New Project with some old stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Project with some old stuff

New to the site, to hopefully get some help with my '79 550 bobber build.

Hardtail
    Single Carb
    Kickstart Only
    Cams

Look forward to the build so i can get on to the next.
    Attached Files

Hey booda_33,
    I've been waiting for someone to reply but nothing yet so I think I will.
    That 550 looks very fixable as is, and I personally am a stock kind of guy. I'd hate to see it cut up.
    There are plenty of bobber starts, but no finishes on Craig's List that you could buy and finish to your liking.
    But if you do decide to cut it up there is a lot of information on this site when you have a specific question.
    My personal opinion is to keep it original.
    Alan

sigpic
    Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
    Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
    Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
    Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

i dont disagree that its got the potential for a rebuild to stock but thats just not my style, and i know alot of the guys on here are more into refurb than chopping. But i went out searching for this exact bike as i had one years ago that i never got to do anything with. So far ive been able to get the help im looking for without any issue. thanks for popping by.
      Originally posted by AMK View Post
      Hey booda_33,
      I've been waiting for someone to reply but nothing yet so I think I will.
      That 550 looks very fixable as is, and I personally am a stock kind of guy. I'd hate to see it cut up.
      There are plenty of bobber starts, but no finishes on Craig's List that you could buy and finish to your liking.
      But if you do decide to cut it up there is a lot of information on this site when you have a specific question.
      My personal opinion is to keep it original.

Comment

What kind of manifold and carb do you have in mind? That sounds like too much trouble for me, but it might be interesting.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I havent been able to find anyone else thats done a GOOD 4 to 1 on a 550 so im kinda flying by the seat of my pants. But i attached an image of the basic structure...when all is said and done the manifold will be sitting just above the transmission. I plan on using a 32mm Mikuni CV carb as ive seen a guy do an ugly job on a gs850 with a Mikuni BS32, so im pretty sure i could jet one down where i need it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPxhDWCcRRk
          bg8ept.jpg
          Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
          What kind of manifold and carb do you have in mind? That sounds like too much trouble for me, but it might be interesting.

Comment

Working...
          X