Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shinko 712 tires INSTALLED review. Excellent deal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinko 712 tires INSTALLED review. Excellent deal.

Ok,

So I ordered a set of 3.00-18 and 3.50-18 Shinko 712 tires, tubes, liner and weights for around $111 total shipped to the house from JakeWilson.com and picked up the stick on weights at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $10. (i did have to cut the weights in half to fit on the rim). The Shinko are tubeless tires but you can put them on tube rims. Get good tubes and make sure your air pressure is correct.

My best quote for complete package of the same tires, install and computer balance was $280 highest quote was $390. Had a verbal quote of around $200 but the guy withdrew his quote. Basically I saved $170-$300 by doing this myself, now that I have done it, I won't be taking my bike to have this done at a shop anymore.

The front tire the 3.00-18 is on back order and should be here first week of April. I will update this post when I get it on.

Back tire got here in 3 days, took me longer to get the old IRC off than it did to put everything on and back together. The IRC was glued to the rim, so stiff the spoons couldn't work it over. I had to cut the tire then clip the wire ring with a pair of diagonal cutters...it sucked. Then I had to clean off the rim to get the glue off of it. Once that was all done, I used 3 tire spoons, which I already had, soapy water and elbow grease to get the tire on, fit perfect. Did the balance myself, put everything back together. First thing today, made sure air was right in the tire... min is 41 max is 55. I aired it up to 47. No wobble, no bounce, no annoying sounds...it is a little stiffer than the IRC but handles much better. Grip is great, corner is great... I just hope it lasts longer than the IRC. Other than the stiffer ride....I like them so far, my bike seemed quieter on the road...if that makes any sense (concrete whine). Will add to OP when I get the front tire on.

Got the front tire and installed it. The balance on the front took longer and required some closer clips on the weights, same issue as back. Whoever put the IRC's on the rim put waaaaaay tooo much bead seal on the tire.

What I noticed riding it today after install. Old tires IRC GS11, new Shinko 712 F 3.00x18 R 3.50x18 tubed

1. cornering and response was measurably tighter, bike responded faster to steering/leaning/cornering
    2. overall ride was much better, a little stiffer but much better on the road
    3. wet handling (rained today) - bike felt like it was sticking to the wet road, I never got that feeling from the IRC's
    4. look and fit perfect no issues - hopefully they last longer than the IRC's, either way, they are cheaper in price.
    5. Front tire no longer "squirrely" on grooved, lined, jointed roads.

Conclusion - Shinko 712 vs. IRC GS11 - winner SHINKO 712 by a landslide. They will get a 400 mile road test this weekend.

Comment

Glad you like the Shinkos.

You live in a metropolis...And it's unfortunate that bike shops do that kinda business.

When I get both my bike's tires, I will let the shop order and mount/balance the tires. My choice; these guys have helped me since 2011 and they are good people.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
        Glad you like the Shinkos.

You live in a metropolis...And it's unfortunate that bike shops do that kinda business.

When I get both my bike's tires, I will let the shop order and mount/balance the tires. My choice; these guys have helped me since 2011 and they are good people.

Ed
        Normally I would have as well, but the $170 +extra ( if I brought the rims in with the tires ) which included shop markup, shop fee, disposal fees, miscellaneous parts fees, $35 per tire mount fee, balance fee... I'm divorced and on a budget. After doing this myself and listening to advice on how to make this easy...I will never use a bike shop to do this unless I have a 200mph bike or $4000 rims...which means never. Self balanced the tires and no shaking or vibrations. Easy Peasy. Total work time should have been less than an hour and a half... the bead issue and really bad IRC tire took a little longer. Now that I have the rim cleaned up and liner installed, I think this will be much easier next time around.

FYI, I popped off my front tire and put it on the computer balance at work, no adjustments needed. I am a believer in DIY tire changing/balance.

Comment

Hey Blue Falcon,

I'm not gonna argue being on a budget--Especially after a divorce. It's cheaper to keep her so I am married.

Me buying motorcycle parts does not make her happy but we've learned that being selfish is not a good thing.

I'm retired Air Force and did Material Management for my entire 25yr career. I currently have a civilian job and afforded the opportunity to make decent money. All situations are different.

Keep on updating with projects/tasks on your bike. I enjoy putting my two cents in when I connect with the subject.

Ed
          Last edited by GSXR7ED; 04-05-2017, 06:57 AM.
          GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
          Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I've been using Shinko 712s for 15000 miles, or 3 tire set changes on my 82-GS1100G. Excellent tires!!!
            The fronts last twice as long as the rears of course, as with all bikes.
            I see on Bike Bandit they now have a 4.6 rating with 230 reviews.
            The Shinko 230 Tourmaster has a 4.6 rating with 332 reviews.
            "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
            1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
            1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
            1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
              Basically I saved $170-$300 by doing this myself, now that I have done it, I won't be taking my bike to have this done at a shop anymore.
              Welcome to the world of doing it yourself for satisfaction and serious savings. I never take my bike to a shop once it leaves the dealer in the first place. Buy (or download, these days) a service manual and know that your baby is taken care of properly for $$$ less than the stealer.

