Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floppy throttle cable on GS850G

Hi all,

The throttle cable where it enters the hand grip is floppy (I can move it around quite a lot), despite the knurled nut being tight. Is it supposed to be? It doesn't seem like it should be, and the two throttle cables on my Honda CB900 Custom are snug (for comparison). It seems to operate the throttle normally though; there is no slack in it. Any input is appreciated - as always.

Scott
    Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2017, 06:12 PM.

The knurled nut might be tight, but how far is the fitting screwed into the housing?

A quick check would be to see how many threads are exposed outside the knurled nut. If you see more than one or two threads, there is room to screw it in some more. It will take some effort, but it might be worth it. Remove the housing from the handlebar, disconnect the electrical connections (which will require access inside the headlight bucket). Loosen the knurled nut, see if you can rotate the housing around the cable fitting to screw the fitting into the housing another turn or three. If you can, do so, then re-tighten the knurled nut.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There were essentially no threads exposed outside, as Steve suggested, so I disassembled the throttle housing to inspect it. I took a few photos of what I saw and will post them here (one per post, as TGSR apparently doesn't allow more than one attachment per post). This first photo is of the actual cable, taken from the backside; it looks fine to me.

DSC_2889_s.jpg

Comment

This next photo is of the cable, from the front side so we can see the threads. Again, it looks fine to me.

DSC_2890_s.jpg

Comment

This photo is of the cable housing, looking out through the hole from the inside. This is what looks a little suspicious to me; the hole is square and if you look closely, you can see that that the edges are a little jagged, and the hole is not perfectly square, as though it may have been cut by hand. Is this what it's supposed to look like?

DSC_2887_s.jpg
          Last edited by Guest; 03-26-2017, 10:50 AM.

Comment

And here is that same square hole, looking inward from the outside. What I'm thinking is that the surface that the round shoulder at the end of the throttle cable is supposed to mate to has either been removed or altered such that the cable can no longer be tightened. Again, the knurled nut was screwed in as far as it would go and the cable is still loose.

DSC_2888_s.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X