No announcement yet.

Can shift without clutch/does not stall without clutch engaged and no throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can shift without clutch/does not stall without clutch engaged and no throttle

Hello everyone,I installed a new clutch cable and I'm noticing that it doesn't stall in any gear when the clutch is released without idle and that I can also shift through all the gears with or without the clutch. In fact, it feels basically the same either way.

I did not disconnect it from the "splined shaft" but rather from the clevis pin connected to the "clutch cable release arm," so the orientation should be the same. It seems like I installed it with the right tension but it's hard to tell since it's brand new and super slippery in comparison to the old one. Does anyone have any suggestions?

slacken off the adjusters on the cable until you have a few mm freeplay on the lever.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I've tried it both with the tension very loose and very tight. I did notice before that it was possible to shift without the clutch. Just seems weird that I can do that even with this clutch cable super loose.

Comment

Maybe I just don't really have a good understanding of how clutches work. This is my first bike so I don't really have a baseline.

I've read a few other threads, and it seems like shifting through the gears without the clutch is normal. If that's the case, is the clutch's purpose just to disconnect the power from the engine, so to speak?

I thought the clutch was used specifically to stop something from spinning so I can enter into that gear without grinding, like in a car.

Sorry if this is super newbie of me.

Comment

The bike usually kind of klunks into each gear. Figured I'd add that in case that is not normal.

Comment

It is quite possible to shift without the clutch, once the bike is moving. Even in a car, the clutch does not "stop something from spinning", it just disconnects the power.

Do a quick test to see if the clutch is adjusted properly. Start the bike on the centerstand. Pull the clutch lever, wait a few seconds. Move the selector to first gear, keep holding the lever. Did the selector move easily into gear or did it grind? If it ground, the clutch is not fully releasing.

Next, move the bike so it is up against something solid, like a tree, a wall or even the bumper of a car. Put the bike in 4th or 5th gear, run the RPM up to about 2000, start letting out the clutch. Keep adding throttle as you let out the clutch. Does it keep running or does it stall? If it keeps running, the clutch is too loose.

Make the necessary adjustments, report back.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve,

In that last test, do I push the front or back wheel up to something?

Comment

Originally posted by giganticflying View Post
                Thanks Steve,

With the bike on the center stand, there shouldn't be a special need to block the bike's path, though it wouldn't hurt. Holding the front brake should be all you need to do. Idle power shouldn't let it take off if the front brake is locked. The front brake should also help make sure you don't somehow knock it off the center stand while the wheel is spinning. The whole point of putting it on the center stand is that this should get the rear wheel off the ground so it doesn't move the bike. If your bike has been altered so the rear wheel is still touching the ground when on the center stand, then there's not point.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by giganticflying View Post
                  Thanks Steve,

Go back, re-read it.

Or, just look here, I quoted it for you, so you don't have to scroll:

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Next, move the bike so it is up against something solid, like a tree, a wall or even the bumper of a car. Put the bike in 4th or 5th gear, ...
                  sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I read it, but you don't specify which part of the bike should be up against something. Thanks Dogma
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-28-2017, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Unless your bike is extremely special and heavely modified that has reverse, I don't think there's any other way park the bike against something other than the front tire?

Comment

No need to put it against anything. While on the center stand, sit on the bike and shift through the gears as if you're riding down the road. When you get to the top gears, simply put the rear brake on while in gear and with a little gas. You should feel a load on the engine and should even be able to stall it from around 2K rpm.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Bortasqu View Post
                          Unless your bike is extremely special and heavely modified that has reverse, I don't think there's any other way park the bike against something other than the front tire?
                          I could just push it up against something?

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            No need to put it against anything. While on the center stand, sit on the bike and shift through the gears as if you're riding down the road. When you get to the top gears, simply put the rear brake on while in gear and with a little gas. You should feel a load on the engine and should even be able to stall it from around 2K rpm.
                            Perfect, will do. Thank you for explaining that.

Comment

Well, since you are going to be testing the clutch, which only drives you FORWARD, it sort of makes sense to position the bike against something that will prevent that.

If you can prevent forward motion by backing up to a tree or leaning against the side of a building, go for it.

Yes, applying the brake while on the centerstand can work, but that also assumes that your brake is working properly. Also, in the rare event that something happens to accidentally move the bike off the centerstand, having the rear wheel already going 70 mph will leave some interesting black marks on the floor and some brown marks on the seat.

Sorry, I did not realize that we had to spell it out in detail.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X