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
              First thing today, made sure air was right in the tire... min is 41 max is 55. I aired it up to 47.
              Good lord. Where did you get your min/max pressures from? According to Shinko the max pressure for both those tires is 40psi. Honestly, you never even need to get near that unless you are running a maxed out touring bike. The load rating for your front tire is 481lb (load index of 55) and the rear is 551lb (load index of 60). I'm hoping that you and your bike together are nowhere near 1000lb all up weight. I would suggest trying pressures around 32-35psi for both front and rear, with the rear 2psi or so higher than the front. I am running Shinko 230's on my 1100E and run 35R/31F for pressures.

Shinko tire info: http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/712#sizes

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
              Metropolis or not, it's been my experience bike shops do that sort of business in most places. If you have one that isn't like that you are lucky.

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
              I am running the 230's and am completely happy with them.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Hey Mark,

I'm fortunate with the bike shop I goto here in Delaware. I know the sole proprietor well and I visit the shop periodically to shoot the breeze.

Ed
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

I've been using Shinko 712s for 15000 miles, or 3 tire set changes on my 82-GS1100G. Excellent tires!!!
                  The fronts last twice as long as the rears of course, as with all bikes.
                  I see on Bike Bandit they now have a 4.6 rating with 230 reviews.
                  BB, that's good info because I believe we share a certain penchant for lean angle.

Have you ever tried the Shinko 230? I'm wondering whether there's much difference in grip or life between the 712 and the 230.

I've tried a set of Shinko 230s on my GS850G a while back. They worked beautifully in all conditions but didn't last long. YMMV, of course, but the front was pretty much shagged when the rear was bald, so no 2:1.

My current set of Avons is getting somewhat bare, so I may need to order up a set of the 712s for a scientific comparison. They're slightly cheaper than the 230 (currently $108.76 vs $125.30 for the set shipped from my favorite supplier) so that's good.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The tires are doing great, got a real test this morning in a torrential thunderstorm, wind blowing, rain pelting my suit and helmet. Can't complain, hugged the road, felt more control, no slip. I feel good so far, just hope they last a lot longer.

As far as the listed PSI on the website, their web developer and the engineers need to talk to each other. My tires specifically say 55 psi max (hot...figured I would add the hot). I also typo'd somewhere that it was 57psi... meh. The manufacturer also recommended staying closer to max psi due to using a tubeless tire on a tubed rim with a tube in it. I did drop the psi on them to 35/37 to see how they handle...bit bouncy tbh.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2017, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Bouncy? I run 32 lbs in my 1100 with 230's on it and would never call the ride bouncy. I did a track day on them last year, very good grip, but seemed slow to turn. I ran 25 or 27 lbs that day.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        BB, that's good info because I believe we share a certain penchant for lean angle.

Have you ever tried the Shinko 230? I'm wondering whether there's much difference in grip or life between the 712 and the 230.

I've tried a set of Shinko 230s on my GS850G a while back. They worked beautifully in all conditions but didn't last long. YMMV, of course, but the front was pretty much shagged when the rear was bald, so no 2:1.

My current set of Avons is getting somewhat bare, so I may need to order up a set of the 712s for a scientific comparison. They're slightly cheaper than the 230 (currently $108.76 vs $125.30 for the set shipped from my favorite supplier) so that's good.
                        I did have them on my 1100G for a novice track day, my 1st. No problem, but that's too much weight on narrow tires for extreme lean angles. Not gonna play that close to the edge, as our friend Dogma did. My only worry came when I was testing the top speed of my G, the 712s are only H rated. Just about the limit for a GS-G, some can go over that.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

I did have them on my 1100G for a novice track day, my 1st. No problem, but that's too much weight on narrow tires for extreme lean angles. Not gonna play that close to the edge, as our friend Dogma did. My only worry came when I was testing the top speed of my G, the 712s are only H rated. Just about the limit for a GS-G, some can go over that.
                          Innnnnnteresting. The 230 in these sizes is V rated (149mph, vs 130mph for an H rating) and the rear has a higher load index of 74 (827 pounds) vs 68 (694 pounds) for the 712.

As far as I can tell, the 850G is gearing limited -- you get about 115mph at redline. In any case, the speed rating of the tires is the very least of your worries above 100mph on a vintage shaftie...
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

The 450 manual shows front tire pressures of 25 solo and 28 dual. Rear 28 solo and 32 dual. After thirty years of riding these twins I've come to the same conclusion. I use the dual pressures if I'm riding at continuous high speed in hot weather, and only use the lower numbers for cold and wet.
                            '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Innnnnnteresting. The 230 in these sizes is V rated (149mph, vs 130mph for an H rating) and the rear has a higher load index of 74 (827 pounds) vs 68 (694 pounds) for the 712.

As far as I can tell, the 850G is gearing limited -- you get about 115mph at redline. In any case, the speed rating of the tires is the very least of your worries above 100mph on a vintage shaftie...
                              Well, I had complete confidence in my 1100G above 100, I did have an indicated 115mph, (stop pin removed, self calibrated speedo face.). This was only a couple thousand miles after new rear shocks and new fork springs installed, plus half fairing.
                              The highway I did not have much confidence in, a decade overdue for repaving, 2 lanes, and deep drainage trenches on each side.

Comment

Working...
                              X