Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery washer in my sump!

WP_20170325_001.jpg

Dear all, I recently decided that it was time to take my GS1100GL's engine out and give it a little love. I have just taken the oil sump panel off and discovered a loose washer sitting inside it ��.
    It's 1 inch in diameter and pretty thin and appears to be of high grade. The engine has been running well for the 6 or so years that I've owned her so I doubt that it has become detached. I suspect a mechanic in previous years must have dropped it in the engine and hoped that it would safely make its way down to the sump.
    I would like to know where it came from in the first place. Hopefully the mechanic replaced it with another washer.
    Can any of you tell me where in a GS engine it would come from?
    Many thanks in advance.
    Argee
    Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Looks like a shim from the starter mechanism, the idler gear shaft.
    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

Originally posted by uk gs nut View Post
      Looks like a shim from the starter mechanism, the idler gear shaft.
      Yep........ They come as a pair

Comment

One more vote for the starter idler gear.

Relatively easy to check, but requires a gasket. Pull the stator cover off the left side of the engine, you will see the starter gears. The idler gear rides on a shaft that is supported by the engine case and the cover. There should be a washer on both sides of the idler. It is very easy to drop one of the washers when you pull the cover, because sometimes the shaft stays with the engine, other times it pulls out with the cover, leaving the inner washer to fall, possibly unnoticed.

When re-assembling, it's a bit fiddly to hold the washer behind the idler while you slide the shaft into place. Then put the outer washer on, the slide the cover over the whole assembly.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm waiting for a gasket set to turn up so I will check it soon! :-)
          Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

My vote is for the starter idler washer as well.
            However don't hold your breath expecting one missing from it's perch.
            Not everyone retrieves them when they fall down and some may have been there from assembly.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I dunno. I'd certainly check for a missing thrust washer on that starter idler -- they're easy to drop into the sump (but easier than you'd expect to retrieve), but that washer doesn't look glossy enough, or hardened... we shall wait in eager anticipation.
              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
              __________________________________________________ ______________________
              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

WP_20170326_002.jpg
                �� Thanks everyone! Steve - thanks for the detailed instructions. As you can see from the photo, there was no shim on the inside of the idler!
                I am very pleased to report that the wayward shim is now back where it should be!
                Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
                X