Interchangeable parts GS550 pre/post '80 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interchangeable parts GS550 pre/post '80 engine

I am able to pick up a '81 GS550 engine cheap. Which parts will fit in a '78 engine? Or rather, which ones wont? It wont cost me much, but if there's almost nothing in there I can use, it wouldn't make any sense to buy it. I'm thinking top-end, cylinder etc. is the same?

(I've got the non-E with the kickstarter)

Hi ,

lots of parts are interchangeable , including the head and cylinders , carbs are different , cases on the 81 will not have the kickstart as electric only .

Comment

i am going off the australian e version

Comment

The easiest way to check is to use a parts fiche lookup on any of the dealer sites. Perhaps the easiest I have found is www.alpha-sports/suzuki_parts.htm

If you find the part number you want, copy and paste it into their look up tool, you'll get all of the other bikes that part was found on. For instance, just looking for the crankcase halves from the 1981 GS550T (part number - 11300-47812) gave me this list

Part Number Cross-Reference - Where Used
        Part Number or Accessory Name
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thank you both for the replies. I ended up finding a decent looking pre-80' engine, so I went with that. Will probably get back to have some parts inspected by some of you more experienced wrenchers and GS-lovers

Comment

The upper end (cylinders, head, etc.) will probably bolt right on, but the head is different. Dmtechnical mentioned different carbs, the intake ports on the newer heads are larger, to match the carbs.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X