Tappet depressor/valve shim tool video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tappet depressor/valve shim tool video

For anyone who has never adjusted his own valves and is debating the whole "zip tie vs tappet depressor tool" question, here is a link to a video I found on Youtube showing the tool in use. The video is in German, but it's of good enough quality that you don't really need to be able to understand the narrator. I'm pretty sure the tool this guy is using is an actual Suzuki tool. If you're interested, the part number is 09916-64510 08-0017. There are numerous 3rd party versions if you can't find the Suzuki tool.

Anyway, I hope someone finds this useful.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I used the tool ever since I bought my bike in 2010 but I have experienced enough frustration keeping the tool in place when setting it that I finally witnessed how to use the zip ties. I'm switching to the zip tie method
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I have used the Suzuki depressor for at least a dozen years without problems. I have never tried the zip-tie method, and won't do so. Why change something that works perfectly for me?

Comment

I would agree with you JJ and did until this last week. I tried to show my daughter how to use the tool and it slipped off the cam the first three times I tried to set it while talking to her. We swapped to the zip tie method I had been shown the night before and we finished her valve adjustment about 45 minutes later (total time over 2 days as she started not feeling well and we had to finish the next day)
        sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
          I have used the Suzuki depressor for at least a dozen years without problems. I have never tried the zip-tie method, and won't do so. Why change something that works perfectly for me?
          After seeing that video on Youtube with what looks like the genuine Suzuki tool, it looks like it has nice, sharp edges, which would seem to be critical in keeping the tool from slipping out of position. I can see where if that same design were made with rounded edges (as in a cheap, 3rd party manufacturer), it might tend to slip, and that could easily spell disaster. The jury is still out for me at the moment.....

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            I would agree with you JJ and did until this last week. I tried to show my daughter how to use the tool and it slipped off the cam the first three times I tried to set it while talking to her. We swapped to the zip tie method I had been shown the night before and we finished her valve adjustment about 45 minutes later (total time over 2 days as she started not feeling well and we had to finish the next day)
            So what changed? Why did the tool all of a sudden stop working?

Comment

It didn't just stop working as I have always had issues keeping it in place; however, I also just dealt with it as I too didn't trust the zip tie method. But that's the way it is until you SEE and TRY something new and realize it's not that bad. I saw how simple it made the change and definitely reduced the frustration levels to nothing.
              sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Let me add something here - choose your own way. Try the tool out and give it a fair shake for awhile. If you don't like it, at least you know there is another way
                sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Why change something that works perfectly for me?
                  Because something else might be easier and SAFER?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Perhaps so. Having had no problems in years, I don't find the procedure using the tool either hard nor unsafe, though. I'll stick with what works for me, thanks.

Comment

Perhaps so. Having had no problems in years, I don't find the procedure using the tool either hard nor unsafe, though. I'll stick with what works for me, thanks.
                      Same here, I've been using the same or similar tool for years on my old VW Rabbit, XS750 Yamaha and 2 GS1000's. I tried the zip tie thing to see what the big deal is and frankly found it to be somewhat bothersome and finicky plus I just don't like sticking foreign objects in the cylinders. And safer??? Safe I guess until you knock a piece of carbon off a valve and onto the seat I guess. One should just use what works for them and not criticize others for their choice.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Well, I have shown these before and I'll show them again.

Here is what can happen when the tool slips off the side. Yes, the zip-tie is safer. And if you have carbon on the valves, you need a tune-up anyway, and the carbon will only be there for a couple revolutions of the engine.

Obviously we are not going to convince each other, but I am just trying to point out that there ARE hazards to using a tool that stands a good chance of being knocked out of place in the middle of the procedure.

You are evidently either lucky or skilled enough to not have that happen to you. Obviously I am not lucky enough, and I have not yet developed the skill necessary, so I, too, will stick with what works for me.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
                          One should just use what works for them and not criticize others for their choice.
                          Let me add something here - choose your own way. Try the tool out and give it a fair shake for awhile. If you don't like it, at least you know there is another way
                          Who here said anything about criticizing a person's choice? All that has been said was there is a second way and it is a viable option IF THE PERSON CHOOSES IT. Why is it anytime someone tries to present an alternate theory/practice/opinion, it is automatically assumed they are criticizing others or being offensive?
                          sigpic

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Who here said anything about criticizing a person's choice? All that has been said was there is a second way and it is a viable option IF THE PERSON CHOOSES IT. Why is it anytime someone tries to present an alternate theory/practice/opinion, it is automatically assumed they are criticizing others or being offensive?
                            Originally posted by Steve View Post

Sorry Cowboyup but that was not directed at you by any means and I totally agree totally agree that if someone finds an alternate way of doing things that's great. Especially with the cost of specialized tools these days many of us find a work around when needed. What I take issue with is when someone seems to think their work around is the "easiest and safest" way to do things because they encountered problems with it while many of us have found the recommended way works just fine. It insinuates that somehow we are the ones doing it incorrectly or in an unsafe manner. As I said, I've tried both and use what works for me, JJ uses what works for him and Steve uses what works for himself also. I don't have an issue with that and was not the first to comment on it.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I tried the tool, but it was challenging on the outside valves... using zip ties did the trick. A bit of carbon being dislodged doesn't worry me. Do whatever works for you!
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X