New to the Forum but not new to the GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to the Forum but not new to the GS

Good Day everyone! Alex Here from Mesa AZ. I am Originally from NYC .. a boroughs kid from Brooklyn and Queens. Back in High school I started on a GS 400 and then Graduated to a GS 750. Not being able to afford car insurance I rode that 750 winter spring summer fall. It was about 1978. Man if the cars made tracks in the snow I would be out on that bike riding in the tire track snow piled on either side. I have the most wonderful memories on that bike and traveled miles to visit girlfriends in freezing cold where I would have to stop to warm my hands against the engine and riding in brutal summer heat. I actually met my first wife on that bike. I loved it.

I am a good bit older and far more worn but I just picked up a 1982 GS 750 which aesthetically is in excellent condition but needs a little TLC to get it on the road. I am thrilled to have it and cant wait for me and the wife to start putting miles on it. My old bike was a robust machine that always ran and always started .. I remember more than a few times lying it down in the grass so I could nap and picking it up covered in dew only to start it up and continue my adventure. Awesome to find a forum committed to a wonderful simple machine. I have had probably 10 or more motorcycles over the years as success and money came but none have ever held a spot in my heart like my GS750. Why they ever stopped making STANDARD upright motorcycles is beyond me.

Welcome aboard, Alex.
    Nice intro but it does need a pic or two of your new ride to be complete.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

How did I forget!
      Here she is coming home. The silly luggage rack goes as soon as I get her going.
      gs750v1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Boriqua View Post
        I actually met my first wife on that bike. I loved it.

Kept the bike, got rid of the wife....excellent ( said like Montgomery Burns wringing his hands )

Comment

Nice looking bike with really clean engine :-)

Comment

Welcome. Good luck with the new ride. Sounds like a fun rekindling of old memories.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Nice looking bike. Much later than you but my first bike was the 81 gs750ex.

Comment

Well .. I WENT FOR A RIDE TODAY!!!! Thank you to this forum and all the past posters and the present ones who helped me. I still have some work to do and will continue to value a resource and community like this and hope I can contribute some information as I go.

It was everything I remember about loving that damn bike. Over the years I have had probably 10 or so other motorcycles. From a VTX 1800, 9 foot long monster to a somewhat spindly, very quick steering Triumph Bonneville.

Why they ever stopped making this type of motorcycle is beyond me. I sat upright on my GS, enjoyed the scenery and as I had remembered, its a nice torquey engine that at around 3500 rpm begs you to grab a handful of throttle. I thought I might have been nostalgia but no .. its a pretty peppy fun engine.

Its still a light bike though .. especially compared to the Harley's and vtx that I owned so it still feels playful and FUN but a more stable a platform than my triumph and with more cojones. So glad I bought it, so glad there are other people who enjoy it and contribute to the knowledge base.
                Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X