Ride your own ride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride your own ride!

I've heard that there are riders who have crashed, and those that will. I had my first today. I was following a friend and allowed my riding to be influenced. It was 100% reactionary riding, which is 100% how you don't want to be. The attention I spent focused on following my friend was attention that was not spent investigating my surroundings and planning escape routes. One second traffic was going 65mph, the next time I look it's stopped dead, and 2 fingers on the brake lever wasn't enough.

"I guess I'm not gonna make it - I wonder what this is gonna be like..."

Lately I've been noticing that in chaotic situations I somehow tend remain calm. At the moment before I hit, I just kind of relaxed and let nature take its course. I came off the bike over the bars, flipped upside down, and landed against the car on the back of my head and shoulders. I landed, I took a second to confirm I was actually OK, and got up and apologized for causing the accident and damage. The 3 people that stopped to see if I was OK were all freaked out and couldn't believe I wasn't hurt, and that I was so calm. There's not a mark on my leather riding jacket or kevlar padded jeans. My helmet has deep gouges in the back in 2 places. I actually wondered how effective the thin foam in the back of the jacket was, and today I know exactly why it's there.

The damage doesn't look that bad - the forks are bent, obviously some broken plastic, and a few scrapes on the side. The bumper of the car is a little banged up, but the lack of serious damage is what tells me I did slow down quite a bit. But I'm sure it will cost my insurance company the cost of a bumper replacement, and will hit my premium(s).

The bike is financed so it's fully covered, and I haven't spent my recent State return which is just higher than my deductible. It would have been a free tow home, but it was only $50 extra to take it to a reputable shop that I was going to have tune my engine, so that's where I left it. They'll have an estimate on Tuesday.

The big lesson here is not to let anything or anyone influence the way I ride my motorcycle. I am disappointed for making such a rookie mistake, but I am thankful to have learned this lesson at the cost of only my pride and an insurance deductible. I'm also wondering how bad it's gonna hurt in the morning!

I can't wait to have it back, especially with the tune

Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2017, 11:59 PM. Reason: OCD

Not good news, Joe.

Your pics don't show. I copied the URL in the properties and pasted them into a new tab. Still could not see the pics because I was not a registered user of that forum.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Your lucky day!! glad to hear you came aware unscathed. Lessons learned.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Glad to hear you came away unhurt.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

The accident is bad news, me not being injured is miraculous news...
          Hopefully the pics are fixed? I've been struggling with loading images on this site lately.

Comment

..... Bike is replaceable, you are not. Glad you're ok.
            Dubious welcome to the those that have club.
            sigpic
            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
            -Rusty old scooter.
            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Made a similar mistake just two days ago; got myself distracted in very slow rush-hour traffic, full-grab brake wasn't enough to avoid front car.

While the impact didn't damage car nor bike (very slow speed), lost balance and tipped over (impact wasn't straight-on). That took off the stator cover decal and bent the clutch lever slightly. Laughed my ass off.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Life Riding A Motorcycle

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
                I've heard that there are riders who have crashed, and those that will. I had my first today. I was following a friend and allowed my riding to be influenced. It was 100% reactionary riding, which is 100% how you don't want to be. The attention I spent focused on following my friend was attention that was not spent investigating my surroundings and planning escape routes. One second traffic was going 65mph, the next time I look it's stopped dead, and 2 fingers on the brake lever wasn't enough.

"I guess I'm not gonna make it - I wonder what this is gonna be like..."

Lately I've been noticing that in chaotic situations I somehow tend remain calm. At the moment before I hit, I just kind of relaxed and let nature take its course. I came off the bike over the bars, flipped upside down, and landed against the car on the back of my head and shoulders. I landed, I took a second to confirm I was actually OK, and got up and apologized for causing the accident and damage. The 3 people that stopped to see if I was OK were all freaked out and couldn't believe I wasn't hurt, and that I was so calm. There's not a mark on my leather riding jacket or kevlar padded jeans. My helmet has deep gouges in the back in 2 places. I actually wondered how effective the thin foam in the back of the jacket was, and today I know exactly why it's there.

The damage doesn't look that bad - the forks are bent, obviously some broken plastic, and a few scrapes on the side. The bumper of the car is a little banged up, but the lack of serious damage is what tells me I did slow down quite a bit. But I'm sure it will cost my insurance company the cost of a bumper replacement, and will hit my premium(s).

The bike is financed so it's fully covered, and I haven't spent my recent State return which is just higher than my deductible. It would have been a free tow home, but it was only $50 extra to take it to a reputable shop that I was going to have tune my engine, so that's where I left it. They'll have an estimate on Tuesday.

The big lesson here is not to let anything or anyone influence the way I ride my motorcycle. I am disappointed for making such a rookie mistake, but I am thankful to have learned this lesson at the cost of only my pride and an insurance deductible. I'm also wondering how bad it's gonna hurt in the morning!

I can't wait to have it back, especially with the tune

I had an experience where I was anticipating a crash but just in that instance, the course of my travel was not altered. In that situation, I was overtaking traffic to merge to the off ramp--I drifted to the right and that's when it happened. The right Frame Slider bounced my Gixxer off the guard rail and I regained the straight line to the signal on the bridge.

What you describe above (underlined) I felt the same way. I even had enough time to think about where and how I'd land. All I did was ease up on the throttle to slow me down...I wasn't looking at the guard rail but I knew I was gonna hit and let the "outcome" takes its course.

