81 Gs 750E fork tubes wont separate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 Gs 750E fork tubes wont separate.

So back story, i have an 81 Gs 750E DOHC 16 valve i bought from a guy. Got it for a decent price because the front calipers were seized and the forks were leaking oil. Fixed the calipers and did some research on the oil seals and how to remove them.
    Started by loosening the allen head screw at the bottom of the fork, drained the oil, pulled the top (air valve top) and removed the springs/damper, pulled the dust cap and took the snap ring out. (seals still inside)
    All went relatively smooth up to this point. According to my service manual, forums and videos (of gs 750's similar to mine) the top tube should then separate from the bottom leg by pulling them apart, with a little motivation. But when i went to remove them the upper tube wouldn't separate from the lower leg. I gave it some good sharp pulls with it still attached to the bike. Im wondering if i missed a step or are my forks diferent the others, do i need to slam it a harder to pop the seals, or do i need a speacial press to separate them? Definitely appreciate any advice.

Sounds like the seals are pretty well stuck inside. May have to take a small sharp chisel and cut the seal on two sides. Soak them in PB blaster or something of the same and try again before cutting the seals in two. You did take the allen head screws all the way out right?
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Thanks I will give that a try when i get out to the shop next. And yeah, i fully removed them and the dampers. Other than the oil seals and fork oil, anything else i should replace when i service my forks? Dust seals still looked to be in good condition so i think they should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisgs750e View Post
        Thanks I will give that a try when i get out to the shop next. And yeah, i fully removed them and the dampers. Other than the oil seals and fork oil, anything else i should replace when i service my forks? Dust seals still looked to be in good condition so i think they should be good.
        Change the slider bushings under the seals, if they show any wear replace them. Also check the bushings at the bottom of the the fork sliders once you get them out.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I like the advice given Bill.

Ed
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Originally posted by GSXR7ED
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

So finally got the right fork separated, (the one with the original leak) to find out the reason for the leak was previous owner used a screw driver to pry the seals out, scaring the inner surface of the lower fork tube. Doesnt matter how new your seals are they aint holding oil. Well lucky for me Ebay had a guy down south (thank you Idaho) that had a used set that i bought and had shipped up here relatively cheap. I put those two in the fork clamps and tried pulling them off and almost put them threw the floor thinking they would be just as tough as the last ones. Sure is nice when you have parts that aren't fubar'ed. So it turns out the bushing in the left fork was bent making it impossible to pull the fork apart. Thanks for all the help MrBill

Comment

Working...
            X