see if my local NAPA has the right valve stem and I'll pick up some acetone. If I feel energetic tonight I'll tape it up and mount the tire. I think it will work just fine. 👍
        My Motorcycles:
        22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
        22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
        82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
        81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
        79 1000e (all original)
        82 850g (all original)
        80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

This is the one. Old photo, I think the part number is similar but longer now (on napaonline.com)
          Attached Files
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

I taped up my spokes. I used 3M 4412n extreme sealing tape. This stuff is amazing! It's like a gooey, thick, very sticky tape with a peel away backing. You just squish the tape into valley of the rim and work it around the spoke nipple. (I should have taken pictures but I never think about it) Then I mounted the tires, taking care not to scratch anything. The rear tire took a little fidgeting to get it to take air, but once it did it slid on the bead with ease. I washed the wheels with soapy water, looking for bubbles. No bubbles NO LEAKS. I have them aired up to 41 psi I'll keep a eye on them.👍
            Attached Files
            My Motorcycles:
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)

Comment

I finally got my motorcycle on the road today with its new wheels. I just wanted to thank a few people that gave me advice and helped me along the way.Chuck78, Sharpy and others who have chimed in. Oh, and remind me to put Witttom on my ignore list! He's the one that started me thinking about doing this wheel conversion. And offering the wheel hubs for sale. I'm pretty happy with the they came out. I think the drilled rotors add a little extra. When I'm not riding I'll be cleaning spokes☺
              Attached Files
              Last edited by storm 64; 05-24-2017, 06:11 AM.
              My Motorcycles:
              79 1000e (all original)
              82 850g (all original)

Comment

Lookin' sharp, Norm!!!
                '79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Working...
                X