Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shinko 712 tires INSTALLED review. Excellent deal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Park View Post
    The 450 manual shows front tire pressures of 25 solo and 28 dual. Rear 28 solo and 32 dual. After thirty years of riding these twins I've come to the same conclusion. I use the dual pressures if I'm riding at continuous high speed in hot weather, and only use the lower numbers for cold and wet.
    The manual doesn't do jack for me...that was factory tire 36+ years ago. I called a local dealer, asked the questions, they called me back with answers from the "factory" or distributor..whichever. I was told, YES you can run tubeless tires on tubed rims, put a liner on the rim, use a tube and air pressure should be closer to the max tire pressure. I didn't pull this out of thin air. Liner was suggested REGARDLESS of whether or not you are using a spoke rim....which I am not. I was also told by the dealer "DO NOT USE BEAD SEALER" on the tires on a tube rim. They said I would regret it next tire change... I am thinking that I would be cussing myself like I did the PO for all the glue inside the rim I had to remove from old tires. The dealer/bike shop also stated that if I were to race the bike, I would need to get a whole new set of rims... not really sure why... not like a GS450 is gonna torque the back tire and spin the rim inside it.

Remember $111 for the front, back, rim liners and tubes delivered for the 712's. If you don't need tubes or liners...roughly $85 delivered for the 712 set.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Falcon View Post
      The manual doesn't do jack for me...that was factory tire 36+ years ago. I called a local dealer, asked the questions, they called me back with answers from the "factory" or distributor..whichever. I was told, YES you can run tubeless tires on tubed rims, put a liner on the rim, use a tube and air pressure should be closer to the max tire pressure. I didn't pull this out of thin air. Liner was suggested REGARDLESS of whether or not you are using a spoke rim....which I am not. I was also told by the dealer "DO NOT USE BEAD SEALER" on the tires on a tube rim. They said I would regret it next tire change... I am thinking that I would be cussing myself like I did the PO for all the glue inside the rim I had to remove from old tires. The dealer/bike shop also stated that if I were to race the bike, I would need to get a whole new set of rims... not really sure why... not like a GS450 is gonna torque the back tire and spin the rim inside it.

Remember $111 for the front, back, rim liners and tubes delivered for the 712's. If you don't need tubes or liners...roughly $85 delivered for the 712 set.

Upon further inspection, there may be some thin air between the dealers ears.
      '82 GS450T

Comment

Upon further inspection, there may be some thin air between the dealers ears.
        no bead area for a tubeless to seal to on my rims.. I don't have that little "bead lip" area on my rim. Yes, I could go completely tubeless... way too much work..easier to buy new tubeless rims. I get why they said don't use bead sealer. By dealer, I meant Shinko dealer not Suzuki. Not that it matters because my bike can't go that fast...but if you mount tube in tubeless on a tubeless rim... down grade your speed rating by 1... so the H rating is actually a U rating... again, not like a GS450 is going to hit that.

Since you have been riding these babies so long.... wtf could that sound be coming from the clutch area.... I'm cracking it open next weekend hoping to find a loose nut.... annoying as "insert foul word here".

Comment

The manual doesn't do jack for me...that was factory tire 36+ years ago. I called a local dealer, asked the questions, they called me back with answers from the "factory" or distributor..whichever...
          Trust me... The air pressures you are running are FAR too high. The "factory" or distributor..whichever.." that quoted them those numbers is an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
            Trust me... The air pressures you are running are FAR too high. The "factory" or distributor..whichever.." that quoted them those numbers is an idiot.
            I had already dropped them to 35 front 38 back. I am still waiting for an email back from Shinko USA. I am going around the middle man just so I have the correct info from the horses mouth.

Comment

I had already dropped them to 35 front 38 back. I am still waiting for an email back from Shinko USA. I am going around the middle man just so I have the correct info from the horses mouth.
              Make sure it IS the right end of the horse.
              '82 GS450T

Comment

Make sure it IS the right end of the horse.
                I shall, not that it matters all that much with modern tires... my size of 712 are 6 ply as all others are 4 ply. Still waiting on Shinko USA to email me.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ View Post
                  Have to agree, WTF did he get those pressures???
                  I don't know what your wheels look like, but the rest of us are not using tubes on cast wheels. I am also using the pressures recommended by Suzuki on the under seat sticker.
                  You should have noticed that nobody at the dealerships was born within the decade the GS was built. Don't trust them to have a clue about how to fix anything on a 1970s-80s bike.
                  Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 04-11-2017, 07:30 AM.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

The 10 percent rule

Now lets see if I remember.
                    Air up the tires to a given pressure,lets say 35 psi.
                    Take a 10 mile (15 km) ride.
                    Recheck the pressure,it should be 3.5 PSI higher.
                    Adjust pressure till you get a consistent 10 percent rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                      I don't know what your wheels look like, but the rest of us are not using tubes on cast wheels. I am also using the pressures recommended by Suzuki on the under seat sticker.
                      You should have noticed that nobody at the dealerships was born within the decade the GS was built. Don't trust them to have a clue about how to fix anything on a 1970s-80s bike.
                      A lot of them aren't much better off with what they're selling today.
                      '82 GS450T

Comment

Answer from Shinko.... I am awaiting the comments to fly lol.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for contacting Shinko Tire U.S.A.

