Tossing around the idea of a single carb setup on my 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tossing around the idea of a single carb setup on my 550

I know where most everyone will go and im not looking to outsmart the Suzuki engineers, i know im not going to beat the 4 carb setup for performance, it just comes down to simplicity of tuning and wanting to do something different for my around town bobber, not to mention the vm22ss i pulled off are toast. Im not located anywhere that i can just take my carbs to someone to be cleaned, repaired, setup and tuned, and my build budget is limited. i plan on fabbing my own manifold once i get my frame work done and know what kind of space im working with. my questions are what size carb should i go with and has anyone seen this done anywhere else. (links would be nice if available.)
    Attached Files

not to mention the vm22ss i pulled off are toast.
    Pictures or it ain't true!

Not sure if doable, or if it makes sense...If I understood you correctly, you have several reasons why you'd like to go down this route:

1. Carbs are beyond economical repair, i.e. super dead, deader than dead...etc
    2. Don't wan't to hassle with four carbs instead of one (sync/tune)
    3. You don't have money to pay somebody to fix'em up (or not willing to spend it)
    4. You don't have anybody nearby to fix'em up
    5. You can't/don't want do it by yourself
    6. You want something special

..to which I have the following report/respond:

1. As said, show us some pictures...takes a lot for them to be beyond repair
    2. I'm a newbie rider, and began working on my GS's only 1 to 1.5 years ago. It's easy with the right resources (see my signature)
    3. See 2), not necessary to have somebody else to do it
    4. Again, 2), and there's a lot of help and resources in here
    5. See 4) and below this list
    6. ...well yeah, can't have that with stock

The 550s are very cramped in the carburetor/airbox area. I'd say it'll be less of a hassle for you to bring the VM22 back to life, compared to all the work required to get a single carb setup.

Then again, maybe someone more knowledgeable might chime in. I'll take the VM22SS' off your hands then, btw
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

wow. interesting question. Haven't a clue really, but I won't let that stop me

I'd guess you'll need a carb with the right manifold volume/pressure to suck from enough from big jets ... to suit 275ccs (half of a 550-4) Maybe something off a yamaha XV750? or some other twin with a single carb. But splitting the intake into branches- not sure how that works! the manifolds w.ould necessarilly be two different lengths if you use separate tubes so starting will be tricky as will gas condensing on the longer tubes....Also, as mentioned space behind engine is a consideration
      Building a manifold right across the back of the engine(like a car) would bebetter than 4 manifold tubes...wouldn't it?
      Well good luck! You'll be a goto expert if you get this happening....

TWIN carbs-that's doable almost as simple and there are examples- I think there's even a setup for them for the 550 somewhere...

Comment

Talk to Grimly. He's done this sort of thing.
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
        X