Label Your Connections Before Doing Any Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Label Your Connections Before Doing Any Work

I have to pass on something I told Charmayne to do with her bike a few weeks ago but that I failed to do myself and painfully learned my lesson over the last 24 hours. I made sure Charmayne labeled each of the connections in her headlight so she knew how to put them back together once we finished upgrading her fork springs and headlight. However, I didn't as I felt I would recognize the wire color pattern and be fine with reconnecting them.

Fast forward to yesterday and I was finally in a position where I could put the electrical system back together in the headlight bucket. Unfortunately, I spent many hours until late last night and again early this morning trying to figure out why my turn signals (LED) would only dimly light. After much troubleshooting and swapping her turn signals for mine (everything worked with hers), I finally paid attention to the fact my center console wasn't lit up (oil pressure, gears, signals). I decided to remove the bucket and disconnect all wires to ensure I was getting power at each. I then realized I had cross connected the center console wires and swapped them. Sure enough the center console lit up and my turn signals worked as they should have.

Had I marked my wires when I disconnected everything, I would not have wasted the time I did; especially when I knew I should have and even explained the reasoning to Charmayne.

There is another lesson here that I just haven't wanted to spend the time working on - if you have to replace multiple connectors in the same area as I did a few years ago, alternate the pattern somewhat or use different colors to signify what connects to what. This would also have simplified matters for me this weekend.
    Last edited by cowboyup3371; 03-26-2017, 07:48 PM.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Definitely good advice but more and more rather than labeling or taking notes I've gotten used to taking cell phone pictures as I move through a job.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I have the wires for my rear turn signals marked for left and right, for when I have to dismount the GK luggage. That didn't stop me from riding around signalling the opposite of what I was about to do for months.

I'm not saying that labeling connections isn't good idea. It's just that stupid is sometimes invincible.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Ive been burned countless times at work with my "memory".
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks for the reminder cowboy. I'm getting ready to do a forks rebuild (replacing everything...just about) and also installing a new Ignition Switch. Lots to keep in mind...sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I typically take several pictures with my cell phone camera before starting any removal work.
            From a few different angles - so I can reference what I forget...
            Then the pics can be deleted if not required to be saved (although I do download many of them to my computer for future)
            Currently in the Stable :
            2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
            1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
            - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Working...
            X