Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drilling out JB Weld from exhaust bolt thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling out JB Weld from exhaust bolt thread?

Hey guys,

My build is coming along, learning a lot about my bike and my abilities. I notice previous owner had jerry rigged a way to hold one side of the exhaust flange because the bolt snapped in the engine block. Boy I wasn't right, looks like they put JB weld in the threads. What should I do about this? Drill it out and helicoil?

https://i.imgur.com/fdIO3rc.jpg

Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2017, 10:33 AM.

Originally posted by Kodak View Post
    Hey guys,

My build is coming along, learning a lot about my bike and my abilities. I notice previous owner had jerry rigged a way to hold one side of the exhaust flange because the bolt snapped in the engine block. Boy I wasn't right, looks like they put JB weld in the threads. What should I do about this? Drill it out and helicoil?

https://i.imgur.com/fdIO3rc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JGr32xs.jpg
    That's pretty nasty looking. If you think you can get a drill going in straight, that would be the ideal thing, but you may want to fill the rest of the hole with fresh JB to make a clean surface to start from. JB hardens up hard enough to tap new threads if you want to try that before going larger for helicoil.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Looking at those pics it looks to me like the PO may have broken off an eazy-out in that hole. If that's the case, then you will never be able to drill it out. If the drill bit just slides along but doesn't bite then that would confirm my suspicion. JB weld is VERY easy to drill.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        Looking at those pics it looks to me like the PO may have broken off an eazy-out in that hole. If that's the case, then you will never be able to drill it out. If the drill bit just slides along but doesn't bite then that would confirm my suspicion. JB weld is VERY easy to drill.
        Oh man I never thought about that possibility. What makes getting an easy out out so difficult? Is it too hard for even a carbide?
        Let's say that is the case. What do I do to prevent the header from leaking or being sealed properly?

Comment

An ez-out is harder than any drill bit. The only way I've found, and not always, is to bust up the ez-out into pieces with a chisel and pull the pieces out a piece at a time. It's one reason I NEVER recommend the use of an ez-out. It's a great way to run a minor problem into something major.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

EZ-outs are a lot like drill bits. You can buy lower priced EZ-outs and drill bits and have problems or you can buy more expensive quality ones and have a much better success rate. Using EZ-outs requires a good procedure, feel and the ability to recognize their limits. Machine shops use EDM machines to actually burn out broken drills, taps, and EZ-outs. But that requires the parts to be off of the bike in order to load the part into the machine.
            1981 GS 1000GLX.
            1981 GS 1000G.
            1981 GS 650GLX.
            1975 TS 185.
            1972 100. Kawasaki.
            1968 100. Suzuki.
            1970 Z 50. Honda.
            1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
            1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

It's hard to tell what's going on there, but I can't think of any reason even a brain-damaged person would snap off an EZ-out and then pack the hole full of JB Weld. Then again, people do stupid things all the time, especially POs.

Supposedly you can also remove "regular" JB weld (as opposed to the high heat version) by heating it to 600 degrees F, so it might be worth attacking it with a pencil torch. There's a lot of finned aluminum there that makes a very efficient heat sink, so I don't think a large propane torch would be able to get the epoxy hot enough. If you can at least get some of it cleared out, that would help you figure out what's in there.

You might also chuck up a smallish drill bit (1/8" or so), do your utmost damndest to drill straight, and see what happens. As noted above, JB Weld and similar epoxies drill pretty easily.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Kodak, nice pictures and good news that it's on the end of the motor so you have some access.

From my experience in dealing with these issues, you need a flat surface that you can center punch before you try drilling, so if you can get a small rotary tool like a Dremel and fit one of the grinding stones to it, see if you can flatten the top of the broken bolt first.

Looks like whoever tried to drill it has drilled way off center of the bolt and just gave up.

It's possible they tried to JB weld another bolt onto it which would never work but maybe they tried it.

I have had some luck with using a long slim, very sharp center punch to tap the bolt around, starting at the edge and working it around, we did this on ignitions that had the security shear bolts, with the right tool, I could get those out in a few minutes each but you only get a few tries at it until you make a mess out of the edge of the bolt and no meat left to bite into.

If you try the center punch method, first use heat and lots of it, and you can alternate heat and penetrating oil, just don't breathe in the fumes.

Good luck,
                2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Starting with a flat surface, as Kiwi says, is a must. Center punch as close to center as possible.
                  With a 3/16 drill bit go through the bolt as square as you can.
                  Find some drill bits with a left hand spiral and step up the diameter from 3/16 until you start seeing threads.
                  If the bolt hasn't spun out from the left hand bits you may be able to pick the threads out with a small punch and needle nose pliers.
                  If you see threads all the way around, unlikely but you may get lucky, then you may be able to manipulate threads out carefully with a tap.
                  Alan

sigpic
                  Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                  Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                  Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                  Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Gentleman,

I comeback for more advice on how to deal with this growing problem. It turns out that it is not JB weld, but rather a attempt at filling the thread with weld..? I haven't a clue. I have put myself on a ready to ride date in time for the Bedford meetup. So this is the biggest hurdle in my way and I'd like to get it behind me ASAP!
                    My questions,
                    I used a small diameter dremel grinding stone to grind the surface flat. Should I continue to do this or am I at a stopping point for a different method?
                    If I am at a stopping point what should I do next? do I drill this hole and tap it larger or do a helicoil?
                    Pictures to give an idea of what I'm dealing with, cause I sure don't!
                    Thank you for your help guys! Hoping to meet some of you and give my many thanks in person!
                    here is what I had to start with

Made progress!

Took a small 3/32 drill bit and tried to see if I could drill out the middle of the bolt/weld

Comment

I would keep drilling with the bit you're using and see if it keeps drilling. Stick the bit in one of the other holes first and put some tape on it where it bottoms out to keep from drilling to far. If you make it to the tape line bump the size of the bit and drill it again. Keep at it till you get to a bit that fit well in the other holes then try running the proper size tap and see if you can chase the original threads.
                      GSRick
                      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I take my MIG welder and lay a fat spot weld on those broke exhaust bolts. The weld will not stick to the head and it hurts nothing. Let the first fat spot weld cool and do another right on top of the first. Repeat the process till there is enough past the head surface to grab with vice grips. The heating and cooling of doing the series of spot weld help crack the corrosion seizing the bolt too.

Oil the crap out of it with your fav penetrating oil and start working it back and forth to use the threads to grind up the crud in there. Youll soon see its getting easier and easier to move the stud...then slowly start removing it ..work back and forth and be patient.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                          I would keep drilling with the bit you're using and see if it keeps drilling. Stick the bit in one of the other holes first and put some tape on it where it bottoms out to keep from drilling to far. If you make it to the tape line bump the size of the bit and drill it again. Keep at it till you get to a bit that fit well in the other holes then try running the proper size tap and see if you can chase the original threads.
                          Ok great this is what I'll do, notice that the beginning of the thread is now oblong and larger than the bolt, will that be a problem with having the bolt back out?

Comment

Originally posted by Kodak View Post
                            Ok great this is what I'll do, notice that the beginning of the thread is now oblong and larger than the bolt, will that be a problem with having the bolt back out?
                            That won't be a problem.
                            Alan

sigpic
                            Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
                            Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
                            Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
                            Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Update, because the problem stud is the 3rd cylinder that is closest to the frame I need to move the motor an inch or two. Can this be done or will I have to take the engine completely off the bike. Am I better off removing the swing arm or removing the drive shaft from the tranny?

Comment

Working...
                              X