Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another issue - one of my nuts is mis-shaped! ;-) (Cylinder stud problems)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another issue - one of my nuts is mis-shaped! ;-) (Cylinder stud problems)

The front left cylinder stud securing nut (closest to the cam-chain) on my GS1100GL has been deformed. A 14mm socket will not grip it, and a 13mm socket is too small.

Do I:

attempt to file the faces of the nut so that I can get the 13mm socket onto it? Or,

use a punch to tap it around to undo it? Or,

try to cut the nut off with a dremmel cutting wheel?

I did wonder about heating it first, but I'm worried that the cylinder head alloy might melt...

Obviously I'll probably need to replace the nut in question, so does anyone know the most cost-effective way to find a replacement? Does it have to be specifically for a GS1100, or would any GS Stud nut do? Does it need to be a Suzuki one - are there generic ones available?

As ever, all advice very gratefully received!
    Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

OMG!

You're deformed with that thread title! Lol

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I thought it might get a laugh!
      Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

If the nut is deformed it may destroy the stud when you spin it off. If possible I'd cut it off.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yeah and one of mine is larger than the other two! LOL
          Ron
          When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
          1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
          1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
          1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
          1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Use a nut extractor. These are special sockets with spiral teeth inside made for addressing this exact situation.

You can order new nuts cheap from your favorite source for Suzuki parts. Or post in "parts wanted" and someone will be able to dig up a few in good shape to send you.

The biggest issue with using hardware store nuts is that they'll be too big -- most US and Euro 10mm nuts use a 17mm hex with 1.5mm thread pitch (even if you get fine thread, they're still usually 17mm hex). Plus, the "acorn" style used at the corners is specific to the GS. 10mm thread nuts on Japanese machinery use 1.25mm thread pitch and 14mm hex.

All in all, it'll be a lot easier to order new nuts from Suzuki or get good used ones.
            Last edited by bwringer; 03-25-2017, 09:22 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Use a nut extractor. These are special sockets with spiral teeth inside made for addressing this exact situation.

You can order new nuts cheap from your favorite source for Suzuki parts. Or post in "parts wanted" and someone will be able to dig up a few in good shape to send you.

The biggest issue with using hardware store nuts is that they'll be too big -- most US and Euro 10mm nuts use a 17mm hex with 1.5mm thread pitch (even if you get fine thread, they're still usually 17mm hex). Plus, the "acorn" style used at the corners is specific to the GS. 10mm thread nuts on Japanese machinery use 1.25mm thread pitch and 14mm hex.

All in all, it'll be a lot easier to order new nuts from Suzuki or get good used ones.
              I order the Irwin extractor sets for my guys at work. Easy to use. use some kroil or pb blaster to make it easier to get off

Comment

Did you try a 6 point socket?
                Alan

sigpic
                Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

You might also try to see if a 9/16", or 5/8" will fit on it
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

5/8 is too big 9/16 may work, as said use a 6 sided socket. I will have a few nuts spare if needed. PM me if you need some.
                    My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

WP_20170326_003.jpgThanks for the suggestions everyone! This morning I popped round to my local motor factors and picked up a 14mm socket that has 6 rounded lumps inside it that grip the faces of the nut rather than the edges, and I have loosened it��.
                      UK GS Nut - Thank you for your very kind offer. I will PM you in a short while.
                      Argee

sigpic

1982 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
                      X