New GS1000G owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS1000G owner

Picked up my new GS last Saturday, now just getting it ready for the German TUV. Here's a small picture of it, its got a Motad exhaust and a long range tank which is quite nice. The owner said he had just had the engine apart to do the piston rings and gaskets, hope he's a good mechanic. Just got a problem now that the seat doesn't sit flat and sticks up at the back, is this a common problem, seems to be the original metal seat. Looking at the picture here it seems a little large for the bike especially at the back, maybe its off a different model

Cheers

Dave

Bend the seat back down. You can do it over your knee. I've placed the seat upside down on a towel and stood on it. It happens from people using the seat grab handle for putting it on the center stand, or pushing on it.

Nice looking bike. I have a red 1981 1000G. Good luck with the bike.
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Ha, I wondered about how sensible it was of the old owner lifting it up from just below the seat, I don't know why Suzuki in their wisdom designed a centre stand that can't lift the bike over the fulcrum and didn't provide any grab rails. Anyway gives me another good excuse to buy some pannier frames.

Comment

Suzuki provided a handle. It bolted to the frame and the left rear upper shock mount.

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
          Suzuki provided a handle. It bolted to the frame and the left rear upper shock mount.
          Thanks for the information. I'll look out for it
          Last edited by DaveWatts; 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM.

Comment

I've bought them off of E-Bay. Lots of people remove they when they put a rack of saddlebags on.

Comment

I've managed to find one on UK ebay. I also got some seat rubbers, it was missing some in the middle, I guess that's what caused it to flex. Next job mirrors, throttle cable and some slightly more laid back bars.

This is what the underside of my seat looks like

DSC_0017.jpg
              Last edited by DaveWatts; 03-29-2017, 05:56 AM.

Comment

I'm getting SO tired of "helpers"pushing the grab bar in my 78 1000 that taking it off is going to happen soon.Nice bike Dave!

Comment

Those don't look like stock handlebars. Look for stock "G" handlebars. They have a higher rise and more pull-back then what you have there.
                  Current Bikes:
                  2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                    Those don't look like stock handlebars. Look for stock "G" handlebars. They have a higher rise and more pull-back then what you have there.
                    Yes I agree, I have some better ones to try, with a rise somewhere between American bars and the European height bars that are on there at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X