1980 GS850 vin/electrical issue questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850 vin/electrical issue questions

I just bought a 1980 GS850G with a botched wiring harness. Is it worth it buying a new one? How much of a headache is making one? Can i do anything to improve the OEM wiring harness while i have it out? I also need to know the exact model for parts (including the harness) and i am having trouble finding it through the VIN, so if any VIN gurus could help i would be very thankful. The vin is GS850126226. THank you

Welcome.

Not sure if a 'new' harness is available or not, but repairing a harness is not that bad, unless it's REALLY messed up.

How to determine model? Pictures would help, or just give a description of the bike, noting some particular items:
    Front axle: under the forks or in front of them?
    Front fender: paint or chrome?
    Headlight bucket: black or chrome?
    Gauges: one large oval housing or separate round ones?
    Handlebars: modest rise and comfortable or taller, with awkward angles on the grips?
    Fuel tank: Larger, with angles on the top edges or smaller, teardrop-shaped?
    Petcock: Larger, easy to use or smaller, and you need a screwdriver to turn?
    Seat: Large, flat and comfortable or stepped?
    Rear fender: black plastic under a painted tail section or chrome?
    Mufflers: Longer, extending almost to the back edge of the tire or shorter, ending about the axle area?

The first option in all of those items would indicate an 850G, the second option would indicate an 850GL, even though the side covers only say 850L.

Whichever model you have, a good wiring diagram is invaluable. Click HERE for the best one around.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Harnesses surface all the time on ebay... If yours is botched, save yourself work. Here's a typical sample

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Harnesses surface all the time on ebay... If yours is botched, save yourself work. Here's a typical sample

http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-80-81-82-...xYXdGf&vxp=mtr
        Yes, they do surface, but I have a problem with that particular auction.

It says it fits '79-'83 850G, but there were three different harnesses used during those years.
        1. The '79 was one-year-only, as it had points in the ignition.
        2. The '80 and '81 changed for electronic ignition.
        3. The '82 and '83 had an additional plug for the side stand warning light.

There were other small differences in accessory location that might make it difficult from one year to another, like the '83 fusebox and the R/R were different types and in different locations than the '82, which was otherwise similar.

If nothing else, that might be a good harness to use for parts to repair the harness that is in your bike now. Some careful soldering and heat shrinking will keep it looking very stock.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ill grab a picture when i get home. She's got a bigger tank with angles and painted fenders, but has kind of mickey mouse looking gauges and comfortable handlebars with a bigger cruiser style stepped seat that looks like nothing I've seen on others (maybe aftermarket though it does say Suzuki ) and she has vetter bags and fairing. Also when i was going to have the parts store order one they asked about like "t or xy or tj" or whatever models.

Comment

I created my own harness from scratch oem connectors are out there. Oem wire colors are a little harder to find. When I did mine I just took the original harness out and replace one wire at a time exactly the same as the one removed with only a few minor mods. One mod I did was to remove the stator wire running to the handlebar switch. The other was to incorporate the upgrade to the sh775 regulator. (Best mod imho). In most cases I did leave the ends off the wires until I had it installed on the bike so I had the correct length. Its not hard if you decide to tackle the new harness just take your time and label everything.

Comment

I've bought a couple wiring harness off of this list over the years. The OEM manual shows the correct routing for the harness on the frame, which is helpful. Route incorrectly, and it can be too short.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
              X