fuel sensor testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel sensor testing

Sorry Guys not sure if this should go in electrical or fuel so move at will.

I have just picked up a 1982 GS 750E. The seller couldnt get it to start but I got it at what was a fair price to me and took it home. I knew it was a gas issue so started at the top. The gas tank was laden with large flaky rust. The Petcock was shot and the fuel line had trash in it to. I didnt expect the bike to be perfect so not upset. Bought a KBS tank kit and have already gone through the varnish cleaning step and the rust remover step and the inside of the tank already looks new. Tomorrow sealer. I took out the fuel sensor in the process and it was a mess.

Now it looks like the outer casing is a rusty shell but something I can clean with some elbow grease and a wire brush. The sensor part seems to be a brass feeler that runs over a series of brass or copper fins. I know that I am not using the proper terminology but it is what appears to be the actual working part of the sensor and whatever it is made of .. brass or copper .. it seems unscathed and perfectly clean.

All the solder joints seem to be intact and fine. I did a search on ebay and google and as I suspected I cant find a replacement for it. Its a 35 yr old bike. Is there a way for me to use my multimeter to see if this part is still functional? In the end if I have to I will go back to old school and just use my odometer but I dont want to make myself nuts installing the piece if it is non functional. I am not savvy enough to know but it seems an ohms test somehow should tell me if this works and then I will just scrub the rust off. I have posted pix here if they will be of any help offering advice.

Thank you for any help!
    Alex

I forgot you can use google to search within a forum and all the info for anyone else looking for answers on this can be found in this great thread

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

On my bike, the tank sending unit goes from about 1 ohm (full) to 120 ohms when empty - I'd guess yours should be similar. It's an obsolete part 32810-49202

other suzukis probably shared same basic resistance unit, but float arms could be bent differently giving a different pn
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Turns out that with a really good soak in rust blast and some wire brush and toothbrushes I was able to get it to work at least according to my ohms meter. Still a little wonky but working. The end of the rod that held the float had long since seemingly melted away so the float would have to be glued on and the part while very simple is somewhat flimsy so I just decided to forego the sensor and bought a blank of 3"diameter aluminum and will just block the opening. Of all the bikes I have had I think 3 had gas gauges and they were wildly inaccurate so I don't think I will miss it.

I will add again .. the part is a very simple affair so if you must have it and think yours is shot I would suggest a good cleaning being careful not to damage the winding or the wee spring that holds the float arm to the body and you should be able to get it going. There is not much to break.

Comment

Working...
        X