GS550E firing on 2 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E firing on 2 cylinders

Hey guys, this is my first post on this forum. Just bought a 1980 gs550e a couple weeks ago and am currently in the process of getting it running properly.
    All seems to be well with the bike except when I bought it, it was only running on 3 cylinders (1,3 & 4). In an effort to fix this, I overhauled the carbs in case the jets were plugged up (which needed to be done). Still only ran on 3 cylinders..
    After discovering that cylinder 2's spark plug was acting up, I put a new plug in and checked the other 3. This fixed it and was now running on all 4.

Here's the dilemma, I woke up this morning and first thing, went to start the bike in my garage (like any motorcycle addicted 19yo would..), and now its only running on cylinders 1 & 4...

Am I looking in the wrong places? at this point it must be an electrical issue I'm guessing. But you guys are the experts!

Thanks in advance

If a new plug was a temp fix i would check my plug caps and wires.
    They can leak. Brave souls run their hands along the wires of a runnign vehivle but this mught stop your heart.
    A mist of salty water in absolute darkness reveals leaks as bright arcing
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

All the plugs seem to be getting sufficient spark when I ground them on the engine case and turn the bike over.
      Could it just be a coincidence that cylinders 2 & 3 are both not firing, or a coil issue?

Comment

you can check the primary and secondary resistance of the coils with an ohm meter
        see basscliff site for manual and specs

if the caps or wires are leaking it may be the orientation when in the proper place thats the problem.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Im gonna do that tonight, Ill keep you guys updated.

Comment

Working...
          X