No hope- cracked Kerker header?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No hope- cracked Kerker header?

Just seeing what you folks think about if this pipe can be saved.
    It's pretty far gone, but the steel seems the same thickness as stock, aside from a bit of surface rust.
    It's cracked all the way on one tube and cracked at another spot near the collector.
    The pipe was previously annealed at these points about 4 month ago.
    Apologize for small photo, had more but all were small.
    Last edited by Carter Turk; 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Mine had a nasty dent from an accident on #1 after the bend leaving the head. I gave it to a local car builder (hot rod / race car shop) and he bent up a new tube and replaced the bad piece. He cut off and welded the piece that connects to the head back on, and welded the whole piece back on to the header.

On the lower right of the pic, one of the welds can be seen.

http://
    Last edited by dorkburger; 03-26-2017, 09:40 PM.
    sigpic
    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Glen, maybe some hope then.
      Couple more small shots.
      Last is temp replacement, stole off wifes bike.
      It's about 3" longer and the baffle is much smaller.
      Will see how it runs.

GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Carter, we had an old high mileage Volkswagon Westafalia that quite often developed cracks in the exhaust system and exhausts for those being very pricey we just took to the local muffler shop and they were masters at welding up thin wall tubing. Most of the time they never even charged us because it only took a few minutes. Might be worth a shot.
        Last edited by Sandy; 03-27-2017, 01:56 AM.
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

That's an easy fix. Good TIG welder will do that easy. I'd do it myself with gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
            Carter, we had an old high mileage Volkswagon Westafalia that quite often developed cracks in the exhaust system and exhausts for those being very pricey we just took to the local muffler shop and they were masters at welding up thin wall tubing. Most of the time they never even charged us because it only took a few minutes. Might be worth a shot.
            Thanks for that tip Sandy.

Greg, glad to hear its an easy fix.

What about all the carbon inside the pipe, I got some of it out near the crack?

Comment

If you're worried about the carbon, you could always do a caustic bath (carefully) to clean it out.
              In my experience repairing pipes - 2 and 4 stroke - anything on the inside just burns off when heated to weld temps.

Comment

Just removed a Kerker off my 79 1000, Iam in ferndale. You can have it!

Comment

I will pay shipping on your cracked one to Norman Oklahoma if you snag that one offered up for free. I can cut the down pipes and weld them to the one I have with some good size rust holes. Been meaning to repair / restore this header and your stuff will be great donor parts for my project.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I talked to 4 different welders in to town, they all said it's done or didn't want to deal with it.
                    One automotive shop who welded part of my Vanagon exhaust for me said they'd try for $150.
                    The guy who brass anealed it last didn't want to bother with trying to repair it again.
                    After the previous photos, more cracks were found around the collector.
                    It was hard saying goodbye, but have a line a couple possible replacements.
                    Guess it lasted over 15 years or so.
                    The Yosh I stole off the other 1150 is working well, even if the baffle outlet is smaller.
                    Actually seems quite happy, just don't have a proper mounting bracket for the mid or can.

Comment

Working...
                    X