I'm glad you were able to walk away from your accident. Allowing yourself to relax at the moment of impact saved your life! That is not a time ONE wants to become TENSE; parts break easy on impact so being FLIMSY is a plus.

You're OK and no one else suffered any injuries. Vehicle/property/medical is what Insurance is for. I'm glad you walked away without serious physical injury. This is not to say there isn't mental thoughts affected by this accident. For some time after the incident, I often played the scenario in my head and wondered how I was so fortunate. You may do the same or not depending on your coping mechanism.

I couldn't see the pics but take your time uploading. Thanks for sharing your story.

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 03-26-2017, 06:00 PM.
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I had more to say in the other thread where this was mentioned, so I'll comment here on the bit about being calm in chaotic situations.

I once heard that engineers often have a slightly elevated score on the test for the autism spectrum disorder. Being fascinated by this, I Googled up a test. Most of the questions have to do with delayed or disconnected emotional response to stimuli. I did have an elevated score, but only about halfway between average and Asperger. One of these days, I'll look up an ADHD test, but I don't have time for that now.

Ride your own ride. It's easy to say, but it's a difficult skill to master.
                  Dogma
                  --
                  O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                  '80 GS850 GLT
                  '80 GS1000 GT
                  '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Yeah I wonder if ADHD has anything to do with it. A lot of people turn their noses at the diagnosis so I didn't mention it. But I tend to get calm when I'm stimulated. I was talking to a guy about top speeds we've gone, and he was saying how he hit 1xx and his heart was pounding. I was thinking to my self, I hit 1yy and was about as calm as I've ever been, just listening to the bike, wind, feeling the (lack of) vibrations, etc.

I used to teach skiing and have been in some bad ski wrecks. It was the same there, where you're supposed to not resist a crash and stay loose. It's probably saved me more than once. I wasn't really sure if that applied to motorcycle crashes, but I didn't have many choices, so that's what I did.

I'm definitely a little banged up today, but not too bad. I've had a constant headache and feel pretty slow so I probably have a mild concussion. My groin hurts, my wrist hurts, my shin hurts, and that's about it.

Thanks for all the warm wishes. I'm curious to see what it's going to be like getting back on the bike, but I'm definitely looking forward to having it back which is a good sign.

Comment

Yeah I wonder if ADHD has anything to do with it. A lot of people turn their noses at the diagnosis so I didn't mention it. But I tend to get calm when I'm stimulated. I was talking to a guy about top speeds we've gone, and he was saying how he hit 1xx and his heart was pounding. I was thinking to my self, I hit 1yy and was about as calm as I've ever been, just listening to the bike, wind, feeling the (lack of) vibrations, etc.

I used to teach skiing and have been in some bad ski wrecks. It was the same there, where you're supposed to not resist a crash and stay loose. It's probably saved me more than once. I wasn't really sure if that applied to motorcycle crashes, but I didn't have many choices, so that's what I did.

I'm definitely a little banged up today, but not too bad. I've had a constant headache and feel pretty slow so I probably have a mild concussion. My groin hurts, my wrist hurts, my shin hurts, and that's about it.

Thanks for all the warm wishes. I'm curious to see what it's going to be like getting back on the bike, but I'm definitely looking forward to having it back which is a good sign.
                      I would schedule a doctor's visit (soonest) if you didn't get checked out by paramedics for concussion...just to be on the safe side.

The body ailments are all part of the trauma your body absorbed while going Airborne. Do as you see best but try not to overexert yourself.

Ed
                      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Joe ! Joe !

NOt good.
                        But great that you escaped injury.
                        FLying over the bike and back of car was better than smacking into either.

Those gashes in back of helmet would have been serious injurys without helmet.

Keep us updated.

Dave

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I cannot believe people ride without helmets.

Comment

Glad to hear you came through this relatively well. This really makes one a believer of ATGATT. Good luck in the future and may you learn from this experience.
                            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                              I had more to say in the other thread where this was mentioned, so I'll comment here on the bit about being calm in chaotic situations.

I once heard that engineers often have a slightly elevated score on the test for the autism spectrum disorder. Being fascinated by this, I Googled up a test. Most of the questions have to do with delayed or disconnected emotional response to stimuli. I did have an elevated score, but only about halfway between average and Asperger. One of these days, I'll look up an ADHD test, but I don't have time for that now.

Ride your own ride. It's easy to say, but it's a difficult skill to master.

Perhaps I should find the other thread before commenting -- But if you are talking about ADD/ADHD being the thing that assisted you in being more calm and focused I can tell you there is something to that. (My opinions follow as a Father of an ADD child)
                              My son has ADD (no Hyperactivity so no H) - but he is at his best when things get chaotic.
                              Example - He played an online video game called Call of Duty and another called Halo - The competition would get incredibly intense at some of the higher levels.
                              The more it was 'all over the place" - the better he did - something in the brain of an ADD/ADHD can organize the chaos into recognizable patterns -
                              He was able to KNOW where the seemingly random action was going to take place before it did - he was so good he got sponsored professionally for a short while. (In Halo)
                              Fast forward to his driving years - he prefers a manual transmission to help keep from getting bored. He has a penchant for driving fast.
                              The more things are cluttered and randomized the better he does...
                              ADHD/ADD is a an unknown -

Glad to hear you are OKAY
                              Currently in the Stable :
                              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
                              X