Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle cable length

Hi all,

Does anybody know how long the correct throttle cable for a 1981 GS850G is supposed to be? In the process of trying to troubleshoot my "floppy throttle cable" issue today, I noticed that the cable seems like it may be a little too long because of the way it's routed. The bends are all nice and smooth, and it reaches the carbs just fine, but if I were to route it the way I think it should be routed, it would be too long. If I knew the correct length, I could determine if I have the right one or not.

Scott

Someone likely replaced cable at some time...why not just get the correct oem cable for your model (assumng you have stock handlebars)
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thought I had one, wrong part number though.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        Someone likely replaced cable at some time...why not just get the correct oem cable for your model (assumng you have stock handlebars)
        There is absolutely nothing wrong with the cable I have, other than the fact that I think it's the wrong one. I'd rather not spend the money if the one I have is the correct one, but just routed incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          Thought I had one, wrong part number though.
          So those photos you had posted in your original response were of the wrong cable?

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
            So those photos you had posted in your original response were of the wrong cable?
            Yeah, and I'm unclear as to what it will fit. It came with my 81 850G basket case.
            What I have is part number 04-0136 and is 43 1/8" in length. From center to center of cable end knuckle thingy.

Should be part number 04-0012 and Im not sure of the difference.

I dont want to mislead so deleted the first post.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
              There is absolutely nothing wrong with the cable I have, other than the fact that I think it's the wrong one.
              get the so called correct unit ,install it,and keep the current one as a spare. I carry spare clutch and throttle cables on my bike, cuz I find it challenging to cope with broken ones!
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                get the so called correct unit ,install it,and keep the current one as a spare. I carry spare clutch and throttle cables on my bike, cuz I find it challenging to cope with broken ones!
                Just bought a genuine Suzuki NOS cable on Ebay. The correct part number for anyone who wants to know is 58300-44201. When it arrives, I'll measure it, then post my findings on here for posterity's sake, then install it. I'll probably do that in conjunction with my carb rebuild.

Comment

Working...
                X