Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling out JB Weld from exhaust bolt thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kodak View Post
    Well I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend. Mine was full of landscaping and working on the bike. Got the engine degreased and painted. Chances are I'll have to put a new head on but I wanted to try out painting with what I have. The picture I posted was of a spark plug thread chaser. Bluetooth headphones in talking to my mom and distractedly I began to strip the spark plug! Went to autozone and for $9 I came back and gave it a go. Seems like it worked. Will check for compression once everything is back together. Only to possibly take it off again and replace the head! Can you guys tell I enjoy suffering! Being young I still have the energy, time, and stubbornness to forge through situations that wisdom would deviate me from! Stay tuned this week is going to be all out motorcycle. After 5PM and before Survivor comes on.
    Well, I've never watched Survivor, but I have drilled out broken bolts and retapped threads before. Spark plug repair thing from Autozone in my experience did not work. There are timeserts that others have mentioned work, but I didnt try one. They are a bit pricey.

Hope you didn't let any four letter words fly in your mom's ear during that call while working on the bike!
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Hmm, maybe that would work. I heard diesel fuel and a dab of dawn dish soap is a formidable opponent of baked on crud. I did two thorough cleanings with mean green and was disappointed with the results.
      or some old gas, and carb cleaner(spray can type). i use carb cleaner A LOT to do the majority of my degreasing. but the acid brush is the key to getting in those really tough corners

Comment

Using A set of double cut carbide cutters - DING DING DING WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNEr. I hopped on amazon and ordered a set of these for next to nothing
        The two flat end cylinders did all the heavy cutting and had the tap ground mostly out within 30 mins or so.

Thanks for seeing this through and updating with what worked. I've got a broken extractor inside an exhaust bolt right now myself and was feeling very discouraged. This gives me the spit in my eye to keep chugging away. Ordering some double cut carbide cutters!

Comment

The carbide cutters did the trick. I think I ordered the same set you did. They were on Amazon for about $13. I managed to grind the bolt down to where the extractor spun itself out. Now I have a bolt that is sheared flush with a 9/64" hole right in the middle of it. Not optimal, but I think I'm better off than I was (so little was sticking out that I couldn't get vice grips on it). I've ordered some left hand drill bits and I'm going to try to just bore it out till it spins out. Something tells me I'm not going to bother with those extractors again. Some work ok on an M6 bolt or so, but seized exhaust bolt? Forget it.2319227677262222691-account_id=1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Wmdaricthompson View Post
            The carbide cutters did the trick. I think I ordered the same set you did. They were on Amazon for about $13. I managed to grind the bolt down to where the extractor spun itself out. Now I have a bolt that is sheared flush with a 9/64" hole right in the middle of it. Not optimal, but I think I'm better off than I was (so little was sticking out that I couldn't get vice grips on it). I've ordered some left hand drill bits and I'm going to try to just bore it out till it spins out. Something tells me I'm not going to bother with those extractors again. Some work ok on an M6 bolt or so, but seized exhaust bolt? Forget it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]52398[/ATTACH]
            Apply some heat to that before drilling with the left hand bit, you may get fortunate.
            You look like youre centered pretty good. Step up the drills a bit at a time until either it spins out or you start seeing threads.
            Alan

sigpic
            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
            X