NORCAL Prepping for Long Trip - 78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
    Not sure what you mean by "engine grease".
    The small bucket of grease that you can get at any hardware or auto parts store. I guess Ill take a look at the high temp stuff. I got the gaskets today so Im putting everything back together tonight.
    The coat goes on both sides I assume?

Comment

Yes, both sides. Very light coat.
      I go with hi-temp now because you can use it on anything but it's a must for use around brake parts or any place that is subject to higher temps. It won't thin out and make a mess or get on parts you don't want it to get on.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
        I don't understand your uncle's thinking of sealant on one side and grease on the other. Which side gets the sealant and why? In the case of your valve cover gasket, you do NOT need sealant unless you've damaged the surfaces while scraping off old gasket material. Sealant will just make an unnecessary mess.
        I don't make a mess with it. That is strictly optional I put a thin layer on the top of the gasket, let it tack up, then place it on the valve cover, and let it continue to tack. It has been working for me for 40 or so years, on motorcycles of various brands and vintages. I got in the habit with the intake side valve cover gasket on an Atlas. I like the way it holds the gasket in place. It also allows the gasket to be more cleanly separated from the part than a dry gasket installation. I got in the habit of using high temperature anti seize on the other side. It has been working for me, and I'm not motivated to change. I don't have a problem with using a high temperature grease on both sides, but I've bought way too many things over the years that cost me hours of time due to gaskets that will not separate from the part without scraping.

Robert, have you found precisely where your leak is yet?
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I haven't found the leak exactly yet. I just got the new valve cover gasket and breather cap gasket. Im heading to auto parts store now to grab high temp grease. I take a look and see if they have the high temp anti-seize as well. I think im scarred from using sealant since that crap got everywhere on my last gasket and ruined it. I know i sis it wrong but still. Im good with high temp grease.

Comment

Picked up Lucas Oil Products: X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease temp up to 500F, and Red N Tacky #2, mulit-purpose grease with anti-seize in it.

I think ill stick to the heavy duty stuff with teh high temp and lightly coat it. Set it on the jugs then put the cover on last. i picked up another torque wrench since 20 bucks will save me more leaks hopefully.

Comment

Everything was working out perfectly then the inner most front bolt snapped. It had never fully gripped the head which I could tell it was going from the start.
              Hela-coil time and I haven't done this in a while. I'm getting frustrated with this bike...lol

Comment

The bolts are not all the same length. The parts book does not do a good job of describing which length goes where. Perhaps you had a 40mm where a 35mm goes, or the other way around. Did it snap, or did it strip? If you stuck a 35mm where a 40 mm belongs, and it stripped, there may well be plenty of good thread below the stripped part. If you put a 40 in where a 35 belongs, you may have bottomed out without even putting any clamping force on the valve cover. I usually replace those with ss allen ones, either from a kit from Z1 enterprizes, an order on line, or onezie twozies from my local hardware store.

The parts book does give you the diameter and the length, if you get to understand the code in the part number.
                Last edited by 850 Combat; 04-05-2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the bolt. I mentioned earlier that a couple of the bolts are longer than the others. I believe they're in the "middle area" as you're describing.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                    The bolts are not all the same length. The parts book does not do a good job of describing which length goes where. Perhaps you had a 40mm where a 35mm goes, or the other way around. Did it snap, or did it strip? If you stuck a 35mm where a 40 mm belongs, and it stripped, there may well be plenty of good thread below the stripped part. If you put a 40 in where a 35 belongs, you may have bottomed out without even putting any clamping force on the valve cover. I usually replace those with ss allen ones, either from a kit from Z1 enterprizes, an order on line, or onezie twozies from my local hardware store.

The parts book does give you the diameter and the length, if you get to understand the code in the part number.
                    All the other bolts torqed down perfectly and that one just kept going. It then slowly snapped and I pulled the bolt out and it had snapped just past where the thread begins on the bolt.
                    I'll take a look at a hela-coil, ive never personally done it but sat and watched a friend of mine. Im sure thers tons of youtube videos on it so ill be fine. Time to get the V65 going on the side though.

Comment

So do I helacoil it or re-thread it? I went to the autoparts store yesterday just to look at some solutions.

Any thoughts?

Comment

To helicoil, you need to drill out the hole, then tap it, then insert the coil into the oversized tapped hole. That means getting a drill motor in there. Is there room? Unless it was cross-threaded, a broken bolt doesn't necessarily mean that the threads in the head are ruined. I would inspect them, and maybe chase them with a tap and with a bottom tap. I really don't know what situation you are dealing with. It also never should have broken at anything close to the specified torque. 7-8 foot pounds isn't much. I'll be travelling all night and most of tomorrow. Give me a call tomorrow afternoon. I'll be in OC tomorrow.

By the way, I'll buy those brakes off of your sister's bike, if they are Weinman. I have a set of DiaCompe on my 1959 Hawthorne 3 speed I would like to change to Weinman. Normally, those only need cleaning and lubrication, not replacement.

Comment

"y the way, I'll buy those brakes off of your sister's bike, if they are Weinman. I have a set of DiaCompe on my 1959 Hawthorne 3 speed I would like to change to Weinman. Normally, those only need cleaning and lubrication, not replacement."

I don't have spare parts for that old schwin. plus even if I did you dont need to "buy" them Paul, your family.

Comment

Ive decided to take the V65 Magna on the Iron Butt and longer trips. The GS1000 just isnt as comfortable. The link below is a video i made on riding the magna for the first time in years.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh8LH9Lr3iU&t=28s

Comment

Originally posted by Caferob View Post
                              Ive decided to take the V65 Magna on the Iron Butt and longer trips. The GS1000 just isnt as comfortable. The link below is a video i made on riding the magna for the first time in years.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh8LH9Lr3iU&t=28s
                              I subscribed, really good quality for a smaller for a smaller Channel, you don't see that too often. I watched the video where you were blowing fuses on the gs, did you figure out why. And my god the view ropes were heavy in that video haha.
                              I build Pipers

Comment

Im wondering, if you dont mind
                                What gear you use, like camera, mic, and editor? Looked like it was 60fps
                                I build Pipers

Comment

Working...
                                X