Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs450t tach????

Hey everyone...
    I was hoping someone could help me out with this. I dropped my bike a few months back, and ever since then my tach has been bouncing all over the place. I replaced the cable just in case... still bouncing. It will jump all over. When I rev it to what should be like 3,000 rpms, it will jump up to 9,000, then back down, then bounce between like 2,000 and 5,000. It's kind of random... If I push up on the cable, or push down on the tach itself, I can get it to stop and work perfectly. But as soon as I let go, it starts bouncing again...
    any thoughts?
    thanks so much!

Maybe the ends of your cable are not seated quite right and only making intermittent contact with the drive gear or tack gear.
    1981 GS 1000GLX.
    1981 GS 1000G.
    1981 GS 650GLX.
    1975 TS 185.
    1972 100. Kawasaki.
    1968 100. Suzuki.
    1970 Z 50. Honda.
    1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
    1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

That sounds like it could be it... any idea what to do? It's a brand new cable. You think maybe the tach itself isn't sitting right in its little harness thing? I took the chrome back off and it seemed to be okay... it's weird bc it will work perfectly if I push the cable up or the tachometer down (on the top edge or bottom edge) it's almost as if the cable isn't going in at the right angle... the slightest push and it works... but nothing is bent or broken...
      thanks!

Comment

Maybe the way the cable is routed is making it tight for some reason and the little nub isn't fitting in correctly?
        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
        1977 GS550
        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
          Maybe the way the cable is routed is making it tight for some reason and the little nub isn't fitting in correctly?
          Good thought. It's really just going straight from the motor to the tach... just like it should be...

Comment

Sounds like the ends are not seated properly and maybe not tightened all the way in.
            1981 GS 1000GLX.
            1981 GS 1000G.
            1981 GS 650GLX.
            1975 TS 185.
            1972 100. Kawasaki.
            1968 100. Suzuki.
            1970 Z 50. Honda.
            1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
            1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

I agree- but I have tightened them up as much as possible and tried changing the way I was pushing the ends in. Nothing seems to make a difference. I ordered a new tach online- hopefully that's it...

Comment

So... I bought a new tach (actually the whole top unit- tach, speedo, and gear identifier). Everything works perfectly. When I got the old tach off I realized that the hook up was jiggling all over. Something wrong inside there... anyway- good as new!

Comment

Working...
                X