Spare parts for dual front disc GS550?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare parts for dual front disc GS550?

Finally got the time to start working on my 550'er again. The brakes needs an overhaul (I've got them all apart, they do not look pretty). Anyway, I have problems finding spare parts for one of the calipers. The two calipers are not identical, and I am only able to find a parts diagram for one of them. I even went to BikeCliff's website and downloaded the international parts-diagram for a GS550D. Still nothing.

The mounting bracket on the caliper not listed, got some rubber boots on them, preventing dirt and what not to enter the caliper through the bolt holes. I'd like to get my hands on new ones, as the ones in my caliper aren't intact. The pistons in the two are not identical either.

Anyone out there who's able to help me with this?

In what way are the calipers not identical? Can you provide a picture? From the info you've provided, it sounds like you have a caliper taken from another Suzuki model. GS550 and GS1000 use the same pattern calipers, so you may have one GS1000 caliper and one GS550 caliper (?). That might explain the different pistons. Hard to say without looking at a picture of what you've got.

Comment

Originally posted by postman_pat View Post
      In what way are the calipers not identical? Can you provide a picture? From the info you've provided, it sounds like you have a caliper taken from another Suzuki model. GS550 and GS1000 use the same pattern calipers, so you may have one GS1000 caliper and one GS550 caliper (?). That might explain the different pistons. Hard to say without looking at a picture of what you've got.
      Thank god someone replied. I was starting to worry if I was simply asking something too stupid, or if I actually struck a nerve, finding something no one knew anything about - The latter seems almost impossible with the knowledge this forum contains.

Anyway, on to the photo massacre:

First of, the caliper that seems to be listed on all the part diagrams that I ran across:

Then the caliper not listed:

Don't have my vernier caliper?? (google told me this is the word, honestly I have no clue - if it makes no sense, try a google image search for "skydelære", that's what it's called in Danish) with me right now, so this will have to do. Seems to be 32mm with the raised center probably being 33mm.

So the mounting bracket just sits in the caliper, not going through a separate hole. Also the place where the second brake pad sits, isn't removable as it is on the other caliper. Hope this clarifies the things needed, if else let me know.

And sorry for all the massive photo's, didn't wanna leave anything out.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2017, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Almost as I thought. You have one caliper from a Gs550 and one caliper from a GS750.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2017, 02:19 AM.

Comment

To be more specific, the caliper marked "Asco" is from a GS550. The other one is the GS750 caliper (probably from a GS750E).

Looks like at some point in the past, one of the calipers became unserviceable and was replaced. Unfortunately whoever did it couldn't find a matching GS550 caliper, so they chose a GS750 caliper instead.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2017, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by postman_pat View Post
            To be more specific, the caliper marked "Asco" is from a GS550. The other one is the GS750 caliper (probably from a GS750E).

Looks like at some point in the past, one of the calipers became unserviceable and was replaced. Unfortunately whoever did it couldn't find a matching GS550 caliper, so they chose a GS750 caliper instead.
            Thank you very much! Any problems riding with the 750 on one side? Would it be better to get another 550, or should I just rebuild the ones that I have and I'll be good to go?

Again thank you, it has been a real headache

Comment

Put the twinpot Tokico's on it. You should be able to do it with those forks. Way Better braking, newer components etc. Calipers that are serviceable are usually cheap...
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by 11csive View Post
                Thank you very much! Any problems riding with the 750 on one side? Would it be better to get another 550, or should I just rebuild the ones that I have and I'll be good to go?

Again thank you, it has been a real headache
                Apart from looking odd, there shouldn't be any problems with rebuilding what you have and go with that. There's no real difference in GS750 and GS550 caliper performance. As to replacing the calipers, it depends on what is easier to find. The GS750 style caliper may be easier to find than the GS550/GS1000 calipers.

Comment

As long as the pistons are the same diameter then the calipers will work the same.

But for the price of all the seals and boots you are going to need the twin pot upgrade will be a better deal all round.
                  Current:
                  Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                  VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                  And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Another option(like you really need it)is later style "square" pad GS calipers.A bit better but not as good as a Salty Monk conversion.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys. Sorry for the late reply. Have had a couple of busy weeks. Will probably look into the twinpot upgrade as soon as possible. Seems like money well spend.

Comment

Working...
                      X