What jets? 80 1000g cv34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What jets? 80 1000g cv34

Ok so ive been riding the gs to work lately and i finally took it to reline since i put the 4 into 1 on and noticed it has a slight studder from roughly 7800ish on up like its a tad on the lean side. Which would make since since its all stock jetting and has a k&n factory drop in and the 4 into 1 now. Cause before itd pull all the way up no studer. So since the bike runs perfect everywhere in the rpm untill 7800ish i would just like to add a slightly bigger main jet and i see 2 styles so which one is correct for my application also how big would you go? I think i read some where 3 sizes for a good flowing 4 into 1??
    I build Pipers

i forgot to post this the 2 round slot ones theres two sizes
    I build Pipers

Comment

The large round ones are the ones you need.

You may have a "good flowing 4 into 1", but it might not flow a whole lot more than the stock pipes. Stock GS pipes actually do a good job of silencing the noise without hindering the flow too much, so you might only need a couple sizes for the pipe. Add one more for your K&N filter in the stock box, and you are probably looking for 122.5s. Just to be sure, order a set of 125s, too.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Awesome thanks buddy, yeah not sure how much better flowing it is but its definitely pushing a tad more up top, cause it never did this with the factory pipes. Although doesn't seem like much flow was gained but still
        I build Pipers

Comment

I'd go with the 120 mains and raise the needle by replacing the plastic spacer with 3 metal washers. Don't forget to do a good sync after. You have exactly the same setup I had in the 1000 motor and it worked perfectly.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I alread ordered the 122.5 and 125 jets, if its too much ill order the 120s next week. I dont rev out my bike enough to really notice it.. lol ive had the 4 into 1 on for almost 2 months now and just revved it all the way up haha. I did remove the plastic washer a while ago though and midrange picked up a lot!
            I build Pipers

Comment

Originally posted by thebrandonbeezy View Post
              I alread ordered the 122.5 and 125 jets, if its too much ill order the 120s next week. I dont rev out my bike enough to really notice it.. lol ive had the 4 into 1 on for almost 2 months now and just revved it all the way up haha. I did remove the plastic washer a while ago though and midrange picked up a lot!
              If this is the first time you checked the higher RPMs then make sure your ignition system is in good working condition as well since that can cause similar symptoms.

Did you replace the plastic washer with 3 thin metal washers? If you just took out the plastic washer and didn't replace it with a lower stack it will be riding the needle jet way too much. My 1000 would run just a tad rich (as it should) at full throttle using the 120's.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Ill take a picture of what i did. I basically flipped the washer to the underside of the clip to raise the needle, i think.. its been like 4 months since i did it. It not the first i revved it out, just the first since installed the 4 into 1. With the stock pipes it'd pull all the way to redline no problem what so ever.
                I build Pipers

Comment

Just throwing this out there, but on the CV carbs if you change the main jets, you'll affect the mixture at all throttle openings just above idle, so you may end up fiddling with the needle position a little too. FactoryPro has a pretty good link for to help tune those carbs: http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html
                  1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                    Just throwing this out there, but on the CV carbs if you change the main jets, you'll affect the mixture at all throttle openings just above idle, so you may end up fiddling with the needle position a little too. FactoryPro has a pretty good link for to help tune those carbs: http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html
                    Awesome, thanks for the link!
                    The website i ordered jets from sells mikuni needles needle jets pilot jets and what not too. Is there a p/n for adjustable needles for these so that i dont have to buy the dynojet kit for the needles??
                    I build Pipers

Comment

Is there a p/n for adjustable needles for these so that i dont have to buy the dynojet kit for the needles??
                      It's not just the position of the needle, but the taper, that makes the Dynojet needles work so well.

I would have to measure some adjustable needles I have to see how much they can be raised, but it's really the more-dramatic taper that does the job so well.

If you want to look for adjustable needles, look for needles from anwhere except the USA. Canadian, Euorpean and Australian bikes all had adjustable needles.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

We'll see what happens, right now my mid range is spot on, hopefully it stays that way as its where i spen all my time
                        I build Pipers

Comment

Ill take a picture of what i did. I basically flipped the washer to the underside of the clip to raise the needle, i think.. its been like 4 months since i did it. It not the first i revved it out, just the first since installed the 4 into 1. With the stock pipes it'd pull all the way to redline no problem what so ever.
                          Flipping the shim to under the clip is the same as having no shim at all. Take the plastic spacer out and put three metal shims on top.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                            Flipping the shim to under the clip is the same as having no shim at all. Take the plastic spacer out and put three metal shims on top.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words:
                            Soon as my jets come in and I have a reasont to dismantle my bike again ill post a picture of what i did. But i do understand what you are talking about.
                            I build Pipers

Comment

Ok so i got impatient and bought drill bits.. used a number 55 which is roughly a 118 and thats all it took.. shes running like a raped ape everywhere! Seriously holy crap smooth as pie!! Ok so since i have the bigger jets coming i was wondering if it would it be beneficial for power to open up the bottom of the air box with the bigger jets that are coming
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                              X