Both of these tires have a max of 41 psi cold. We recommend running the max psi on the sidewall whenever possible and never more than 5psi below for rider comfort.

We appreciate your interest in Shinko Tires.

Sincerely,

Kyle Kosberg
                        Western Power Sports/Shinko
                        601 E. Gowen Rd.
                        Boise Id 83716
                        PH: 208-376-8400 EXT. 3427
                        KKOSBERG@WPS-INC.COM

-----Original Message-----
                        From: Chris via ShinkoTireUSA [mailto:no-reply@shinkotireusa.com]

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                          the motorcycle shop I had look at my rims said "no" to going full tubeless. I have the OEM rims for my 450. The tire guy said, no bead area, we won't install and suggested I not install a full tubeless. Said I would have to drill out stem areas for the right stem and pray a bead would seal. They would however install tubes, liner and same tires on the rims. Basically they are not wanting to take on the liability should something go wrong.

Tires change over the years, what Suzuki recommended in 1981 is not necessarily what is needed for 2017 tires. I will go off the tire manufacturer recommendation over suzuki on this one.

The 3.00 and 3.50 are 6 ply while all other 712 sizes are 4 ply, mine are a little heavier.

Any way about it, I'll stay in Shinko's range for my specific size.

Comment

tubes inside tubeless tires work fine. ...you will have a tubeless tire in practice except around the valve, because the tubeless is going to seal itself to your alloy rim anyways if it's clean. The alloy rims went tubeless within a year or two of yours. They are very similar.

as to tire pressure,
                            Both of these tires have a max of 41 psi cold. We recommend running the max psi on the sidewall whenever possible and never more than 5psi below for rider comfort
                            . sounds odd to me. Like "We recommend running the engine at max RPM whenever possible"
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-11-2017, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                              Now lets see if I remember.
                              Air up the tires to a given pressure,lets say 35 psi.
                              Take a 10 mile (15 km) ride.
                              Recheck the pressure,it should be 3.5 PSI higher.
                              Adjust pressure till you get a consistent 10 percent rise.
                              While this is a decent method for track use it can result in running lower pressures than optimal on the street as it is hard to get tires very warm at all in normal riding, especially in cooler weather.

A lot of them aren't much better off with what they're selling today.
                              Sad but true.

the motorcycle shop I had look at my rims said "no" to going full tubeless. I have the OEM rims for my 450. The tire guy said, no bead area, we won't install and suggested I not install a full tubeless. Said I would have to drill out stem areas for the right stem and pray a bead would seal. They would however install tubes, liner and same tires on the rims. Basically they are not wanting to take on the liability should something go wrong.
                              That is perfectly reasonable for the shop to not be interested in converting to tubeless, but know that there are many here (myself included) who have gone to tubeless set ups and have no trouble with them. Less unsprung weight, cooler tire temps and less chance of an explosive flat compared to tubes. It's very worthwhile in my experience.

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                              as to tire pressure, . sounds odd to me. Like "We recommend running the engine at max RPM whenever possible"
                              It is logical for the tire manufacturer to recommend the max pressure for all riding. It gives the most protection to the rim from road debris, provides the highest load capacity and runs cooler. It doesn't provide the best performance, though. You just have to realize they are in the business of covering their asses and not giving out performance tips.

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Tires change over the years, what Suzuki recommended in 1981 is not necessarily what is needed for 2017 tires. I will go off the tire manufacturer recommendation over suzuki on this one.

The 3.00 and 3.50 are 6 ply while all other 712 sizes are 4 ply, mine are a little heavier.

Any way about it, I'll stay in Shinko's range for my specific size.
                                No harm following advice from Mr Kosberg Shinko tech.
                                I have a much bigger GS with different size tires of course. My wheels have; "Tubeless" cast in the metal.
                                Still, such high pressures will give a hard ride with better gas mileage, but not heat up enough for sticking through steep lean angles.
                                At the race track we are all advised to use about 8% below manufacturer recommended pressures. Low pressure allows the tire to distort, and that distortion causes internal friction and heat build up. Hot tires stick better than cold tires.
                                Ride the way you like to ride, so will I.
                                "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                                1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                                1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                                1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Working...
                                X